A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:53:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260659 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »

Fiddling while Rome is burning...

Oklahoma Senate OKs Bill for Clergy to Refuse Gay Marriage

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-senate-oks-bill-clergy-refuse-gay-marriage

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Legislation that protects members of the clergy who refuse to solemnize a same-sex marriage has been approved by the Oklahoma Senate.

Senators voted 39-6 for the measure Wednesday and sent it to the House, which has passed a similar bill.

The measure by Republican Senator Dan Newberry of Tulsa protects clergy members and others authorized to perform marriage ceremonies from being required to perform those duties if it conflicts with their religious beliefs. It would also shield churches from being required to participate in ceremonies that might conflict for religious reasons.

A federal judge last year struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage. The measure is one of several that gay rights groups say discriminates against the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2015, 12:38:08 pm »

Fiddling while Rome is burning...

Oklahoma Senate OKs Bill for Clergy to Refuse Gay Marriage

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-senate-oks-bill-clergy-refuse-gay-marriage

It's Oklahoma.... you cannot possibly have expected anything different at this late date...

Sadly....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2015, 12:40:57 pm »

It's Oklahoma.... you cannot possibly have expected anything different at this late date...

Sadly....

I knew Newberry years ago.  Nice guy but wrong so often.  

I usually think stupid decisions by legislators are made to kiss up to the voters...in Dan's case, he really believes this nonsense.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2015, 01:02:08 pm »

I just love living here!!  Think how boring it would be anywhere else....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2015, 08:32:18 pm »

So 1, they have a bill that would make it so that you have to have a minister or someone ordained take the marriage license to a judge. Then 2. they then have a bill that says that ministers/clergy can refuse to marry gay people. 

I wonder if part of their thinking is that this will stop gay marriage because no clergy would want to marry gay people?

If they think that then they really have no idea about the real world.  When Chris and I got married we had about a hundred people (literally) who could and would have been happy to marry us.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2015, 02:26:30 pm »

So 1, they have a bill that would make it so that you have to have a minister or someone ordained take the marriage license to a judge. Then 2. they then have a bill that says that ministers/clergy can refuse to marry gay people.  

I wonder if part of their thinking is that this will stop gay marriage because no clergy would want to marry gay people?

If they think that then they really have no idea about the real world.  When Chris and I got married we had about a hundred people (literally) who could and would have been happy to marry us.

One of the kids got ordained just so she could marry a couple of good friends.  Not an impediment, is it?

Out of Oklahoma, of course.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2015, 05:55:04 pm »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/oklahoma-dem-amendment-christian-businesses-must-post-notice-of-anti-gay-discrimination/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2015, 11:57:18 am »

Snowball, Hell.  Hell, snowball:

Oklahoma Legislature Considering Online Voter Registration

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-legislature-considering-online-voter-registration

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — More than a third of Oklahoma's eligible voters aren't registered, so lawmakers are considering allowing online registration to make the process more convenient and renew interest in elections.

State Election Board statistics show that more than 2.1 million people were registered to vote in January 2005. Ten years later and about 10 percent more residents, 119,280 fewer Oklahoma residents were registered to vote.

Last year's general election drew less than 30 percent of Oklahoma's eligible voters.

Republican Sen. David Holt says the registration issue is part of the reason. Legislation he authored would create a secure online voter registration system for the state like those in place in 23 other states.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2015, 04:07:47 pm »

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-legislature-considering-online-voter-registration

It's discriminatory favoring the rich. Only they can afford computers.  Roll Eyes

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
saintnicster
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:41 pm »

While it will be welcome, I assume that they're going to try to write their own system, rather than purchasing something that already exists :/
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:17 am »

Panel OKs Bill Prohibiting Payroll Deductions for Union Dues

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/panel-oks-bill-prohibiting-payroll-deductions-union-dues

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A bill that prohibits Oklahoma school districts from making payroll deductions for its employees for union membership has narrowly passed a state Senate committee.

The Senate General Government Committee voted 4-3 Monday for the bill by Republican Sen. Nathan Dahm of Broken Arrow, the chairman of the committee. The bill already passed the House and now heads to the full Senate for consideration.

The bill's approval came despite opposition from the state's two largest teacher unions — the Oklahoma Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers.

Dahm says he doesn't believe the state should be in the business of making payroll deductions.

But Westmoore High School teacher Elise Robillard says the bill unfairly targets Oklahoma teachers who already are suffering from low morale.

"Dahm says he doesn't believe the state should be in the business of making payroll deductions."   WAT
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2015, 08:40:30 am »

Group Says Oklahoma Bill Threatens Federal Flood Insurance

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/group-says-oklahoma-bill-threatens-federal-flood-insurance

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A group responsible for managing Oklahoma's floodplains says bills moving through the Legislature that prohibit cities from regulating oil and natural gas drilling operations could prevent the state from participating in the National Flood Insurance Program.

The Tulsa World reports that the Oklahoma Floodplain Managers Association has sent a letter to lawmakers warning that the local control legislation might prevent flood insurance policies from being written and renewed.

The bills would limit the ability of local governments to regulate drilling issues including setbacks, noise, odor and dust. They would also prohibit local governments from banning drilling.

The National Flood Insurance Program requires participating communities to adopt and enforce an ordinance that reduces the risk of flooding in the 100-year floodplain. In return, the federal government provides subsidized flood insurance.

As long as the oil industry is okay though...

"Should've built your town on higher ground..."
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2015, 09:21:33 am »

It's discriminatory favoring the rich. Only they can afford computers.  Roll Eyes

They can go to the library.

Maybe read a book while there, too!  That's what I tell all the family kids....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2015, 12:08:02 pm »

Small government! We don't need a big central government telling us what to do. Central government is corrupt, inefficient, and subservient to special interest groups!

Oh wait, what? Local government disagrees with some of what I want? Then let me clarify.

WE need the Central Government in Washington to leave the local government here in Oklahoma City by and for the Great State of Oklahoma well enough alone. But the People of Oklahoma need us here in Oklahoma City to keep the local governments from oppressing them. Because central government knows best.

I can has oil check now?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org