A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:10:40 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Immoral Crazy Talk’  (Read 4398 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« on: February 18, 2013, 05:02:20 pm »

not me....

But get this from FOX. Basically, you keep 'em uneducated and they become Fox 'News' 'reporters'!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_pQoiYzgt1Q[/youtube]

These early childhood development programs may be the only great thing left that our state can lead the way on and these miserable "conservative" obstructionists will come up with any lie to knock it down.

How do you feel about this "nanny state" fear and is this just another government handout or is it an investment in our children and grandchildren?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »

not me....

But get this from FOX. Basically, you keep 'em uneducated and they become Fox 'News' 'reporters'!

These early childhood development programs may be the only great thing left that our state can lead the way on and these miserable "conservative" obstructionists will come up with any lie to knock it down.

How do you feel about this "nanny state" fear and is this just another government handout or is it an investment in our children and grandchildren?

It's an act.  She changed when she moved over from CNN.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »

It's an act.  She changed when she moved over from CNN.

That seems to happen.  A lot.

Case in point:  Glen "I cry more than John Boehner" Beck.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TeeDub
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:26:30 am »

How about the lowering of educational standards by forcing "core curriculum"?

http://m.townhall.com/columnists/michellemalkin/2013/01/23/rotten-to-the-core-obamas-war-on-academic-standards-part-1-n1495257

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:24:33 am »

If you can't raise the students' knowledge to the standard, lower the standard. We simply cannot risk hurting someone's self esteem or future employment opportunities by allowing them to fail in school.

/sarcasm for those of you who need to be told.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:21:33 pm »

Teach the basics.  No computers or video games.

Reading
Writing
Aritmetic

That editorial mentions a non-Euclidean geometry....?  There AIN'T no such thing.  Euclid literally wrote the book - basically the same one in use for about 2,300 years.  Stupid to try to mess with what works.  And it should be right after algebra - in 7th or 8th grade.  Algebra should be 6th or 7th grade.

Reference - one of my favorite versions....Greek and English.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/euclid/Elements.pdf

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »

Just another "nanny state" handout?

Why worry about it? Our extremist state reps and governess will insure nothing good happens in education. It might threaten their coalition in the future.

Only those with babies might be interested in public school early childhood development.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:36 pm »

Just another "nanny state" handout?

Why worry about it? Our extremist state reps and governess will insure nothing good happens in education. It might threaten their coalition in the future.

Only those with babies might be interested in public school early childhood development.

The only reason these programs are available in Oklahoma is because of the KFF.  There's no way we'd have anything close without it.

I don't know if it exists in spite of our state government but I know it doesn't exist because of it.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »

The only reason these programs are available in Oklahoma is because of the KFF.  There's no way we'd have anything close without it.

I don't know if it exists in spite of our state government but I know it doesn't exist because of it.

You are correct.

Where would we be without the smart and mighty?
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:12:15 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=19&articleid=20130311_11_A1_CUTLIN428422&allcom=1

"It's not the Feds you have to be concerned about. It's the state, led by Fallin, Barresi, and a Republican legislature that want to effectively kill this program. They like to point out that there's no real gains after the 3rd grade. They don't know the problem with instilling the DESIRE to learn starts NOW. Oklahoma's Head Start program is among the finest in the nation, and they can't stand it when any form of "public education" is successful. It detracts from their argument that only private education gives a meaningful education." SalinaDave

nobody notices this?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:53 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=19&articleid=20130311_11_A1_CUTLIN428422&allcom=1

"It's not the Feds you have to be concerned about. It's the state, led by Fallin, Barresi, and a Republican legislature that want to effectively kill this program. They like to point out that there's no real gains after the 3rd grade. They don't know the problem with instilling the DESIRE to learn starts NOW. Oklahoma's Head Start program is among the finest in the nation, and they can't stand it when any form of "public education" is successful. It detracts from their argument that only private education gives a meaningful education." SalinaDave

nobody notices this?

A group I'm involved in looked at the child education set up by the  KFF.  If someone decides to be an instructor for 2 years there is a program set up that will get that person a bachelor's degree, using local schools, for free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org