A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:28 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Central Library Major Renovation  (Read 10246 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:58 am »

What's a library?

It's a backup copy of the internet.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

Last Sign Comes Down in Latest Central Library Renovation Update

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/last-sign-comes-down-latest-central-library-renovation-update

The last Central Library sign comes down as renovations continue on the downtown branch.

Tulsa City-County Library CEO Gary Shaffer said interior demolition is complete.

"Plumbing piping has been installed. Heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment is being installed. Interior wall framing is underway. Cutouts between floors for new stairs and elevators are complete," Shaffer said. "Electrical systems are being installed, and, fortunately, there have been no accidents to delay work and, overall, we are on schedule for the project."

Total cost for the renovation is $50 million. Shaffer said the library just got the first portion of voter-approved funds from the city.

"Upcoming milestones, again, in construction will include rebuilding stairs to meet new building codes, drywall installation, new thermal windows will be installed, a new roof, new exterior wall panels where the river rock panels have been removed and the beginning of the parking garage construction," Shaffer said.

Private donors have given more than $30 million toward the project. A fundraising campaign will continue, with proceeds from library merchandise going toward the renovation.

Though Shaffer is ready for the next step in the project, he took a moment to share other library news. The entire system is in the running for the 2015 National Medal for Museum and Library Service.

"[It's] the highest honor that a library can achieve," Shaffer said. "We are a finalist, we are not yet a winner. There are 30 finalists, museums and libraries from across the country."

Ten winners of the federal award will be announced, likely sometime in April. More than 150 institutions were nominated.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 04:13:06 pm »

Good riddance, that thing was fugly
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »

Related Tulsa World article:

August 23, 2016 Librarium customer appreciation event

I hope they'll keep using the Dewey Decimal System...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 07:41:11 pm »

Related Tulsa World article:

August 23, 2016 Librarium customer appreciation event

I hope they'll keep using the Dewey Decimal System...

“Dewey” is a bad word around this town.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 07:52:36 pm »

And Bartlett is a square in Tulsa. It fits the decimal math theme.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 07:34:08 am »

Not in my book.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 10:47:29 am »

Not in my book.

Sadness.

Sad

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »

Okay, I'll try again:

Not in my books...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »

Okay, I'll try again:

Not in my books...

Sadness'

Sad Sad Sad

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 12:58:44 pm »

And again:

As a library, the old Safeway store had its limitations.  It was never anything more than a single story building.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »

And again:

As a library, the old Safeway store had its limitations.  It was never anything more than a single story building.

ba dum, ching...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »

And again:

I am gonna copy these and use them on the kids!  They are gonna "love" it....

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 11:37:36 am »

And again:

I had to read that twice.  Then it made me snort.

Thanks for the chuckle. Smiley

By the way, does anyone remember what a library is?  I'm sort of worried that if you close something for too long, people get used to living without it and just move on.

Of course, if that philosophy holds true, maybe we can turn Riverside Drive into an enormous skate park...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org