A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:16:06 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here blizzard, blizzard, blizzard!  (Read 72818 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2014, 11:12:00 am »

http://www.businessinsider.com/cold-weather-doesnt-discredit-global-warming-2014-1

How about the record hot temperatures right now that Australia is seeing?  Siberia is also warmer than normal.  Let's remember that the world doesn't consist solely of America, and the phrase is "Global"....

Reality is a tough pill for some...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:42 pm »

That Al Gore picture is a hoot, ya know the global warming alarmists even have excuses for the ships stuck in the ice at the south pole and the bitter cold snap we had.  One claim was the north pole was getting so warm that it pushed the cold air down the globe, (the polar warm air displaced the cold polar air and the cold air moved south), others say the melting polar ice sheets broke apart and drifted south in the ocean and the ice chilled the ocean and chilled the air making for the cold weather... I  Remember the talk in 2005 the global warming wackos said that we'd have bad hurricanes every year because of global warming- we'll have Katrinas every year, well so far we went 7 or 8 years with no big hurricanes. Actually global warming is not really about science anyhow, it's a political movement, they are using climate alarmism to try and control the people and make regulations.

There is no doubt among scientists, this has no business being a political issue. The right (again) is ignoring science, ignoring reality. It's a bad trend.

Noted liberal rag Popular Science has an article out today on just this topic.   Geochemist James Lawrence Powell has reviewed every peer reviewed and published paper on climate science since 1991. That's 16,208 total articles. Of that total only 25 rejected human caused climate change. That is less than .2% (notice the point) of the total articles.

In the last year there have been 2,258 published papers and only one rejected man’s causing global warming. Those 2,258 were written by a total of 9,136 scientists. One lonely author wrote that singe dissenting paper.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/infographic-scientists-who-doubt-human-caused-climate-change?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=5&con=infographic-scientists-who-doubt-humancaused-climate-change

They have a fun graphic on what percentage of real scientists that work on climate think humans are causing global warming:

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »

Here are some exerts from an interesting article…

Americans are Weather Weenies…

As the world warms, the United States is getting fewer bitter cold spells like the one that gripped much of the nation this week. So when a deep freeze strikes, scientists say, it seems more unprecedented than it really is.

When computer models estimated that the national average daily temperature for the Lower 48 states dropped to 17.9 degrees on Monday, it was the first deep freeze of that magnitude in 17 years, …

cold extremes have happened about once every four years since 1900.

Until recently.

That stretch — from Jan. 13, 1997 to Monday — is by far the longest the U.S. has gone without the national average plunging below 18 degrees, according to a database of daytime winter temperatures starting in January 1900.

In the past 115 years, there have been 58 days when the national average temperature dropped below 18. Carbin said those occurrences often happen in periods that last several days so it makes more sense to talk about cold outbreaks instead of cold days. There have been 27 distinct cold snaps.

Between 1970 and 1989, a dozen such events occurred, but there were only two in the 1990s and then none until Monday.

..."It's become a lot harder to get these extreme (cold) outbreaks in a planet that's warming."

There have been far more unusually warm winter days in the U.S. than unusually cold ones.

Since Jan. 1, 2000, only two days have ranked in the top 100 coldest: Monday and Tuesday. But there have been 13 in the top 100 warmest winter days, including the warmest since 1900: Dec. 3, 2012. And that pattern is exactly what climate scientists have been saying for years, that the world will get more warm extremes and fewer cold extremes.

... the scientists dismiss global warming skeptics who claim one or two cold days somehow disproves climate change.

"When your hands are freezing off trying to scrape the ice off your car, it can be all too tempting to say, 'Where's global warming now? I could use a little of that!' But you know what? It's not as cold as it used to be anymore," Texas Tech University climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe said in an email.

http://www.newsdaily.com/article/eb8ea06e0276014fc6597bf90b8cf4f5/scientists-americans-are-becoming-weather-wimps

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »

Definitely different from when I grew up.  And it was dryer here, then, too.  Fewer of the big lakes adding humidity to the region, I'm guessing.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2014, 11:16:21 pm »

This is as good a thread as any to let people know that Hitler is fed up with Al Gore and his hypocrisy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfr37Xn9IL8[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2014, 11:30:12 pm »

This is as good a thread as any to let people know that Hitler is fed up with Al Gore and his hypocrisy.

You really seem to be WAY to obsessed with this Hitler guy.... we got to get you a steady diet of "Too Cute - Puppies" on Animal Planet!!

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/too-cute/videos/naughty-puppy.htm

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:33:03 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:28 am »

You really seem to be WAY to obsessed with this Hitler guy.... we got to get you a steady diet of "Too Cute - Puppies" on Animal Planet!!

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/too-cute/videos/naughty-puppy.htm

Naw, I am too busy obsessing over Moochelle Obama. But you MUST like downfall videos.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:38 am »

Yeah... I kinda do...

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »

Naw, I am too busy obsessing over Moochelle Obama. But you MUST like downfall videos.

Everyone loved downfall videos. Like 5 years ago. Get with the times, man. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

At this moment, there are thousands of people trapped on roads in Atlanta from an ice storm. 
Many have been in their cars/trucks/buses over 24 hours now, out of gas, water, food and heat.

The state blames forecasters for not warning them.
I have a tough time fathoming that, because given the enthusiasm forecasters here, I dont see weathermen snoozing through an opportunity to demonstrate an abundance of caution.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

A Chic-fil-a down the road gave out hundreds of free meals to people stranded on the 280 in Atlanta, then invited them to come sleep at the restaurant.

Lots of other businesses chipped in and opened their doors to the stranded as well.  Sad situation, but nice to see such acts of human kindness.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:05 pm »

A Chic-fil-a down the road gave out hundreds of free meals to people stranded on the 280 in Atlanta, then invited them to come sleep at the restaurant.

Lots of other businesses chipped in and opened their doors to the stranded as well.  Sad situation, but nice to see such acts of human kindness.

Wonder if any of their boycotters refused the free meals.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:02 am »

Someone go to this web site and post this GIF. I'm not computer savvy enough.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#2014/01/30/0000Z/wind/isobaric/10hPa/orthographic=-82.04,33.38,356

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2014, 01:38:16 pm »

We cant be too hard on the state of Georgia for not paying attention to weather forecasts,
our state just did something similar by trying to pull a random smattering of unrelated publicity-getters into one big "operation", only to have it snowed out:

State troopers are launching a special operation this weekend to target criminal activity in Tulsa County, including illegal drug users.

Troopers say "Operation Safe Road" will run for one week in an effort to reduce the number of traffic collisions and criminal activity in and around the Tulsa metro area.
Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers will target crimes such as illegal drug possession, illegally transporting weapons, illegal possession of prescription drugs, knowingly concealing stolen property and other crimes.
An undisclosed number of patrolmen will be assigned to the operation and troopers will work with the Tulsa County district attorney to put criminal cases together for prosecution.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/troopers-to-conduct-special-operation-in-tulsa-county/article_dc21de5a-8a9f-11e3-aee5-001a4bcf6878.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2014, 06:49:03 pm »

http://splashurl.com/nelc5wy

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org