A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:26:23 am
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260431 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #345 on: October 26, 2017, 12:36:48 pm »

1992 OK GOP:  Lets fix it so it is basically impossible for Democrats to raise taxes.  Yeah!
DNC: Ummm, that spells long term trouble.  We are supposed to be responsible leaders and we are in charge. How about no?
OK GOP:  Take it to the people!

2004 OK GOP:  Hey, we have control now.  Lets cut taxes all over. Yeah!
DNC:  Ummm, we will go broke.
OK GOP:  No way, we will totally be rich if we cut taxes!  Surpluses are coming our way!

2014: OK GOP:  Lets set up a system that automatically cuts income taxes.  Yeah!
DNC:  Ummm, we are already going broke.
OK GOP:  No way, we will totally make more in revenue if we cut taxes. 

2014 OK GOP:  Hey, lets cut the gross production tax.  Yeah!
DNC:  Ummm, we will go broke.
OK GOP:  No way, we will be doing so much more bidness the cash will flow.  The cash must flow!

2016 OK GOP:  Hey, ummm, we need some more coin.  Lets raise "fees" but totally not raise taxes.
DNC:  This isn't a real solution.  Please stop. Also, your automatic tax cuts are going to be triggered again.  We're broke.
OK GOP:  Nah, we just need to get spending under control and raise fees.

2017 OK GOP:  HOLY CRAP WE ARE BROKE!1!!1!!!  Stupid Courts threw out our fees!  Lets raise taxes, but not on oil companies or on wealthy individuals.
DNC:  Ummm, no.  Lets find a real solution.
OK GOP:  Stupid Democrats!  Why won't you work with us to make sound fiscal decisions!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TeeDub
« Reply #346 on: October 26, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »

So essentially you are saying that the DNC have been doomsayers since 1992?

They got it wrong for so long that when they finally get it right it appears that they are prophets!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #347 on: October 26, 2017, 05:52:26 pm »

They got it wrong for so long that when they finally get it right it appears that they are prophets!

They had it right then and now.  It has been so overwhelmingly proven beyond any doubt that cutting taxes does not create more of anything - especially not jobs or total tax revenue or higher incomes for anyone but the richest 1%.   But then, one would have to pull ones head out of that dark brown sewer tube that IS Fake Fox News.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2017, 09:26:53 am »

In 1992 the DNC said requiring a super majority to raise taxes and a simple majority to lower taxes would result in an untenable fiscal situation.  When the GOP took control that exact scenario played out.  That isn't magic or prophecy, it is using analytical skills and logic to draw a conclusion.  The GOP in California did the exact same thing in the 1990s.  The Cali DNC kept building in automatic increases to many popular programs, the GOP kept warning that unlimited spending couldn't last.  Eventually the program spending outstripped the states ability to pay.  There are many examples of both parties having stupid ideas and getting called out on the results well ahead of fruition.

It's not magic, it's responsible governing.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #349 on: October 27, 2017, 11:22:54 am »

Rumor on social media is that there is a pregnant staffer.

Oh man...prob makes that "eh eh eh" sound like the principal on Forrest Gump...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #350 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:33 am »

So the higher tax proposed for low point beer...won't low point beer cease to be once QT can carry high point beer?
TeeDub
« Reply #351 on: October 27, 2017, 07:14:20 pm »

So the higher tax proposed for low point beer...won't low point beer cease to be once QT can carry high point beer?

It was my understanding that they will most likely keep low point beer so that they can sell it outside liquor store hours...  I would image a large part of beer sales is after 9, on Sundays, etc.

If that part of the law changed I missed it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #352 on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:16 am »

Biggs Leaves Legislature

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/biggs-leaves-legislature

State Rep. Scott Biggs, a three-term Chickasha Republican who has recently opposed changes in Oklahoma's criminal justice system, has announced his resignation effective immediately. Biggs resigned Thursday in a letter to House Speaker Charles McCall, in which he said he'd accepted a federal appointment effective immediately. He didn't specify what his new job will be but said he believes he "can do much more for out state as I work to promote the agriculture industry in Oklahoma."

These jackasses need to pay for the special elections they force.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #353 on: November 03, 2017, 04:47:31 pm »

Biggs Leaves Legislature

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/biggs-leaves-legislature

See, we don't have this problem in New Mexico, they just go to the state house in Santa Fe to die, apparently.  Our state representative has been in office since 1973.  He's so old school he doesn't use email- serious.  Our state senator has been ensconced er in office since 1991.

Hey, they may be old and corrupt, but they don't cause daily embarrassments.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #354 on: November 07, 2017, 01:10:33 pm »

See, we don't have this problem in New Mexico, they just go to the state house in Santa Fe to die, apparently.  Our state representative has been in office since 1973.  He's so old school he doesn't use email- serious.  Our state senator has been ensconced er in office since 1991.

Hey, they may be old and corrupt, but they don't cause daily embarrassments.

Everyone is corrupt.  But you are so right - we never hear about NM doing the stupid stuff we do here!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:11 am »

Bad Laws Cost Oklahoma Millions in Court and in Lost Opportunity

Passed legislation, that even the non-legal scholar understands as unconstitutional, is costing this state millions in court. Dollars, many will tell you, we don't have to spend. Oklahoma has supplied material for late night comics and internet ridicule.

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/bad-laws-cost-oklahoma-millions-court-and-lost-opportunity

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2017, 12:29:56 pm »

Bad Laws Cost Oklahoma Millions in Court and in Lost Opportunity

Passed legislation, that even the non-legal scholar understands as unconstitutional, is costing this state millions in court. Dollars, many will tell you, we don't have to spend. Oklahoma has supplied material for late night comics and internet ridicule.

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/bad-laws-cost-oklahoma-millions-court-and-lost-opportunity

But we have a GREAT chance to get Amazon headquarters...!!

Not.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2017, 10:05:04 pm »

So Jenks just elected a Democrat to the state senate.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #358 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:48 am »

So Jenks just elected a Democrat to the state senate.

Surprising, isn't it...?

East Tulsa/West BA just elected another "cut waste" Republicontin - Ross Ford.  Those poor people just couldn't catch a clue if it was sitting still on their front porch with a leash and collar around it's neck.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #359 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:50 pm »

Loophole allows fundraisers during Oklahoma special session

http://www.kjrh.com/lifestyle/loophole-allows-fundraisers-during-oklahoma-special-session

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma legislators have been raising thousands of dollars from lobbyists at lavish fundraisers during a special session limping into its eighth week, yet they've failed to make much progress toward plugging a $215 million hole in the state budget.

The Associated Press obtained invitations to a dozen scheduled fundraisers for some of the Legislature's top Republican leaders, including the powerful chairs of the appropriations committees in the House and Senate.

Legislators can face up to a year in jail and fines for accepting contributions from lobbyists during the regular session that runs from February to May. But that misdemeanor crime doesn't apply during the special session now limping into its eighth week.

State House and Senate members are taking full advantage, raising money for elections a year away.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org