A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:34:41 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma's State Capital Building is Crumbling  (Read 54069 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »

BINGO!

Literally. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »

Literally. 

One night of my 30th HS reunion was in a banquet room at the Hardrock Saturday night.  Depressing looking at the zombies on the gambling floor below.  You just want to shout: “Go home losers! The house ALWAYS wins!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2014, 03:50:59 pm »

One night of my 30th HS reunion was in a banquet room at the Hardrock Saturday night.  Depressing looking at the zombies on the gambling floor below.  You just want to shout: “Go home losers! The house ALWAYS wins!"

Agreed.  Watching a bunch of scraggly haired skeletons in pajamas grinding their teeth is not my thing.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »

Kansas Company Selected to Repair Oklahoma Capitol

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/kansas-company-selected-repair-oklahoma-capitol

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma officials have selected a Kansas-based construction company with experience renovating historic structures to repair the exterior of the state Capitol.

Officials with the state's Office of Management and Enterprise Services announced Monday the selection of JE Dunn Construction to begin the first phase of a planned $120 million renovation of the nearly 100-year-old building.

The maximum value of the contract to repair the building's exterior is $25 million.

Construction is expected to begin early next year to repair extensive cracking and other damage to the stone facade and secure some of the massive stone blocks to the building.

Access to the Capitol's front staircase has been blocked to pedestrians for years because of pieces of mortar and limestone that have fallen from the building's facade.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2015, 12:26:05 pm »

Tulsa Construction Company Picked to Restore Oklahoma Capitol

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/tulsa-construction-company-picked-restore-oklahoma-capitol

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A Tulsa-based construction company has been selected to complete the repair and restoration of the interior of the state Capitol.

State officials announced Monday the selection of Manhattan Construction as the contractor on the project. A total of three vendors had submitted proposals.

State Capitol Project Manager Trait Thompson says the interior work should begin next year and will be capped at $91 million.

Renovations to the building's exterior are expected to begin this spring. That contract was awarded to JE Dunn Construction and capped at $25 million.

The Legislature and governor last year approved a $120 million bond issue to repair and restore the nearly 100-year-old building, which is plagued with a crumbling exterior and outdated plumbing and electrical systems.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2015, 01:01:20 pm »

Shock me, Shock me, Shock me...

$120 Million Not Enough for State Capitol Repairs

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/120-million-not-enough-state-capitol-repairs

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Contractors awarded a $120 million contract to refurbish the Oklahoma Capitol say they need more than twice that amount to meet the specifications of the project — money that will be hard to come by in a tight budget year.

The two contractors selected for the project presented $187 million in new spending on Thursday to members of a panel overseeing the project. The new spending includes $122 million to complete the project goals and another $65 million for exterior upgrades that one member referred to as "fluff."

The State Capitol Repair Expenditure Oversight Committee is expected to take a formal vote in February on whether to present the additional funding request to the Legislature.

House Appropriations Chairman Rep. Earl Sears acknowledged the additional spending will be a tough sell.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:34 pm »

If we cut taxes more, will we be able to repair the capital building?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

If we cut taxes more, will we be able to repair the capital building?

I'm pretty sure the building will start to self repair, play classic rock & roll, and Keith Gordon would become Governor.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2015, 01:34:25 pm »

So now it sounds like maybe $250 to 300 million may not quite do the job...

And these are the same clowns who cut more than $200 million from education!!  I say let the capitol crumble!!  There is ample room on the lawn to bring in some Mini-Mobiles - let them office in those!!  It's perfectly fine to them if our kids get to go to school in them, so why should they have better offices?

Just so their buddies get a 0.25% tax break!!

Disgusting!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »

Serious question, because we just did a renovation on this building. Between 1998 and 2002 they finished the dome and restoration work was ongoing since then... until they found the serious cracks in 2014. Most of the structural problems are IN THE DOME.

WHY IS OUR CAPITAL FALLING APART?

The main part is 100 years old, but for a solid structure of steel and stone that isn't really that old. The worst part, the dome, is younger than my high school aged son.

Did we defer maintenance?

Bad designed or poor construction?

Not designed for earthquakes?

It cost $1.5mi to build the thing in 1915. Math tells me that's $35mil in today's dollars. The Dome's total construction cost was $21mil, paid for by our NASCAR like sponsors adorning our public building.

SO--- total cost ~ $50mil.

HOW, in the hell, is it $300,000,000 to fix it?

The building is 450,000 square feet. Ironically, that's $666 per square foot FOR REPAIRS, a new parking garage, a pool and archway.  Devon Tower cost $380 per square foot TO BUILD, and included land acquisition, demolition, parking, etc. The Burj Khalida, the most luxurious and tallest building in the world, cost $450 per square foot to build. You can have my house for $100 a square, and it comes with parking and a hot tub - which is kind of like a pool.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:58 am »

Serious question, because we just did a renovation on this building. Between 1998 and 2002 they finished the dome and restoration work was ongoing since then... until they found the serious cracks in 2014. Most of the structural problems are IN THE DOME.

WHY IS OUR CAPITAL FALLING APART?

The main part is 100 years old, but for a solid structure of steel and stone that isn't really that old. The worst part, the dome, is younger than my high school aged son.

Did we defer maintenance?

Bad designed or poor construction?

Not designed for earthquakes?

It cost $1.5mi to build the thing in 1915. Math tells me that's $35mil in today's dollars. The Dome's total construction cost was $21mil, paid for by our NASCAR like sponsors adorning our public building.

SO--- total cost ~ $50mil.

HOW, in the hell, is it $300,000,000 to fix it?

The building is 450,000 square feet. Ironically, that's $666 per square foot FOR REPAIRS, a new parking garage, a pool and archway.  Devon Tower cost $380 per square foot TO BUILD, and included land acquisition, demolition, parking, etc. The Burj Khalida, the most luxurious and tallest building in the world, cost $450 per square foot to build. You can have my house for $100 a square, and it comes with parking and a hot tub - which is kind of like a pool.

And I am not being at all disingenuous when I say we should let them set up in mobile-mini's.  But if we insist on having a capital building, tear down this old POS and just build new!!

Two big problems - low bid from "good buddy" builders.  And then as we have seen here, after getting into the process, the low bid is found to be 'inadequate' so they come back to say "Please, sir, I want some more..."

As in;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc

And yet....again...we keep electing these clowns...!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2015, 01:24:43 pm »

I have changed my opinion on its restoration. Drop the thing and move headquarters into a (soon to be) abandoned oil company tower. Or elect a more intelligent, reality based, honest, pragmatic legislature and governor. Either one is about as likely.

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2015, 01:40:23 pm »

I’m on board with this. The state capital building is ugly anyway, the only redeeming feature is the sculpture at the top. The complex around the capital is even worse and it’s in a miserable part of Oklahoma City.

Kill it with fire. Start over and build a new capital building somewhere else with the $120 million.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2015, 07:48:37 pm »

...build a new capital building somewhere else with the $120 million.

State of Sequoyah, with Tulsa as the capital?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2015, 08:33:32 pm »

I’m on board with this. The state capital building is ugly anyway, the only redeeming feature is the sculpture at the top. The complex around the capital is even worse and it’s in a miserable part of Oklahoma City.

Kill it with fire. Start over and build a new capital building somewhere else with the $120 million.

There IS a certain unfinished building down along the Oklahoma River that already has had plenty of public funding thrown at it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org