A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:40 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Alley  (Read 48300 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: December 23, 2012, 03:37:23 pm »

Had dinner there last night.  It has only been open a week.  Location is in the old St Michael's Alley location.

Ordered the french onion soup, could of been hotter but tasty.  Also had the fish and chips, enjoyed this much better than what I have had at Kilkenny's.   The vibe of the place was that of a local's neighborhood place.   I sat at the bar close to the open kitchen and was able to have some conversation with the chefs.   Definitely a place I  will go back to for lunch and dinner. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:31:32 pm »

Noted.  I need to get over there!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:55 pm »

Noted.  I need to get over there!

Ahem.  We need to get over there with our wives Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »

My mom will be upset if she finds out I have been hanging out in The Alley.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:27:06 am »

Way overpriced.....

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:22:50 pm »

You get what you pay for..this is NOT overpriced when you compare it to 71st street hell....
rdj
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »

I found the food to be very good.  Service was excellent.  The dining room was a little awkward as it seemed a bit loud for lunch.  Need to get back there for a happy hour.  The bar looked very inviting.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:38 pm »

16 bucks for 3 pieces of fish and some fries is is to much.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:03 pm »

Tightwad.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 01:51:18 pm »

What kind of fish and how big were the pieces?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 03:38:02 pm »

Some sort of white fish.... 1.5 x 5 inches I would say....

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:44 pm »

Some sort of white fish.... 1.5 x 5 inches I would say....

$16 for 3 of them and some fries is too pricey for me.  Add a bottle of a nice Belgian Tripel (Chimay or Westmalle) at the same price and I might go for it.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:51 pm »

Tightwad.

I'm thrifty Mother tucker......!!! Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 11:03:59 pm »

MC and I tried it tonight.  Quite impressed actually.  Correct that the fish and chips is nothing spectacular (it never really is, it's fried fish and fried potatoes!) but it's on par with Kilkenny's, McNellies and the late Paddy's which was what I considered best for Tulsa anyhow.

While nothing will ever compare to eating salmon fish and chips on Saba Rock in the BVI, I really can't complain.  She had their chicken two ways and it was spectacular.  I originally was going to have braised short ribs but they 86'd right before I ordered.  Cheese tray was really broad an almost too much and had an amazing bacon jam.

Their menu prices are pretty reasonable, if you ask me, considering the cooking skill of the chef and kitchen staff and their offerings.

We considered it a better experience than Juniper...and a better value.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:00 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Ranch Acres Shopping Center 31st & Harvard

Date/Time of Visit: 6:00 on a Friday

Quality of Food (1-5): 4.5 to 5

Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4

Quality of Service (1-5):5

Atmosphere (1-5): 4

Overall Rating (1-5): 5

Price ($-$$$$$):$$$

We've eaten there now five times, once for brunch and dinner the rest of the times.  We've not had a bad meal yet, and they have nightly specials that have been really amazing and a great value.  Last week I had a duck confit over a ginger rice cake (not a fried rice cake per se, more like a mound of rice) which blew me away for $22.  We've been told that will be on the spring menu as a staple.  Last night's special was lobster poached in butter.  MC loved it, but it does give it a texture other people may not care for.  I finally had the pub burger and it's really just a little too much burger for me, though I loved every bite.

If you love a great short rib, I suggest you try it in the next two weeks as the braised short rib will not be on the spring menu.

As mentioned on another thread, beer selection is great, at least 30-40 different imports and micros, 10 draughts, one with Coors Banquet, one with Guinness, the rest are micro or import.  Great craft cocktails. Always attentive and friendly service.

We love the cozy atmosphere and prefer to eat around the bar area, though the dining room as had a nice make-over.  I have heard complaints from friends who have gone strictly for happy hour fare, not caring much for the apps they serve.  It can get a little crowded and stuffy if there is a large group meeting for happy hour in the bar area, though it wasn't terribly crowded last night. 

All we have tried of the app menu is the Scotch egg (hard boiled egg in a deep fried sausage crust drizzled with aoli) and the cheese tray and we love both.

With dinner, an app, a couple of beers, and a couple of cocktails, as well as a dessert we split with our dining companions, the total was still under $100 before tip.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:24:33 am by Conan71 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org