A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:56:07 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Central Library Major Renovation  (Read 10421 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:32 am »

http://www.ktul.com/story/21255500/extreme-makeover-library-edition-tulsas-main-library-unveils-its-future

New structured parking? Direct access on the new 5th street? Temporarily moving to the old homeland?

Only think I'm surprised about is the lack of new space considering they already have more stuff than places to put it.

I wonder if they plan on keeping homeland afterwards as storage, and you just check out materials from there to whichever location.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:26:08 am by sgrizzle » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:41 am »

I tried to use their online service to read a book but was unable to because my card had expired.

I tried to bring it up to date online.

You have to go in to a Tulsa library building to update your card.

I finished that situation with a shoulder shrug and placed my old library card in a drawer in my desk and moved on.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:44 am »

I tried to use their online service to read a book but was unable to because my card had expired.

I finished that situation with a shoulder shrug and placed my old library card in a drawer in my desk and moved on.

I got an email saying I had a card expiring.

There are four people in my family. We all have cards. It didn't say whose card was expiring.

I shrugged and figured that if I have to use it, then they can chew me out.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:50 am »

Don't really like or dislike the renovation/remodel. Exterior looks cleaned up and classic, but could have added a little more interest and fun to the interior design versus paring it down even further.  I am all for modern and clean lines, to a point, but even then it has to have some "sole or feeling" to it via the over all design.  Perhaps with some art pieces here and there. Also, not a big fan of the glass railing. First thought was "fingerprint city" will have to have someone cleaning it every day which will only add to the maintenance work/costs.  Will look very nice if kept clean, if not, will make everything feel run down and dirty.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

Okay, if you can read a book from their collection on-line, wouldn't it make sense to be able to renew your card on-line as well?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:14 am »

Okay, if you can read a book from their collection on-line, wouldn't it make sense to be able to renew your card on-line as well?

I thought so too.  I called to make sure before I did the shoulder shrug. 

The person with the library was very nice about it and pointed out it doesn't take much time.

I simply decided to spend my time in other ways.

As far as the thread goes, I'm glad they're finally able to update the central location.  I hope this leads to the old Safeway location getting used for something in the future.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »

Also, not a big fan of the glass railing. First thought was "fingerprint city" will have to have someone cleaning it every day which will only add to the maintenance work/costs.  Will look very nice if kept clean, if not, will make everything feel run down and dirty.

They used an oleophobic coating on glass like that which resists that kind of thing.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:40 pm »

They used an oleophobic coating on glass like that which resists that kind of thing.

->oleophobic<-

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »

I thought so too.  I called to make sure before I did the shoulder shrug. 

The person with the library was very nice about it and pointed out it doesn't take much time.

I simply decided to spend my time in other ways.

As far as the thread goes, I'm glad they're finally able to update the central location.  I hope this leads to the old Safeway location getting used for something in the future.
I had to go to the courthouse a couple of weeks ago and parked in the library parking, and figured since I needed some materials for an assignment, I could use that as an excuse to validate my parking.  Took about five minutes to get my wife's card renewed and both of our information updated.   Now if only I could log on to the site to set up a password for logging on...
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 03:36:37 pm »

->oleophobic<-

oleophobic: fear of margarine
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 04:53:30 pm »

Will it also resist Drunkards? 

bada boom.  Grin

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 06:41:23 pm »

Will it also resist Drunkards? 

bada boom.  Grin

That's hobophobic
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

oleophobic: fear of margarine

That's why there's butter....so no one has to be afflicted with margarine.....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:29:23 am »

What's a library?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:34:14 am »

What's a library?

The place people from Omaha live in.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org