A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:00 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Almost Everyone in Russia Has a Dash Cam  (Read 22331 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:51 pm »

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams

How is it possible that a dozen different motorists around the Russian city of Chelyabinsk were able to capture video of a massive meteor flying through the sky? Because almost everyone in Russia has a dash-mounted video camera in their car.

The sheer size of the country, combined with lax — and often corrupt — law enforcement, and a legal system that rarely favors first-hand accounts of traffic collisions has made dash cams all but a requirement for motorists.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:43:36 am »

Dash cams are too complex and expensive for TPD... but Russians can have them.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacks fan
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:43:43 am »

Dash cams are too complex and expensive for TPD... but Russians can have them.

It's sad that there is not a company that makes small HD cameras that can record HD video with a small lightweight camera that is durable, records audio, has multiple uses, and easy to use here in the US. Guess that they are only available in Russia.

Wait a minute, what's this?

http://gopro.com/

Oh, that's right, I own one......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOXsAuCvo5M[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJ-uVurCP0[/youtube]

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:22:58 am by dbacks fan » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

It's sad that there is not a company that makes small HD cameras that can record HD video with a small lightweight camera that is durable, records audio, has multiple uses, and easy to use here in the US. Guess that they are only available in Russia.

Wait a minute, what's this?

http://gopro.com/

Oh, that's right, I own one......

GoPro cameras are very cool, but they are mostly a camera that can be mounted on a dash, rather than a dashcam.

A dashcam should be hard to steal or tamper with -- what's the point of recording a mugging or theft if you are just handing over the recording to the perp as a souvenir?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »

GoPro cameras are very cool, but they are mostly a camera that can be mounted on a dash, rather than a dashcam.

A dashcam should be hard to steal or tamper with -- what's the point of recording a mugging or theft if you are just handing over the recording to the perp as a souvenir?

Sorry I did not include a lot of standards, requirements and specifications comparing this to outdoor lighting and electronic billboard issues.

I was refering to the fact that there is camera equipment on the market that records HD video, and that the essential electronics in the camera are inexpensive. I'm not inferring that Gopro is the best answer, just that the technology is there, and the platform can be adapted.

Guess it's not as exciting as how much light polution the lights installed in the canopy over the pumps at a QT give off, and that less lighting is better on the streets and highways, huh?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:09:55 pm »

I was refering to the fact that there is camera equipment on the market that records HD video, and that the essential electronics in the camera are inexpensive. I'm not inferring that Gopro is the best answer, just that the technology is there, and the platform can be adapted.

Yep. And it shouldn't even be terribly expensive to connect it to separate storage as one would need for a dash cam application. Really, one of the wired 720p cameras from China are like $50 these days, and a DVR from China to record 8 cameras is also around $100. It really seems something could indeed be done there if people didn't equate "public safety" with "good folks to price gouge".

You do have to buy at least a case at a time directly from the manufacturer for that pricing, though. US resellers mark it up 2-3x.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:29:48 pm »

Sorry I did not include a lot of standards, requirements and specifications comparing this to outdoor lighting and electronic billboard issues.
Guess it's not as exciting as how much light polution the lights installed in the canopy over the pumps at a QT give off, and that less lighting is better on the streets and highways, huh?

Like I said, they are very cool, but I was trying to point out that something more purpose-built might have less vulnerabilities for this particular application.

Geez, I wasn't expecting...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:10 pm »

I'm trying to remember a driving event that absolutely needed to be recorded for no reason at all.
Nope. Sorry none come to mind. Damn Putin and his Ruskies.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:49:20 pm »

I'm trying to remember a driving event that absolutely needed to be recorded for no reason at all.
Nope. Sorry none come to mind. Damn Putin and his Ruskies.  Roll Eyes
My step-dad is a truck driver and installed a dashcam on his truck to help with the problem of his truck getting hit while parked.  Because of the way it was setup, it stayed recording at all times.  This led to his recording being used to prove that another truck driver was not at fault when a man committed suicide by stepping out in front of the truck on the highway. 
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:54 pm »

Oh man. I'm not sure that I would want to relive that over again in high def.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »

My step-dad is a truck driver and installed a dashcam on his truck to help with the problem of his truck getting hit while parked.  Because of the way it was setup, it stayed recording at all times.  This led to his recording being used to prove that another truck driver was not at fault when a man committed suicide by stepping out in front of the truck on the highway.  

Modern dashcams use flash memory, and can record continuously for days.  The Panasonic system TPD has comes from the factory capable of recording uninterrupted for more than 3 days at a time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:52:25 pm by patric » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:30 am »

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-february-19-2013/how-i-meteored-your-motherland

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:47:54 pm »

Wasnt quite worth a new topic, but occasionally you run across dashcam video that just leaves you speechless.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-9VtMiXqE[/youtube]

The death toll in this accident rose to 27 overnight, according to the Associated Press. At least 80 people were reportedly injured in the crash.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:24 pm »

Defensive driving...always....  geez, what a nightmare!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 08:21:34 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waxRmjm8-ms
CNN -- The family of a Florida man has released video of his death, hoping to get criminal charges filed against the police officer who ran him over.
On May 8, Marlon Brown was being chased by DeLand police because they allegedly saw that he was not wearing a seatbelt.
One of the police cars hit and ran him over, its dashcam video recording the entire incident.
Last week, a grand jury decided not to indict officer James Harris on a criminal charge of vehicular manslaughter.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/20/justice/florida-police-run-over-man/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org