A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:45:38 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republican Party seems divided...  (Read 89498 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2013, 06:20:35 am »

Both parties are the problem.  They have become nothing more than a Red Team v.s. Blue Team sporting event.  C-Span is the ESPN, and each party has its media cheerleaders.

Politicians have become willing to make policy based on what will hurt the other team most on the field of play, instead of what is good for the country.  Our freedoms, our economic future, and the sustainability of our republic is suffering.

For government, our leaders should all share a singular goal, the prosperity and wellbeing of the people, and be able to offer differing ideas on how to accomplish it. Instead, we have a government willing to make policy against the will of the people, take both foreign and domestic action against the laws set forth in the constitution, sacrifice economic growth for government control, and attempt to use the media to alter the narrative.

The sad part is that there are actually groups of Americans on both sides of stadium willing to cheer on every move their team makes without questioning wether or not they are right.  More and more people are willing to accept the group mentality because it is devoid of the burdens of individual thought and responsibility, and it falsely promises a security it can never deliver, because to preserve centralized power it is necessary to keep the populous alarmed (and insecure).

At the heart of western freedom and democracy is the belief that the individual man … is the touchstone of value, and all society, groups, the state, exist for his benefit. Therefore the enlargement of liberty for individual human beings must be the supreme goal and abiding practice of any western society. – Robert F. Kennedy

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. – Friedrich Nietzsche

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H.L. Mencken

Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Wherever politics intrudes upon economic life, political success is readily attained by saying what people like to hear rather than what is demonstrably true. Instead of safeguarding truth and honesty, the state then tends to become a major source of insincerity and mendacity. – Hans F. Sennholz

In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again. – Edward Gibbon
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:04:08 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2013, 06:40:32 am »

That's because mainly in this case, it is.

I am sure that is what you believe.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:34 am »

The problem with Republicans right now is that the crazy's are in charge. No offense to you, I don't think you are insane, but a current majority of the right IS FRACKING NUTS. If you need proof, review Jim Brindenstein's statements. Yes, our own congressman.

I do not believe the majority of the right is FRACKING NUTS any more than I believe the majority of the left is FRACKING NUTS.  There are significant quantities of vocal examples on both sides depending on your individual bias as I noted earlier.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:21 am »

And lest we forget...more than half the Supreme Court was bought and paid for to set aside votes to manipulate the electoral vote during the 2000 election when over half a million more voted for Gore... 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53:58 am »

Sorry I don't have the heart to click the link...tell me you are kidding

You owe it to yourself to go visit that place...even though it is a very dark place for the RWRE - YOU are recovering!!  Live long and prosper!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07:02 am »

Both parties are the problem.  They have become nothing more than a Red Team v.s. Blue Team sporting event.  C-Span is the ESPN, and each party has its media cheerleaders.

Politicians have become willing to make policy based on what will hurt the other team most on the field of play, instead of what is good for the country.  Our freedoms, our economic future, and the sustainability of our republic is suffering.

For government, our leaders should all share a singular goal, the prosperity and wellbeing of the people, and be able to offer differing ideas on how to accomplish it. Instead, we have a government willing to make policy against the will of the people, take both foreign and domestic action against the laws set forth in the constitution, sacrifice economic growth for government control, and attempt to use the media to alter the narrative.

The sad part is that there are actually groups of Americans on both sides of stadium willing to cheer on every move their team makes without questioning wether or not they are right.  More and more people are willing to accept the group mentality because it is devoid of the burdens of individual thought and responsibility, and it falsely promises a security it can never deliver, because to preserve centralized power it is necessary to keep the populous alarmed (and insecure).

At the heart of western freedom and democracy is the belief that the individual man … is the touchstone of value, and all society, groups, the state, exist for his benefit. Therefore the enlargement of liberty for individual human beings must be the supreme goal and abiding practice of any western society. – Robert F. Kennedy

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. – Friedrich Nietzsche

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H.L. Mencken

Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Wherever politics intrudes upon economic life, political success is readily attained by saying what people like to hear rather than what is demonstrably true. Instead of safeguarding truth and honesty, the state then tends to become a major source of insincerity and mendacity. – Hans F. Sennholz

In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again. – Edward Gibbon

Oklahoma has a singular opportunity coming up very soon to show exactly where we as a state stand on those noble ideals.  Jim Inhofe is spooling up his campaign now.

The result of that election will show exactly what Oklahoma believes - the ideals enumerated with that note - or the opposite.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2013, 08:22:22 am »

I do not believe the majority of the right is FRACKING NUTS any more than I believe the majority of the left is FRACKING NUTS.  There are significant quantities of vocal examples on both sides depending on your individual bias as I noted earlier.

The members of the majority party in the House would beg to differ.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2013, 08:23:58 am »

Oklahoma has a singular opportunity coming up very soon to show exactly where we as a state stand on those noble ideals.  Jim Inhofe is spooling up his campaign now.

The result of that election will show exactly what Oklahoma believes - the ideals enumerated with that note - or the opposite.

I never could stand Inhofe and his pandering grandstanding.  But he is a statesman compared to who is being elected now.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2013, 08:50:31 am »

I hope Inhofe has a primary opponent, but I don't think that's going to happen.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:27 am »

The members of the majority party in the House would beg to differ.

If we restrict the population sample to members of the (US) House, I would agree that most of the left is FN.  When applied to the general populace of the USA, it shifts to a significant minority of the left being FN.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21:26 am »

I hope Inhofe has a primary opponent, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Mullen, come on down!

I would bet good money that any primary opponent would be WORSE than Inhofe these days.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2013, 09:25:57 am »

If we restrict the population sample to members of the (US) House, I would agree that most of the left is FN.  When applied to the general populace of the USA, it shifts to a significant minority of the left being FN.

Really? Is it the right or the left that has rejected science on a scale not seen since the 15th century Roman church?

Assuredly there are nut jobs on the left, even elected ones. But they aren't running the show. The Tea Party is now in charge of the Republican Party.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2013, 12:42:06 pm »

You're absolutely correct about the wild eyed nutjobs as minorities within their respective parties, but those are the folks who can be counted upon to vote in the primaries. It gives them influence far greater than their numbers. Romney was a near perfect example of that influence. I don't think anyone believed he was ever a far right conservative, but to win primaries he had to be portrayed as one. When he tried to pivot toward the center, his earlier stance dragged him down like an anchor.

Maybe we need to bring back those smoke filled caucuses to find better candidates. It's merely a thought, and I'm certainly open to better ideas.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:23 pm »

You're absolutely correct about the wild eyed nutjobs as minorities within their respective parties, but those are the folks who can be counted upon to vote in the primaries. It gives them influence far greater than their numbers. Romney was a near perfect example of that influence. I don't think anyone believed he was ever a far right conservative, but to win primaries he had to be portrayed as one. When he tried to pivot toward the center, his earlier stance dragged him down like an anchor.

Maybe we need to bring back those smoke filled caucuses to find better candidates. It's merely a thought, and I'm certainly open to better ideas.

I'm guessing nothing will change soon but eventually things will even out and reason (as close as we can come) will pop up again for a time.

McCarthyism was around and then it ended.  The same will be said of the Teaparty.   Both inflicted long term damage.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2013, 02:25:25 pm »

There's a critical difference, Guido, because those you're citing have problems in a personal way. Their problems are not ours, yet the more rabid right wing ideas could have national impact. Equating the two is misguided.

My gosh, are you freakin kidding me? Filner is the mayor of San Diego, Weiner wants to be mayor of the largest city in this country. These guys are out there wanting leadership positions while being incapable of controlling themselves IN THE PUBLIC. As for rabid right winger stuff, how about reframing Bridenstine and everyone else you find objectionable as opposing rabid left wing policies such as Obamacare and perhaps Gosnell-based abortion policy. Crap, we have left wingers like Hank Johnson thinking Guam will tip over because of too many people, or Cynthia McKinney, or Jim Moran, Alan Grayson, and on and on and on... Red Arrow is right about this, and I would add that this thread is more about your sour grapes and feeling helpless because you live in a red state.

As for anti-science argument, who in the hell made you people the authority on what amounts to science. You come off as dooshbaggy elitists, most without the education to even come close to being able to judge others.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org