A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:20:56 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here blizzard, blizzard, blizzard!  (Read 72670 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 01:31:51 pm »

Ok, so they are nice guys, but they really stired up a panic none the less. "White-Death" is coming! Why such a panic & hype for just a few inches of snow anyhow?

Because many of them work for a WFO...a group of counties usually 20 or more.  You do realize that much of NW Oklahoma were under blizzard conditions, right?...oh, nevermind...

And point me to where they were saying the 'white death' was coming.

For someone who espouses to the climate change model followed by Inhofe, you'd be the last person's advice I'd take on the subject of climate or weather.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:34:12 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 02:01:26 pm »

Ok, so they are nice guys, but they really stired up a panic none the less. "White-Death" is coming! Why such a panic & hype for just a few inches of snow anyhow?
since when does predicting 2 - 4 inches of snow equate saying white death is coming? People panicked and caused the hype all on their own.  

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20:55 pm »

since when does predicting 2 - 4 inches of snow equate saying white death is coming? People panicked and caused the hype all on their own.  

If we all ignored him, he would eventually poison someone else's well.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:26 pm »

If we all ignored him, he would eventually poison someone else's well.

He used to post over at the Whirled.  If THEY ran him off, that says a lot...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 03:11:16 pm »

Meh, he's kind of like a King Of The Hill character.  I can almost hear a Hank Hill twang when he writes.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 03:16:41 pm »

Meh, he's kind of like a King Of The Hill character.  I can almost hear a Hank Hill twang when he writes.

"Dammit, Bobbuh!"

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 03:16:49 pm »

Hank Hill's character was sometimes likable.
marc
Activist

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 03:46:42 pm »

The television news media tends to hype things, especially the national television news media.

I don't think the weather guys like Travis intentionally hype things, they are just trying to warn people about a potential danger. Every spring storm season people complain when their TV shows are interrupted by weather coverage, but I admire what the meteorologists do. I never did get it straight what happened to Jon Slater at KOKI a few years ago, but if he was suspended (and subsequently quit) for interrupting American Idol, that is shameful. I didn't know he was in OKC now until I saw it in the recent Chera Kimiko thread.

Most of the time nothing happens, but when something like OKC May 1999 or Joplin May 2011 occurs, it's serious. It's better to err on the side of caution.

I am a fan of the weather men and women, and have been since I was a kid watching Don Woods and Lee Woodward. Like everyone I might make a joke when they miss the mark, like with the snowfall amounts the other day, but I think they are doing good work.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 03:47:26 pm »

The television news media tends to hype things, especially the national television news media.

I don't think the weather guys like Travis intentionally hype things, they are just trying to warn people about a potential danger. Every spring storm season people complain when their TV shows are interrupted by weather coverage, but I admire what the meteorologists do. I never did get it straight what happened to Jon Slater at KOKI a few years ago, but if he was suspended (and subsequently quit) for interrupting American Idol, that is shameful. I didn't know he was in OKC now until I saw it in the recent Chera Kimiko thread.

Most of the time nothing happens, but when something like OKC May 1999 or Joplin May 2011 occurs, it's serious. It's better to err on the side of caution.

I am a fan of the weather men and women, and have been since I was a kid watching Don Woods and Lee Woodward. Like everyone I might make a joke when they miss the mark, like with the snowfall amounts the other day, but I think they are doing good work.

Slater had more problems than interrupting American Idol...trust me.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 03:53:59 pm »

Watch my avatar and tell her all about it.
marc
Activist

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 03:56:25 pm »

I see he is still with Fox, at channel 25 down in OKC. I always liked him, but don't know any of the insider stuff.

I remember him well during the big May 3, 1999 event, he was with KTUL-8 then, and was on the turnpike as the tornado moved to the northeast.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »

The blizzard was never gonna happen for us.  I guess some people don't pay attention.   Roll Eyes

What was predicted was pretty much what happened.
Sometimes people don't realize these predictions are not just for Tulsa metro, but the entire area a broadcast signal reaches.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »

What was predicted was pretty much what happened.
Sometimes people don't realize these predictions are not just for Tulsa metro, but the entire area a broadcast signal reaches.

It's not like they didn't show a map of the affected area and how many inches and what type of precip was predicted.  Tulsa was on the thin end.  They were pretty clear that south Tulsa County might only see a dusting.   That was a pretty good indicator of 1 to 3" in mid-town.  No reason to raid Reasor's, top off the tank, and test fire the generator over that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 04:13:36 pm »

It's not like they didn't show a map of the affected area and how many inches and what type of precip was predicted.  Tulsa was on the thin end.  They were pretty clear that south Tulsa County might only see a dusting.   That was a pretty good indicator of 1 to 3" in mid-town.  No reason to raid Reasor's, top off the tank, and test fire the generator over that.

...however.

There have been instances where the forecast was off by quite a bit in the other way.

I still went to the store, but not because of the storm.  Out of groceries.  And went Saturday morning so it wasn't crazy.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »

...however.

There have been instances where the forecast was off by quite a bit in the other way.

I still went to the store, but not because of the storm.  Out of groceries.  And went Saturday morning so it wasn't crazy.

Big meat sale at Reasor's was the only reason we went and needing some mushrooms for a stew idea I had.  I looked around and said to MC, "it's not the first or 15th, what the hell are all these people doing here?"  She replied "Snowpocalypse".  Literally 9 or 10 lanes open when there's usually no more than four or five on a Sunday.  Good business for Jeff Reasor.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org