A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:05:45 pm
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260514 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #375 on: January 25, 2018, 10:19:07 pm »

Man, I am seriously envious.  I am writing this as I sit on a plane in-route from SLC to PHX and then on to MSP, back home in TUL tomorrow night.  (You know you travel too much when you identify the cities by their airport ID's...)   I'm heading that way as fast as I can, but it will be 4-5 years before I can get there.   Planning a trip out there this Spring/Summer, and I will be sure to stop by.

Stop by? Plan a night here, you won't regret it!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2018, 09:34:01 am »

We have a really good regional radio station out of Raton which reaches about a 60 mile radius.  It is primarily local reporting and a little nationally-syndicated news on the hour from outlets like ABC but no political commentary programming.  Their noon hour is pretty folksy: obituaries, the local classifieds, and events around the area.  They do a fantastic service for our region.  Their music programming is one of the most eclectic I have ever heard.  We get two feeds for NPR in this area.  I usually enjoy their programming.  The political stuff may be somewhat balanced, but their editing leans very far left.

I can't even think when the last time was I've seen anything on Fox.  The last thing we saw on CNN was New Year's Eve in Times Square.  We rarely turn the tube on anymore.  I don't even log in to Facebook very often and if I see political rants in my feed I generally keep scrolling.  I guess you could say we have become pretty unplugged and more concerned about our local community where we can make a difference instead of worrying about the macro-political scene.  I find it pretty gratifying.  We've been out here in Cimarron almost a year and it has been an extremely transformational one.  We've become very active in the local schools, Civic Club and Chamber of Commerce but I did resist the temptation to run for mayor or village council this time around.  I always figured I could do more for the community as the subversive type, not someone in an elected position  Wink

Ha!   We are so much alike in some ways it would scare you to death if you knew me personally!!   

Love those kind of small stations - earlier I mentioned family from ABQ who owned a local radio station there for many years.  Country music, so I didn't really appreciate it that much...

KOSU in Stillwater becomes kind of a "slicker" folksy mode station at night - they have The Spy radio.  Lots of good music floating around those airwaves.

There is a little station in Coffeyville that I used to tune into once in a while (KGGF - the Mighty 690!) that has stuff like that.  Every morning for a couple of hours you can call in and tell about stuff you have for sale on air.  Radio flea market...   Haven't listened for a while, but their music used to be country...I always went away at that.   And crop reports!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2018, 11:00:33 am »

KOSU in Stillwater becomes kind of a "slicker" folksy mode station at night - they have The Spy radio.  Lots of good music floating around those airwaves.

Going full drift here but what the hell...

107.5FM Tulsa   http://thespyfm.com/about-the-spy/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »

Going full drift here but what the hell...

107.5FM Tulsa   http://thespyfm.com/about-the-spy/

Not so drifty as one might think - this is exactly the kind of stuff that the Oklahoma legislature doesn't want ya to hear - ya might learn something, too, and that is anathema to the RWRE groupthink.

I mostly listen to them on 91.7.   West of town a ways...   In town, I go to KWGS, 89.5.  Spread the wealth...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #379 on: January 26, 2018, 01:55:29 pm »

This goes to how bad the OK legislature is... why don't we have this??   Instead of "allowing" they should be mandated. 

http://kosu.org/post/why-oklahoma-has-no-misdemeanor-drug-courts-even-though-law-allows-them

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:50 am »

Rinse, spit, repeat:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/lawmakers-to-move-forward-with-cuts-after-revenue-package-fails/article_90949f5b-2f3f-575a-8961-204ecaba3e36.html

Democrats who could have helped with the supermajority stood on principle on not enough was being done to turn back tax cuts.  I hope the Teacher's Union will remember those house members as well when it comes time to start shoveling the sh1t out of the OK House.  It might also be a good start if the energy industry's role in creating shadowy "advocacy" and campaign groups were blocked out entirely.  Scott Grizzle made a poignant post about this on Facebook the other day, I wish he would expand on this here.

Lawmakers to move forward with cuts after revenue package fails in the House
House GOP floor leader says the change is needed after revenue plan fails

By Barbara Hoberock Tulsa World Feb 14, 2018 Updated 10 hrs ago 3
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Legislature will move forward with about $45 million in cuts to state agencies after a revenue package failed in the lower chamber, House Majority Floor Leader Jon Echols said Tuesday.

The action is needed to close the books on the current fiscal year after the Oklahoma Supreme Court said lawmakers illegally passed a cigarette tax as a fee instead of following the proper procedure, blowing a huge hole in the state budget.

House Bill 1033xx, a $581 million revenue-raising package, failed by 13 votes to secure the supermajority needed for passage in the House.

It was a component of the Step Up Oklahoma plan promoted by civic and business leaders as a means of giving teachers a $5,000 teacher pay raise and providing enough money to pay for core government services.

“The Step Up Oklahoma plan was the only revenue option being discussed,” said Michael McNutt, a spokesman for Gov. Mary Fallin. “The governor’s office will be turning attention to closing the books on the 2018 fiscal year, and then preparing to work with legislative leaders on the 2019 fiscal year.”

“The reality of that plan not passing, with everything that was in it, is there just simply is not a plan that can pass,” said Echols, R-Oklahoma City.

The revenue package would have made changes to the income tax code, added 6 cents to a gallon of gas and diesel, increased the tax on cigarettes by $1.50, added an additional tax to renewable energy such as wind power and hiked the gross production tax to 4 percent from 2 percent.

Officials have said without the additional revenue, key health, human and mental health services would be cut.

The shortfall for the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, Oklahoma Health Care Authority and Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services for fiscal year 2018 is $67 million, plus another $31 million for the medical schools, said Jason Sutton, a spokesman for House Speaker Charles McCall, R-Atoka.

Officials plan to use $53 million in cash to plug holes, leaving $45 million in cuts, Sutton said.

Echols said the cuts will have to be spread out because they can’t all be absorbed by the health care agencies.

Echols said comments that the plan was rushed are worrisome.

The fiscal year 2018 budget is still not done and lawmakers are in their second special session trying to resolve it, Echols said. The current fiscal year ends June 30.

Republicans have a majority in the House, but several of their members, joined by some Democrats, voted against the proposal for a variety of reasons.

Rep. Emily Virgin, D-Norman, said the plan failed to restore cuts made to the income tax over the last few years.

It put the burden of funding teacher pay raises on the backs of those who could least afford it instead of asking the oil and gas industry and the wealthiest Oklahomans to pay their share, Virgin said.

In addition, the plan was punitive effort by some in the oil and gas industry to punish competitors, such as renewable energy, with unfair taxation, Virgin said.

Democrats also are seeking a restoration of the gross production tax on all wells to 5 percent, Virgin said.

Fallin said she was “disheartened” by the failure of the Step Up Oklahoma plan and blamed Democrats.

“It is discouraging that most Democrats chose politics over people by refusing to vote for this budget package,” the governor said in a prepared statement. “Their no votes resulted in votes against a teacher pay raise, funding our health and human services and protecting our most vulnerable citizens, and against putting our state on a stable budget path forward.

“House Democrats are saying there will be a better budget plan submitted that they can support, but don’t count on it,” Fallin continued. “In November, 23 House Democrats voted for the A+ budget plan, but last night 11 fewer Democrats voted for a bigger and better plan, the Step Up Oklahoma plan. House Democrats keep moving the goalposts and the people of Oklahoma are the ones who lose.”

Step Up Oklahoma put out a statement Tuesday saying its effort “has run its course but the future of the state “is a cause worth the fight.”

“While we are disappointed by yesterday’s news, the coalition members are committed to demanding results from our elected officials,” the statement reads. “From the beginning, we knew passing a package that contained revenue measures would be difficult because of our state’s three-quarter majority threshold. However, we believe we brought forth a balanced, measured plan, one that would benefit our teachers, schools, hospitals, and businesses. Yesterday’s solid turnout of supportive advocates at the Capitol shows us that Oklahomans are ready for a change. They want our problems fixed.”

Bills and proposals initially deemed dead at the Capitol tend to have a way of rising from the ashes.

Nothing is really dead until lawmakers adjourn. The deadline is 5 p.m. the last Friday in May.

“It shouldn’t be the last plan,” said Sen. Marty Quinn, R-Claremore. “The reason we are here is to work out a solution.”

Quinn said he didn’t understand the mentality that cuts were now the only option.

“There have been deals made before and there will be deals made going forward,” Quinn said.

But Senate Majority Floor Leader Greg Treat, R-Oklahoma City, said the only option now is to spread the cuts across agencies and turn toward focusing on fiscal year 2019.

“I see no other plan,” Treat said. “I see a plan to cut and get on with the people’s business.”

Rep. Cory Williams, D-Stillwater, was among those who cast a no vote.

He said Fallin and legislative leadership might be frustrated by their inability to shame Republicans and Democrats into voting for the plan.

Williams said that while the Step Up Oklahoma plan was being billed as Plan A, it was actually closer to Plan Q, adding that several plans have been discussed in the last few months.

“It is hard to believe the state’s official position is that we are going to take our ball and go home on the sixth day of the session,” Williams said.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2018, 05:59:51 pm »

I believe there is more to this story. I spent yesterday morning at the Capital talking to legislators and this was a complicated bill.

I have faith a better revenue bill will emerge that gives teachers raises and protect social services.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #382 on: February 14, 2018, 06:17:58 pm »

I believe there is more to this story. I spent yesterday morning at the Capital talking to legislators and this was a complicated bill.

I have faith a better revenue bill will emerge that gives teachers raises and protect social services.

But they keep doing the same thing: Complicated bills, hold a carrot out in front of teachers then yank it away.  I hope you are right, RM, but given the history I'm not as optimistic as you.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #383 on: February 14, 2018, 06:51:09 pm »

I think as long as we have politicians on 23rd and Lincoln beholden to the Oil and Gas industry, then I say good luck with that because as long as that remains the status quo, there will NEVER been tax reform to that industry.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #384 on: February 14, 2018, 09:49:40 pm »

I have zero faith in the Republican Party, or what passes for it today, being able to govern.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2018, 11:26:04 am »

This pretty much covers how the OK government and the controlling lobby groups feel about anyone trying to make a change:

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2018, 12:28:00 pm »

I think as long as we have politicians on 23rd and Lincoln beholden to the Oil and Gas industry, then I say good luck with that because as long as that remains the status quo, there will NEVER been tax reform to that industry.

But it is happening. Unfortunately, on their terms.

The plan that just failed this last week was from the oil and gas industry. They saw the frustration from last year when every teacher learned about gross production taxes and found out that Oklahoma was only charging an effective rate of 3.2%.

Now there might be a statewide vote to make it 7%.
https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2017/12/21/group-led-by-long-time-energy-leader-seeks-public-vote-to-increase-oil-and-gas-taxes/

So a bunch of oil and gas people form a group that calls for it to be 4%. They dangle $5,000 pay raises to teachers and nobody reads the fine print. They also include legislation to cripple the competitive energy industries. It also lowers the standard deduction for all of us.

Then when 18 republicans and 17 democrats say it ain't enough, they suddenly become the scapegoats.

It was a brilliant plan.

If it would have worked perfectly, it would have nullified the upcoming vote of the people. When it didn't pass, they still benefited because everyone thinks they tried and those bad people hate kids and teachers. 

Here is my hope. They come back with a plan that makes it 5% and it passes. It should be 7%, but they don't want to gamble that they voters will make it 7%.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2018, 04:04:06 pm »

But it is happening. Unfortunately, on their terms.

The plan that just failed this last week was from the oil and gas industry. They saw the frustration from last year when every teacher learned about gross production taxes and found out that Oklahoma was only charging an effective rate of 3.2%.

Now there might be a statewide vote to make it 7%.
https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2017/12/21/group-led-by-long-time-energy-leader-seeks-public-vote-to-increase-oil-and-gas-taxes/

So a bunch of oil and gas people form a group that calls for it to be 4%. They dangle $5,000 pay raises to teachers and nobody reads the fine print. They also include legislation to cripple the competitive energy industries. It also lowers the standard deduction for all of us.

Then when 18 republicans and 17 democrats say it ain't enough, they suddenly become the scapegoats.

It was a brilliant plan.

If it would have worked perfectly, it would have nullified the upcoming vote of the people. When it didn't pass, they still benefited because everyone thinks they tried and those bad people hate kids and teachers. 

Here is my hope. They come back with a plan that makes it 5% and it passes. It should be 7%, but they don't want to gamble that they voters will make it 7%.

I don't get what difference the rate makes to the oil producers.  Unless I'm mistaken, a production tax would be a pass-through cost which does not impact profits, it is simply passed along until it reaches the consumer.  Considering other states with good reserves have higher GPT rates, it doesn't make Oklahoma's oil any less competitive in the marketplace.  Let's say it is not a pass-through cost.  With Oklahoma's low cost of living, and lax rules on fracking and waste disposal it could be assumed that the oil companies already enjoy a lower actual net production cost getting the oil out of the ground over other states with tighter disposal rules and higher cost of living.

I grew up in a family which benefitted directly from the oil business.  Certainly the industry has impacted the finances of every Oklahoman in some way because it is such a huge staple of the economy but it really pains me to see the shenanigans they are pulling simply for a bit more profit.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2018, 04:18:19 pm »

I don't get what difference the rate makes to the oil producers.  Unless I'm mistaken, a production tax would be a pass-through cost which does not impact profits, it is simply passed along until it reaches the consumer.  Considering other states with good reserves have higher GPT rates, it doesn't make Oklahoma's oil any less competitive in the marketplace.  Let's say it is not a pass-through cost.  With Oklahoma's low cost of living, and lax rules on fracking and waste disposal it could be assumed that the oil companies already enjoy a lower actual net production cost getting the oil out of the ground over other states with tighter disposal rules and higher cost of living.

I grew up in a family which benefitted directly from the oil business.  Certainly the industry has impacted the finances of every Oklahoman in some way because it is such a huge staple of the economy but it really pains me to see the shenanigans they are pulling simply for a bit more profit.

It's not even most oil producers. Most small energy companies in Oklahoma have older wells that actually pay 7%. Kaiser is in favor of 7%. I think the main push behind low production taxes for new well is mostly just two people, the CEOs of Devon and Continental who do so much of the fracking in Oklahoma.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2018, 04:00:01 pm »

Democrats who could have helped with the supermajority stood on principle on not enough was being done to turn back tax cuts.  I hope the Teacher's Union will remember those house members as well when it comes time to start shoveling the sh1t out of the OK House.  It might also be a good start if the energy industry's role in creating shadowy "advocacy" and campaign groups were blocked out entirely. 

No money for teachers but now a new mandate that they must post "In God We Trust" in classrooms.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/senate-panel-advances-bills-that-would-put-in-god-we/article_d13f655a-5873-5835-9b2d-db4de065170e.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org