A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:07:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st street stop lights  (Read 2875 times)
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« on: January 17, 2013, 12:49:19 pm »

So, If I timed it just right I used to be able to drive happily down first street at 19 MPH and not miss a light.  During work on the parking garage they messed with a couple of the timers.  Specifically in front of the BOK Tower.  I was okay with it at the time because they didn't have an alternative to get across the street.  Now they have completed that garage and have a sky bridge, but they have not readjusted the lights.  That red light is extremely long and the green light is extremely short.  You could be sitting at 1st and Cinn with a green light and not move because the traffic is stacked up.  They have also messed with the timers at Main and 1st and boulder and 1st.  What used to take me a minute or two has turned into a 10 minute affair (during some mornings). 

Just a random rant.   

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:56:09 pm »

So, If I timed it just right I used to be able to drive happily down first street at 19 MPH and not miss a light.  During work on the parking garage they messed with a couple of the timers.  Specifically in front of the BOK Tower.  I was okay with it at the time because they didn't have an alternative to get across the street.  Now they have completed that garage and have a sky bridge, but they have not readjusted the lights.  That red light is extremely long and the green light is extremely short.  You could be sitting at 1st and Cinn with a green light and not move because the traffic is stacked up.  They have also messed with the timers at Main and 1st and boulder and 1st.  What used to take me a minute or two has turned into a 10 minute affair (during some mornings). 

Just a random rant.   

I wish people driving South on Cheyenne understood the timed light concept.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:02 pm »

Just a random rant.

I called a complaint in a couple of weeks ago about the mis-synchronized lights. The supervisor I spoke to said he'd let the guy who's in charge of downtown light synchronization know about the problem. I have avoided 1st St. since then.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:16 pm »

The supervisor I spoke to said he'd let the guy who's in charge of downtown light synchronization know about the problem.

Wonder who the heck that is.

"Someone call Ol' Bob.  Tell 'im the lights ain't syncin'"
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:13:42 pm »

That's been irking me for weeks, as well. Though I'm not there during the busiest times, so no backups.

I often wonder what percentage of drivers understand timed lights. People always seem to floor it to get past, then stop at the next red. Then they're usually not paying attention when it turns green.

Either way, it completely stops your momentum.

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »

glad I am not the only one.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:26:53 pm »

Wonder who the heck that is.

"Someone call Ol' Bob.  Tell 'im the lights ain't syncin'"

I think I remember a story saying that department was two guys.

So Bob and Otherbob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org