A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:02 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $24,000 for an internet line?  (Read 5501 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: December 17, 2012, 12:03:41 pm »

Ok, we are wanting a better internet connection for the shop downtown.  We currently have a Sprint 3G hotspot  device that lets us do some internet and our credit card transactions, etc. but whenever I try to download say a pdf from a wholesale company, it bogs down and takes forever, or times out.  Definitely don't have enough to allow others to "surf the web" at our space.  So we thought we would check into having a landline installed.  The first quote we got was from Cox and they said it would cost us $24,000 to have it installed.  Even the person we were working with at cox was floored by what it was going to run us. 

Any advice on how we can get a high speed internet connection downtown without costing an arm and a leg?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »

is satellite a possibility?

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »

is satellite a possibility?

DSL or U-Verse?
You can also get a price from one of the re-sellers like TulsaConnect, they are located downtown:
http://www.tulsaconnect.com/connectivity_services.php

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »

I can help you out with Hughesnet or Exede satellite. It will depend on the line of site to the southwest and mounting availability. It is high speed now. Exede is over 12mgs download and Hughes is 8mgs.
Prices would start at 59.99, 79.99 or 119.99 depending on how much Monthly data you would need.

We had EasyTel here at the office a couple of years back and it was awesome. 28mgs or higher. I would check and see if it's available to you.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:57:34 pm by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »

Get a T-Mobile or at&t hotspot instead. IME, they both work a lot better downtown.

I presume Cox is charging so much because they don't have cable to your building at the present time. In other Cox markets, I've had reasonable luck getting them to waive the installation fees in exchange for a revenue contract. The last client I had that did that was looking at around $8,000 or $12,000. The revenue target wasn't as high as the construction fee they wanted to charge, so it worked out. Talk to your sales person.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »

I use easytel downtown and am very happy.

Power is nothing till you use it.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »

We have used EasyTel for years, they are local, really nice and have great customer service.  They have Fiber into most buildings downtown and in the area.

http://easytel.com/
TeeDub
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:08 am »

Any advice on how we can get a high speed internet connection downtown without costing an arm and a leg?

Ask how much it would cost to install cable television.   Sometimes that will inspire them to run the drops for free.

Can't say it makes sense, but seen it done.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:57:56 am »

I believe there is phone service to the building, try DSL from AT&T
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org