A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260662 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:56 pm »

No money for teachers but now a new mandate that they must post "In God We Trust" in classrooms.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/senate-panel-advances-bills-that-would-put-in-god-we/article_d13f655a-5873-5835-9b2d-db4de065170e.html

Teachers ask for a pay raise to keep their salary competitive with surrounding states.  The legislators want to give them posters.

Can I get an epic facepalm here?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:40 pm »

No money for teachers but now a new mandate that they must post "In God We Trust" in classrooms.

Those fools are forgetting that while "In God We Trust", all others pay cash.

Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #392 on: March 16, 2018, 11:42:27 am »

This is the legislature we need.

https://okpolicy.org/oklahoma-has-many-good-options-to-resolve-the-teacher-walkout/

Best read while listening to some Vanilla Ice...well, sorta...what Ice shoulda been...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC3IxxYsIN8&index=6&list=RD6sQ8mUs0nHY

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #393 on: March 19, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »

Things won't change if no one is willing to run against the status quo.  Unreal.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/elections/three-quarters-of-oklahoma-house-members-are-running-for-re/article_c162c989-b314-59aa-bcb5-6f9300c858d7.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #394 on: March 19, 2018, 04:46:42 pm »

Strangely enough, both candidates have stopped by my house for a talk in recent weeks for my house district (77).  Both were very articulate, but one is a teacher who makes pretty good money from what I gather; the other is a late twenties mental health care worker who seems to have her smile together and knows she's the underdog in the district.  My district has been held by a Democrat for years (Eric Proctor who is term-limiting out) and likely will again, so it was both of the D primary runners who visited.  Both were impressive.  They stayed and talked to me for about 20 minutes and didn't once seem fidgety.  I like that they listened to me and asked what my biggest concerns are.  I hope that kind of inquisitiveness remains for either of them if they are elected to the State House.  At least I know how to contact them personally via their cell phones.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #395 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »

I know both of those candidates. Your district will be well served.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #396 on: March 20, 2018, 02:17:29 pm »

I know both of those candidates. Your district will be well served.

Yeah, I think the woman (can't remember her name currently) seemed really salt of the earth.  Not sure who I'll pick but I have until June I guess to do some more research.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #397 on: March 20, 2018, 02:35:28 pm »

Yeah, I think the woman (can't remember her name currently) seemed really salt of the earth.  Not sure who I'll pick but I have until June I guess to do some more research.

So there's one district with some choices.  I'm simply amazed that with as much negative sentiment as their seems to be against the current legislature no one is standing up to run against incumbents.  I don't recall there being any time-honored tradition in Oklahoma that you didn't run against an incumbent of the same party.  I'm curious to know if there is very little interest from registered Republicans or if the Oklahoma GOP is actively discouraging challengers to the incumbents.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2018, 02:46:46 pm »

So there's one district with some choices.  I'm simply amazed that with as much negative sentiment as their seems to be against the current legislature no one is standing up to run against incumbents.  I don't recall there being any time-honored tradition in Oklahoma that you didn't run against an incumbent of the same party.  I'm curious to know if there is very little interest from registered Republicans or if the Oklahoma GOP is actively discouraging challengers to the incumbents.

In this case, Proctor was term limited.  So fresh slate.  I need to search and see if any Repubs are running and look at their stances too.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #399 on: April 04, 2018, 01:31:52 pm »

Talked w/Ok Gov Mary Fallin about #oklahomateachersstrike. She mentioned “outside” groups w/teachers at Capitol. I said yes...NEA and WV teacher union leaders.
“And ANTIFA”, she added.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/gov-mary-fallin-fallin-to-cbs-news-teachers-wanting-raise/article_55bb2b2c-e0a7-52e7-9aa2-be2ee4802d3f.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #400 on: April 04, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »

Talked w/Ok Gov Mary Fallin about #oklahomateachersstrike. She mentioned “outside” groups w/teachers at Capitol. I said yes...NEA and WV teacher union leaders.
“And ANTIFA”, she added.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/gov-mary-fallin-fallin-to-cbs-news-teachers-wanting-raise/article_55bb2b2c-e0a7-52e7-9aa2-be2ee4802d3f.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:59 am »

Nathan Dahm - OK Senate - who is also running to take Bridenstein's place this fall, so 1st district US House is gonna get to enjoy his particular kind of crazy.

I know a lot of people like the guy in his Broken Arrow district, but for those with a brain, here is his voting record at the link, with a few highlights on the way...

Every step of the way, he votes against our kids. 

Voted for continuing the automatic income tax cuts in this state - you know what those are...the ones that gave us our budget crisis for the last few years...

Voted to prohibit a public vote on beer and wine sales.  In other words is against people having a voice in their government.

Votes against raising gross production tax.

And voted FOR the slaughter of horses.   (Not that I really care about that one way or another since I don't have a horse in that race...!   Lol...I make myself laugh.)

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/106666/nathan-dahm#.Ws9rVi7wbKk

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #402 on: April 12, 2018, 03:35:59 pm »

Nathan Dahm- A poster boy for troglodytes.

And I imagine Dahm has a whole league of ideologues who will elect him.  He's also one of the backers of the bill declaring Oklahoma wildlife the property of God not the state game wardens.  Tim Harris doesn't seem to be much of a better choice and I know little of Kevin Hern and the other candidates. 

I've known Tim Gilpin, one of the D candidates for years. He's a good guy, but he's pretty liberal on most all issues so I don't see him gaining much traction in this election and I really don't ever see D-1 ever sending another Dem to the US House.  He's been a Democratic Party operative for years, I figure he's just taking one for the team knowing he can't win.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:00 pm »

Hoping 1st district isn't as monolithic as Broken Arrow...not run by Rhema and First Baptist as much....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #404 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:06 pm »

Hoping 1st district isn't as monolithic as Broken Arrow...not run by Rhema and First Baptist as much....

Inhofe, Sullivan, Bridenstine over 30 years.  Pretty monolithic. 

I believe the last D to win that district was James Jones in the mid 1980's.  Of course, that pre-dates our current climate of hyper-partisanism.  IIRC, JRJ was quite moderate and also from a time when being a Democrat in Oklahoma was really your only route to power. 

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org