A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2018, 08:01:11 pm
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 49231 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #435 on: November 05, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »

It is fair to say that things in Oklahoma had been falling apart. A plunge in oil prices caught up with years of tax-slashing and the results were ugly: cash-strapped school districts going to four-day weeks, prisons dangerously overcrowding and rural hospitals shutting down. The two-term Republican governor, Mary Fallin, shows up in poll after poll with approval numbers well below freezing, reliably among the least-popular governors in the country. As in Louisiana and Kansas, the fallout of fiscal austerity had spread quickly to politics.

“You got elected because you weren’t Obama,” said Anthony Sykes, a conservative state senator, speaking of some of his hard-line colleagues. “But the Obama well went dry. And you’ve got to produce some results now.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/02/us/oklahoma-midterm-elections.html

And they won't.   They don't know how to make cutting everything work to build something up.  Nobody does.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2018, 03:24:45 pm »

OKLAHOMA CITY — State Sen. Joseph Silk has introduced a bill in the Oklahoma Legislature that would criminalize abortion by including it in the state’s definition of felony homicide.

Allie Shinn, deputy director of the ACLU of Oklahoma, called Silk’s measure an extreme affront to reproductive rights.
“He seems more interested in scoring cheap political points at the expense of Oklahomans than he is promoting the well-being of his district.”

It says any federal laws, regulations, executive orders or court decisions that deprive an unborn child the right to life are void.

“The goal is to say we are a sovereign state and choose to abolish abortion,” Silk said.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/sen-silk-files-bill-to-make-abortion-illegal-classifying-it/article_83a6c39b-05e2-5a93-985a-8340acb8efff.html

But federal law keeping medical marijuana illegal is just fine...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »

OKLAHOMA CITY — State Sen. Joseph Silk has introduced a bill in the Oklahoma Legislature that would criminalize abortion by including it in the state’s definition of felony homicide.

Allie Shinn, deputy director of the ACLU of Oklahoma, called Silk’s measure an extreme affront to reproductive rights.
“He seems more interested in scoring cheap political points at the expense of Oklahomans than he is promoting the well-being of his district.”

It says any federal laws, regulations, executive orders or court decisions that deprive an unborn child the right to life are void.

“The goal is to say we are a sovereign state and choose to abolish abortion,” Silk said.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/sen-silk-files-bill-to-make-abortion-illegal-classifying-it/article_83a6c39b-05e2-5a93-985a-8340acb8efff.html

Just wow.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2018, 10:21:18 pm »

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #439 on: December 03, 2018, 12:21:11 am »

Just wow.

There should be some meaningful form of censure for politicians who thumb their nose at taxpayers by deliberately pushing bogus bills they know violate the constitution, just to score some points with their base.

“He didn’t come to Washington to disrupt. He came to improve. That’s who he was.”

That phrase was used yesterday to describe the passing of President Bush; The look on this guys face makes me doubt he will ever be remembered with the same reverence:

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #440 on: December 03, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »

There should be some meaningful form of censure for politicians who thumb their nose at taxpayers by deliberately pushing bogus bills they know violate the constitution, just to score some points with their base.

“He didn’t come to Washington to disrupt. He came to improve. That’s who he was.”

That phrase was used yesterday to describe the passing of President Bush; The look on this guys face makes me doubt he will ever be remembered with the same reverence:

This is a guy who voted against education in the state.  Against wind energy to the benefit of big oil.  Far southeast corner of the state - bunch of those right wing extremists I have mentioned in other post.   

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org