A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:26 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Peppers  (Read 8412 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« on: March 23, 2013, 03:44:56 pm »

For all you (other) crazy pepper growers, Carmichael's Produce in Bixby is going to have Bhut Jolokia plants this year.

Carmichael's is on the SW corner of 148th and Memorial at the first traffic light south of the river.

They have a bunch of lettuce, cabbage etc and tomatoes and some of the milder hot peppers out now.  The hotter peppers aren't ready yet.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:50:29 pm »

For all you (other) crazy pepper growers, Carmichael's Produce in Bixby is going to have Bhut Jolokia plants this year.

Carmichael's is on the SW corner of 148th and Memorial at the first traffic light south of the river.

They have a bunch of lettuce, cabbage etc and tomatoes and some of the milder hot peppers out now.  The hotter peppers aren't ready yet.

Se ya down there Red. This is one of my fav vids of man vs. ghost pepper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvK2Y1hv9mY

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:43:04 pm »

Have to pass on the ghost peppers, no point.  Reasonable heat is one thing, knocking a hole in the back of my neck is another.  We will do more New Mexican PDL's or 180's, jalapeños, bells, poblanos and probably some big jim's this year.

Oh, I used some of Skeet's Helper as part of a rib rub a few weeks ago- just right!!!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:22:49 am »

Have to pass on the ghost peppers, no point.  Reasonable heat is one thing, knocking a hole in the back of my neck is another.  We will do more New Mexican PDL's or 180's, jalapeños, bells, poblanos and probably some big jim's this year.

Oh, I used some of Skeet's Helper as part of a rib rub a few weeks ago- just right!!!

Try a few Serrano plants.  They are popular for hot salsa.  They are about as hot as a cayenne, aka red pepper on the spice racks.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »

You are thinking about peppers solely on heat (which I know is the title of this thread), but there are flavor components. Try making anything "jerk" or Caribbean for that matter and use something other than Scotch bonnets or habanero. There is a difference. I will give you that ghost peppers bring little flavor to the table.

Let me know if you are heading to NM again for the big jims. I really like those--and I get the added bonus of putting on some little girl pants give their heat level.  Grin

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:25:12 pm »

Red, the Skeet's pepper blend is IDEAL on ham and beans/soups. Perfect. Again, thanks.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:06 am »

I’m still hoarding my ’09 Skeet’s Helper.  I’ve got a bag of peppers I think would be perfect for you Guido, just a bit hotter than MC and I care for.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:32 am »

Let me know if you are heading to NM again for the big jims. I really like those--and I get the added bonus of putting on some little girl pants give their heat level.  Grin

Ooooohhhhh.....  T  M  I  !!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:50 am »

I’m still hoarding my ’09 Skeet’s Helper.  I’ve got a bag of peppers I think would be perfect for you Guido, just a bit hotter than MC and I care for.

'09 Skeet's Helper is almost gone.  This year's pepper crop got a late start and is kind of wimpy.  Fortunately I have dried peppers since '09 to make '14.  Cheesy

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:26:59 am »

We’ve still got so many Hatch left from last year’s trip we are debating even getting more peppers, but we’ve developed a tradition for roasting them with the cannon_fodders and I’ve already brewed my agave Hatch chile ale for the roasting party.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 01:29:18 pm »

Today is (was, they are sold out in Bixby) Hatch Chile day at Doc's Country Mart. However, if you want to roast them yourself you can get fresh Hatch Chiles at Sprouts.  $.68/lb and you can get a small quantity if you want.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:11 pm »

No trip west this year, figured Sprouts, Whole Paycheck, and Reasors for them this year.  Crap, we’ve still got quite a few from last year.  The “Mediums” were pretty stout so they’ve been used judiciously.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 10:58:34 pm »

The “Mediums” were pretty stout so they’ve been used judiciously.

I bought 3 lb of the "hot" ones.  I roasted, peeled, and de-seeded them and stuck them in the fridge.  I'll vacuum pack most of them soon.  I made some corn tortillas tonight.  I put some strips of freshly grilled chicken breast, chopped onion and chile from today in the tortilla for dinner.  Yummy.  I find the hot Hatch Chiles to have a noticeable heat but they are not really hot. Then again, I put 2 Habos in my lunch salad that fits in a 9 oz container.

Right now I have more regular orange Habos than red Habos.  I like the red ones a bit better.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:06:46 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 07:02:13 pm »

I bought 3 lb of the "hot" ones.  I roasted, peeled, and de-seeded them and stuck them in the fridge.  I'll vacuum pack most of them soon.  I made some corn tortillas tonight.  I put some strips of freshly grilled chicken breast, chopped onion and chile from today in the tortilla for dinner.  Yummy.  I find the hot Hatch Chiles to have a noticeable heat but they are not really hot. Then again, I put 2 Habos in my lunch salad that fits in a 9 oz container.

Right now I have more regular orange Habos than red Habos.  I like the red ones a bit better.

You, sir, are a freak. Wink

I believe we got some which were mislabeled.  One thing about Hatch which I find is unique is the burn is back of the tongue and further down whereas habanero, cayenne, jalapeño when too hot attacks the tip of the tongue and lips which ruins the rest of the meal.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 07:22:54 pm »

When I first had Hatch chili's several years ago, I found them quite tasty and really made the nachos the ex and I were sharing really good. 15 minutes later I had to ask the bartender if the AC had quit working as I sat sweating, his response, "First time having hatch chili's?"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org