A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:00:06 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Center of the Universe Festival  (Read 17588 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 12:06:38 pm »

I'll live in anything downtown with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and under $1per sqft
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:06 am »

It looks like info is finally starting to come out about this:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Brady_Arts_District_to_host_huge_music_festival_with/20130501_269_brady_14893?subj=298

Brady Arts District to host huge music festival with OneRepublic, Neon Trees
By JENNIFER CHANCELLOR World Scene Writer on May 1, 2013, at 5:02 AM  Updated on 5/01/13 at 8:52 AM

The inaugural Center of the Universe Festival will feature headliners Neon Trees and OneRepublic, organizers announced Wednesday.
It runs 19-20 in Tulsa’s Brady Arts District, including two outdoor stages and an array of club venues throughout the downtown district.
The festival is free and all ages. Two-day “preferred” and VIP access tickets are also available, starting at $135.

An estimated 70 acts will perform over two days, including Mayer Hawthorne, Mutemath and Churchill, along with Bronze Radio Return, Yo Mamma’s Big Fat Booty Band, Quiet Company, What Made Milwaukee Famous, Eric Himan and Dante & the Hawks.

Other event activities include a water play area, artist concessions and more.

“The Brady District provides a perfect layout to support a music festival of this caliber,” said Phil Kaiser, festival co-organizer and owner of Cosmo Café in Brookside and Laffa Medi-Eastern Restaurant & Bar in the Brady District. “The bars and clubs in the area support the local music scene already and the Guthrie Green stage allows for up-and-coming artists to perform at a major music festival in front of a large audience free of charge.”

More bands will be announced soon, organizers said.

Oklahoma-tied pop-rocker OneRepublic will launch its next tour from the festival when it plays July 19. The band is fronted by Tulsa native and Grammy winner Ryan Tedder.
Outdoor stages will be the main stage near north Main and Easton, across from Cain’s Ballroom; the second stage will be at Guthrie Green, 111 E. Brady St.
Music will run 5-11 p.m. both nights. Also, emerging artists from the regional and national soundscape will fill participating clubs throughout the district for intimate performances until close.

The festival is named for the quirky roadside landmark in the heart of the district, the Center of the Universe.
“Tulsa’s music history is rich and thousands of supportive fans attend live music shows week in and week out, so having a major music festival just makes sense,” said Chris Lieberman, co-organizer of the Center of the Universe Festival.
Lieberman also is the executive director of the Williams Route 66 Marathon, now in its eighth year.

The festival’s location also allows for easy access to music venues, bars, restaurants, hotels and retail shops, organizers said.
“We’re obviously excited about launching the first year of the festival, but we’re even more excited as we look to the future for what this event will become,” Lieberman said.
Venues offering music on Friday and Saturday nights after the outdoor stages have closed will be open to the public with no cover charge, although age restrictions may apply at some locations.

The Center of the Universe Festival is a non-profit music festival.
All proceeds benefit expansion of the downtown trolley service.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Boksooner
Activist

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »

I'm sad that I will be out of town during this festival. Hopefully, it will become an annual event. I miss dFest.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:36:49 am »

All proceeds benefit expansion of the trolley service?

I know it has potential, but it is a scantily used service at this time. To expand it doesn't mean it will get more use. The vehicles themselves are hard riding, difficult to enter/exit relics of the seventies era and generally have one or two people on them unless in a parade.

I love the idea of this festival and intend to be there but I wish we could expand our vision of what a trolley service could be rather than adding more of what we have. If I see tons of people using them in this festival then I'll change my opinion.

onward...through the fog
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

All proceeds benefit expansion of the trolley service?

I know it has potential, but it is a scantily used service at this time. To expand it doesn't mean it will get more use. The vehicles themselves are hard riding, difficult to enter/exit relics of the seventies era and generally have one or two people on them unless in a parade.

I love the idea of this festival and intend to be there but I wish we could expand our vision of what a trolley service could be rather than adding more of what we have. If I see tons of people using them in this festival then I'll change my opinion.

Right now we really need the money to keep the trolley going, as in "expand" it from this quarter to the next, and to perhaps expand its hours/days. I have heard many of the businesses, restaurants and hotels say they really appreciate having the trolley available for their customers, especially those from out of town. Remember this is not funded by the city but is an effort by local businesses, donors and people like myself pulling money out of our own pockets to chip in and get this going.  It's not perfect, but goodness we are doing what we can.  Good ol Republican, conservatism at work, no government, just private enterprises and foundations making it happen. If the people want it they will pay for it. That's what we are all about in this state right? So if you want better... chip in! With this type of deal, aint nobody else to complain to but yourself.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »

Would the businesses being served be interested in a better trolley? Or a better vehicle to serve their needs?

Does the person running the festival have an interest in the trolleys? I don't know who runs these particular trolleys but I think it can be done with more creativity and visibility. The vehicles are tired and uncomfortable. Even so, the dated old trolleys in OKC have ridership.

Is it free? There has been lots of activity at night downtown north of the tracks for quite some time yet I see little ridership. I took a field trip of kids to the Brady district during the day and noted the Trolley signs peppered around the area with pick up times, yet I never saw one travel through at all. Just sayin', as a businessman, conservative, republican or not, this has to find its niche or disappear. As noted before on here, there has to be frequent pickups (10-15minutes apart) high visibility and lots of stops.

As a donor, you might want to ask the service provider why the ridership is so low and the visibility so scant.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »

I have heard many of the businesses, restaurants and hotels say they really appreciate having the trolley available for their customers, especially those from out of town. Remember this is not funded by the city but is an effort by local businesses, donors and people like myself pulling money out of our own pockets to chip in and get this going. 

I hope they are all chipping in to fund the faux-trolley.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:44 pm »

Would the businesses being served be interested in a better trolley? Or a better vehicle to serve their needs?

Does the person running the festival have an interest in the trolleys? I don't know who runs these particular trolleys but I think it can be done with more creativity and visibility. The vehicles are tired and uncomfortable. Even so, the dated old trolleys in OKC have ridership.

Is it free? There has been lots of activity at night downtown north of the tracks for quite some time yet I see little ridership. I took a field trip of kids to the Brady district during the day and noted the Trolley signs peppered around the area with pick up times, yet I never saw one travel through at all. Just sayin', as a businessman, conservative, republican or not, this has to find its niche or disappear. As noted before on here, there has to be frequent pickups (10-15minutes apart) high visibility and lots of stops.

As a donor, you might want to ask the service provider why the ridership is so low and the visibility so scant.

I would think they would entertain a bid from another trolley owner if he could offer better and or more service per the budget.

Yes the trolley is free (for the riders)

The trolley runs Friday and Saturday evenings from 5:30pm-1:30am "

As a donor, you might want to ask the service provider why the ridership is so low and the visibility so scant."

He will run as much as we will pay him too lol. They don't do this for free.  

Reminds me of the people who complain that the Art Deco Museum hours are so limited or that its so small.  I say "Volunteer sign up sheet is right there."  and "Donation jar is right here."  What I keep to myself is... "If you can start an Art Deco Museum and do better, PLEASE DO!" lol, ain't nobody stopping you.  Nobody else did for generations, don't grumble about what we are trying to do now.   Then I have to remind myself that it's not a bad thing that people want more, it's a good thing that people want more.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:05:48 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 05:59:51 pm »

I hope they are all chipping in to fund the faux-trolley.

Not even close.  Would be so much better if even half did lol.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 06:26:07 pm »

One of the hazards of using these vehicles and calling them a trolley is that if these vehicles fail, then the word trolley is associated with failure to draw a ridership.  I understand the reality of financing these things so I am sympathetic to Artist and his fellow merchants.  A downtown circulator will ultimately be needed to provide an urban environment.  These vehicles may not be the answer.  In fact, they may ultimately delay or stop a rail guided circulator.  It may be better to provide a small, comfortable bus which is painted in a very visible "livery" and mark the route so it is "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer". (Old college saying by lazy professors.)  If it cannot be free, make it inexpensive and easy.  An all day pass is a must.

Trolley 101:
The first electric trolleys rode terrible and had hard wooden seats.  The alternative was walking.

Trolley 102:
Improvements were made. Upholstered seats were a big improvement.  Improvements to the trucks (the wheel and motor mechanisms) were made.  Dual trucks rode better than single trucks.  Unfortunately, in most cases, the rails themselves were falling into disrepair for a multitude of reasons.  Motor buses started to appear.

Trolley 103:
General Motors, Firestone tires, and Standard Oil saw an opportunity to get rid of trolleys and replace them with GM buses riding on Firestone tires, fueled by Standard Oil. They ultimately succeeded.  They were also taken to court, lost, and got a slap on the hand. Automobiles were also competing successfully with the older trolleys.

Trolley 201:
In 1929 the Electric Railway Presidents' Conference Committee was formed to design a trolley that could beat the competition.  Over a few years, they designed set of specifications for trolleys to be built under license. They were commonly called PCC cars after the ERPCC.  Approximately 5000 were built for the US and Canada. Another 15,000 PCCs or cars using PCC patents were built in various configurations around the world.  These trolleys were very successful but ultimately fell for various reasons around the country.  They were used in several cities for decades.  Phila, Toronto, Boston, St Louis, Kansas City, San Francisco.  The last new ones were built around 1949.  I recommend reading "PCC - The Car That Fought Back" by Carlson and Schneider.  1980, Interurban Press.  There are copies available at used book stores on the internet.  Some have been restored and are in daily use in San Francisco.  Some were rebuilt/upgraded for a route in Philadelphia, PA.

Trolley 202:
New Orleans has had nearly continuous trolley service since the early 20th century.  They have older, pre PCC style trolleys.  I believe they have built some of their own in the same style. 

Trolley 301:
Rail guided, real trolleys are making a comeback.  Some cities are using replicas of old style quaint trolleys.  Some are using modern ones.

See also:
http://sacramentohistory.blogspot.com/2007/10/what-isand-isnta-trolley.html

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 06:27:48 pm »

Not even close.  Would be so much better if even half did lol.

Would it be uncouth to put a sign in the trolley indicating that the FREE trolley is made possible by the following sponsors, and then list those paying?

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 01:16:50 am »

Was there again tonite. Trolley's empty. They are doing something wrong or there is no demand for the service. Maybe daytime runs would be better. More money, more trolley's aren't likely to help.

I think its a noble effort but my gut feeling is that particular style has run its course or they aren't able to market the routes well. Most of those folks there tonight were walking. As the night went on they were stumbling, staggering and leaning. Even then they didn't ride. The biggest carrier of people were the cabs, party buses and limos. All at a price.

RA a railed trolley would be nice and would serve as an attraction in and of itself. Even with simple straight routes. Thanks for the history.

onward...through the fog
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 09:42:45 am »

Was there again tonite. Trolley's empty. They are doing something wrong or there is no demand for the service. Maybe daytime runs would be better. More money, more trolley's aren't likely to help.

I think its a noble effort but my gut feeling is that particular style has run its course or they aren't able to market the routes well. Most of those folks there tonight were walking. As the night went on they were stumbling, staggering and leaning. Even then they didn't ride. The biggest carrier of people were the cabs, party buses and limos. All at a price.

RA a railed trolley would be nice and would serve as an attraction in and of itself. Even with simple straight routes. Thanks for the history.

Perhaps we are doing something wrong, we have lots of ideas on how to improve things and make changes, but not lots of money to do those things.  Maybe in time.  As for demand, I don't think any of us expect it to be taken to right off.  Kind of reminds me of the parking thing in the Brady District as well.  Saw on the news a while back one of the businesses in the Brady saying they needed a parking garage because people would complain that there wasn't enough parking, and his "enlightened" take on it was that it should be on the outskirts of the district or edge of downtown.  I couldn't help but think... "But there is already a huge parking garage even closer to his business than anything he is proposing that is available and hardly used."  These things take time to develop and to get people used to the fact that they are there, available, how to use them, etc. etc.  I of course would love a railed trolley, a real trolley.  But we are doing what we can to at least get something.  Not perfect, but hopefully in time we can improve things. Or if not, hey, at least we tried something.  If you have ideas on what we could do to improve things, bring it on.  For our part we are chipping in $50 a month, and places that stand to benefit even more than we for they have a stop right by them like the Mayo have not as of yet chipped in.  The trolley was originally just for the Brady and Blue Dome areas then we in the Deco District wanted to see it come our way so offered what support we could muster to get it to go to our side of downtown. Would love to see more frequent stops, better advertising, permanent stops with signage and estimated arrival times, etc.. There is only so much you can do on a tight budget. 

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

Some really great ideas were discussed around here on previous threads about stimulating usage of the trolleys. I think its going to be a tough battle to get the public used to them. A big part of the formula is that the demos have changed since those trolleys were introduced. The disposable income available to downtown evening partiers is large enough that they don't look at the trolleys as an option. Simply put, they aren't cool anymore. They go for cabs, limos and party buses or they walk. They do appeal to older folks like me or RA but those folks don't dominate the downtown after hours scene.

In other words they are looking for a red barn with a blue light. To me the trolleys should concentrate on moving daytime crowds and blow off the after 5 business. that was Bill White's model and would truly benefit your business.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:33 am »

They do appeal to older folks like me or RA but those folks don't dominate the downtown after hours scene.

Actually, those particular vehicles do not appeal to me.  Buses in general do not appeal to me.  I still remember waiting for departure in the trolley at 69th St Terminal (Upper Darby, just outside Phila, PA).  The trolley was quiet except for the occasional sound of the air compressor.  Even in the trolly, you could hear and smell the near-by diesel buses making noise and smelly exhaust and in general being obnoxious.  But, even for a real trolley, I would still make a walk/ride decision based on distance, wait time, and weather. Oh yeah, and cost.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:08:40 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org