A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:29:48 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma's State Capital Building is Crumbling  (Read 54082 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: January 17, 2013, 04:56:03 pm »

I'm interested to see what options she'll accept in order to get the capital repaired.

Governor Tours Crumbling Capitol Building

http://www.ktul.com/story/20617316/governor-tours-crumbling-capitol-building?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oklahoma City (AP) -

Governor Mary Fallin wants state legislators to find a way to pay for repairs to the crumbling capitol building.

She says she supports all options for meeting the estimated $160 million price tag.

She toured the building on Thursday with the state architect and building maintenance supervisors.

The Governor says she's concerned about the health and safety of people who work there.

Several sections of the building are blocked off with barricades where large chunks of limestone have failed from the building's facade.

Will she be willing to share money with Tulsa?

Will she take federal medical care money and slide it on over?

Will she have private talks with the OHP?

Can't hardly wait to find out.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:25 pm »

Can't you get a new capital for $160 Million?

I'm sure some donors in Tulsa would pay for it if they built it here.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »

Sounds like we need that tax cut more than ever.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »

Mary Fallin was looking the building over and it does seem to be in need of repair. The electrical panels are in poor shape and cement is crumbling. It can be a hazzard for state employees.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33:42 pm »

Mary Fallin was looking the building over and it does seem to be in need of repair. The electrical panels are in poor shape and cement is crumbling. It can be a hazzard for state employees.

What should she do about it Sauer?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:34:02 pm »

Can't you get a new capital for $160 Million?

I'm sure some donors in Tulsa would pay for it if they built it here.

Why can't they just use the Staples Center on non-game days.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:19:55 pm »

Maybe we should have used that money spent on adding the dome to fixing the place up.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »

Maybe we should have used that money spent on adding the dome to fixing the place up.

Actually, the dome was funded entirely with private funds, IIRC.  Perhaps we could put on another public appeals drive for repairs.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
shadows
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:55:43 pm »

Governments by their interpretations can create money by increasing its debt ceiling.

They also could deed it back to the Native Americans again and allow them to install gaming machines.   The dealers are already installed on table games.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »

Our roads and bridges are crumbling too, and don't get me started on state funding for education.  I suggest renting a bunch of FEMA trailers and parking them on the capitol grounds.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 04:22:32 pm »

Our roads and bridges are crumbling too, and don't get me started on state funding for education.  I suggest renting a bunch of FEMA trailers and parking them on the capitol grounds.

"GREAT JOB, BROWNIE!!!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:46 am »

If we want to be a Conservative Republican model of small, efficient, effective, moral government... well, I don't see where a fancy, huge stone and marble monolith has a place in that?    

The best example of that IMHO would be a modern, energy efficient, built to do the job thats needed, easy to maintain, well built/long lasting, structure.  If that equals a long, low lying, glass and steel structure, so be it, that's what we should have. I would be proud to point to that, show the rest of the world and say "This is how it should be done. This is right and good."  That would be something Oklahoma could be proud of and show off to the rest of the world.

I can't help but be reminded of the time years ago when I was watching the news and hearing about some government official in the newly formed Iraq government.  He was sitting in a fancy office behind a new, gold and ornately carved desk while people outside were hungry and without working electricity and water services. From the conversation it seemed as if he thought that for his position he deserved/should have this type of "set up" to reflect his "stature".  I was thinking "There is chaos outside, you should be working your arse off trying to fix things, and if need be the best example for your people and for what it means to be an elected official in a democracy, SERVING YOUR PEOPLE AND USING THEIR TAX DOLLARS WISELY... might well be you having nothing but a card table and a fold up chair!"  That would be how you could really show those people of Iraq what good governance and democracy is about.  

It sickens me to hear our Republican politicians talk the talk of smaller, conservative, efficient, cut taxes government, cutting Democrats down at every slightest hint of possible waste... and then have those very same conservatives possibly turn around and ask to fund something that we all know is really only about vanity.  And not vanity in a "good way" aka, setting a positive example for good, moral governance, but shallow "surface" vanity pure and simple.

If private businesses, donors, etc. want to donate to fund this project, sure, fine.  Otherwise, sell the building, or sell it for scrap, whatever, and then build something else for less than the repair costs would be and that costs less to maintain and run.  That would show the world that we are not just a government and state that talks the talk, but one that also walks the walk.  Modern, efficient, effective, moral government.      
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:02:26 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »

Glass buildings and card tables? Sorry, I love that building. I've visited it several times over my life and always have been impressed. It was just "standard public building" when it was built with standard reverence for quality workmanship, materials and style.

Although I understand the need for frugal, efficient government, tearing down public structures that need deferred maintenance and replacing them with utilitarian steel and glass boxes would imply that art, history, architecture, sophistication and a physical reverence for democracy are frills we don't need. If so don't bother with statues or monuments either. Unless we can somehow make them pay for themselves.

onward...through the fog
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10:48 pm »

While I'm generally pro smaller government, I can't imagine doing away with the grandeur of government buildings. I love the tradition and reverance that is associated with government. The history contained in the buildings is absolutely fascinating as well.

There are many things that could be done away with. Beautiful and historic buildings are not one of them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:13:01 pm by ZYX » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »

Oklahoma Capitol Building Under Construction
This photo, taken by a 4 year old in 1916, shows the Oklahoma City capitol building under construction.

http://okc.about.com/od/factsandinformation/ig/Historic-Photos-of-OKC/Under-Construction.htm

Oklahoma City Capitol Oil Well
A producing oil well sat in front of the Oklahoma City capitol building for some time, as evidenced by this photo taken in 1939.

Now:

And at this time next year if we don't get a move on:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org