A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260562 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:48 am »

Hanging is not legal in Oklahoma.
No problem change the law and make it legal. Give the killer a choice, -it's more than he gave his victim- let him pick between firing squad & hanging.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2015, 08:12:41 am »

Anyone think one of our legislators will make it on national news?

Muslim Day to be Held at Oklahoma Capitol

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/muslim-day-be-held-oklahoma-capitol

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Muslims from across the state of Oklahoma will come to the state Capitol later this month to learn about the legislative process and join panel discussions on issues important to their community.

The Oklahoma chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations announced its first ever "Muslim Day" will be held at the Capitol on February 27th. Executive Director Adam Soltani says he expects more than 100 people to attend the event.

Soltani says the event is designed to encourage members of the Muslim faith to be civically engaged and communicate with their lawmakers.

A similar event at the state Capitol in Texas last week sparked outrage after a group of vitriolic protesters heckled Muslim participants. One woman grabbed the microphone and yelled about Islam.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2015, 08:36:50 am »

Nope.  Probably more than one, given the level of crazy that seems to exist in the Oklahoma State House.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2015, 09:17:51 am »

Dude, it’s "Mooslim Day”.  K?

They will probably have lots of them Ay-rabs, Eye-rackies, and Eye-rainians all up in that capitol.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »

Oklahoma House Panel Approves Public Vote on 3 Issues

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-house-panel-approves-public-vote-3-issues

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma voters would get to decide if the governor and lieutenant governor should run on a ticket together, whether Oklahomans need more gun rights, and if the entire state constitution should be rewritten.

The House Rules Committee approved the three separate measures on Wednesday that would send proposals to a vote of the people. All three resolutions now go to the full House.

Republican Rep. Gary Banz of Midwest City wants the people to decide if the governor and lieutenant governor should run together, and whether it's time for a state constitutional convention.

A separate proposal by Republican Rep. Dan Fisher of El Reno calls for a public vote on whether to amend the constitution to strengthen an individual's right to keep and bear arms.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »

Because the Second Amendment doesn't already do this.  SMFH.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:13 pm »

The newly elected Republican super majority in Oklahoma is horrid.

We have either proposed, or moved forward to:

1) Take money away from schools to use for jails.
2) Money from schools to go to Oklahoma City's pet project (Indian museum)
3) Ban AP classes because they want to teach American history (news flash! We aren't and haven't always been perfect. GASP!)
4) Forbid multilingual schools.
5) Reduced taxes on the wealthiest Oklahomans, telling citizens there was plenty of money, only to recant a few weeks later and admit we face a $600,000,000.00 hole.
6) Propose arming college students in class (remember, we can't trust half of them to drink... but GUNS FOR EVERYONE!)
7) Exempt Oklahoma laws from the US Constitution (seriously, numerous laws propose this)
Cool Forbid Oklahoma Judges from enforcing the US Constitution under threat of firing and revocation of pernsion
9) Numerous bills making sure "them gays" know we hate and fear them due to our religious beliefs
10) Numerous bills to teach baptist Christianity in the classroom (please don't be confused, we don't need no Papist type teachin') or otherwise fund Medrassas (or whatever you call the fundamentalist christian equivalent) 
11) Ban the Oklahoma Bar Association
12) Exempt Oklahoma laws from challenges under the Oklahoma Constitution
13) Get rid of OSCN (public access to Court information)

Continuous lip service to responsible government.

We have roads that are rated a D. Our bridges have an overall grade of "deficient."  Our levies and dams are considered "priority status" by the Corps of Engineers. Our educational system compares unfavorably with Arkansas and New Mexico while we are damn glad Mississippi exists. Our public health is consistently among the worst in the Union (which isn't among the best in the world). Our standard of living is falling. Oklahoma is in the bottom 10 for average wages earned. Are are disproportionately disabled. We have a higher poverty rate than most states. We have more women in prison than anywhere else. We struggle to attract, retain, or train an educated work force.

We have REAL PROBLEMS. Courts. Infrastructure. Public health. Education. Public safety. And setting up the correct conditions for prosperity is what the government is supposed to do. Instead we are focused on fighting against public education, taking funding away from infrastructure, blindly funding more prisons, not caring at all about health, and making damn sure gay people know we don't like them.  ("HEY GAY PEOPLE, OKLAHOMA DOESN'T LIKE YOU! Even though you are disproportionately educated, wealthy, and statistically unlikely to commit crimes... we don't want you here." I hear that's what the new Welcome to Oklahoma sign is going to say)

Again,we have actual issues.

My proposed to laws:

A) If a legislator cannot pass the final exam of an AP history AND civics course, they are not eligible for office
B) We already fought the "gay" fight, move on
C) Education is essential for business and leads to prosperity, fund it
D) Infrastructure is essential for business and leads to prosperity, fund it
E) Taxes are bad, but we need tax revenue to fund things. Get over it
F) Quality of life counts: art, parks, recreation, festivals, celebrations, public works... these things are not a waste
G) Not all social problems can be solved by building more prisons
F) Other people have solved our problems, find what works and do that

Annnnnnnnnd GO!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2015, 02:09:31 pm »

Lest anyone question why I’m a former Republican....

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »

I think we can pretty safely now say

"We're Number 1, We're Number 1, We're Number 1!"
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »

The newly elected Republican super majority in Oklahoma is horrid.

We have either proposed, or moved forward to:

1) Take money away from schools to use for jails.
2) Money from schools to go to Oklahoma City's pet project (Indian museum)
3) Ban AP classes because they want to teach American history (news flash! We aren't and haven't always been perfect. GASP!)
4) Forbid multilingual schools.
5) Reduced taxes on the wealthiest Oklahomans, telling citizens there was plenty of money, only to recant a few weeks later and admit we face a $600,000,000.00 hole.
6) Propose arming college students in class (remember, we can't trust half of them to drink... but GUNS FOR EVERYONE!)
7) Exempt Oklahoma laws from the US Constitution (seriously, numerous laws propose this)
Cool Forbid Oklahoma Judges from enforcing the US Constitution under threat of firing and revocation of pernsion
9) Numerous bills making sure "them gays" know we hate and fear them due to our religious beliefs
10) Numerous bills to teach baptist Christianity in the classroom (please don't be confused, we don't need no Papist type teachin') or otherwise fund Medrassas (or whatever you call the fundamentalist christian equivalent) 
11) Ban the Oklahoma Bar Association
12) Exempt Oklahoma laws from challenges under the Oklahoma Constitution
13) Get rid of OSCN (public access to Court information)

Continuous lip service to responsible government.

We have roads that are rated a D. Our bridges have an overall grade of "deficient."  Our levies and dams are considered "priority status" by the Corps of Engineers. Our educational system compares unfavorably with Arkansas and New Mexico while we are damn glad Mississippi exists. Our public health is consistently among the worst in the Union (which isn't among the best in the world). Our standard of living is falling. Oklahoma is in the bottom 10 for average wages earned. Are are disproportionately disabled. We have a higher poverty rate than most states. We have more women in prison than anywhere else. We struggle to attract, retain, or train an educated work force.

We have REAL PROBLEMS. Courts. Infrastructure. Public health. Education. Public safety. And setting up the correct conditions for prosperity is what the government is supposed to do. Instead we are focused on fighting against public education, taking funding away from infrastructure, blindly funding more prisons, not caring at all about health, and making damn sure gay people know we don't like them.  ("HEY GAY PEOPLE, OKLAHOMA DOESN'T LIKE YOU! Even though you are disproportionately educated, wealthy, and statistically unlikely to commit crimes... we don't want you here." I hear that's what the new Welcome to Oklahoma sign is going to say)

Again,we have actual issues.

My proposed to laws:

A) If a legislator cannot pass the final exam of an AP history AND civics course, they are not eligible for office
B) We already fought the "gay" fight, move on
C) Education is essential for business and leads to prosperity, fund it
D) Infrastructure is essential for business and leads to prosperity, fund it
E) Taxes are bad, but we need tax revenue to fund things. Get over it
F) Quality of life counts: art, parks, recreation, festivals, celebrations, public works... these things are not a waste
G) Not all social problems can be solved by building more prisons
F) Other people have solved our problems, find what works and do that

Annnnnnnnnd GO!

Aahhyyepppp! 

Summarizes why we have such a horrendous drain of intelligent, talented, highly-skilled, and technical people from the state.  Educated people are getting tired of fighting the fight.

We're Number 48!!  We're Number 48!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 08:48:28 pm »

Lest anyone question why I’m a former Republican....

Same here. 

I'm 38, I decided to stay here after college, but the last few weeks have me really regretting that decision!  Besides low cost of living, can anyone tell me a benefit for living here anymore??  The state is broke, there are few with any common sense trying to fix it, we are a national laughing stock, and there is no end to the madness in sight.  My partner has wanted to leave the state for the last two years, but I've fought him on it, saying that people like us need to stay and fix things.  Now I'm wondering what the hell I'm fighting for??  Huh Geeeeez.

And who are all these dingbats voting these people in?? From what I see on social media and on here, these ideas are all WIDELY being condemned as nutty.  Maybe I'm too insulated from the "real" Oklahoma.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2015, 09:19:26 pm »

Same here. 

I'm 38, I decided to stay here after college, but the last few weeks have me really regretting that decision!  Besides low cost of living, can anyone tell me a benefit for living here anymore??  The state is broke, there are few with any common sense trying to fix it, we are a national laughing stock, and there is no end to the madness in sight.  My partner has wanted to leave the state for the last two years, but I've fought him on it, saying that people like us need to stay and fix things.  Now I'm wondering what the hell I'm fighting for??  Huh Geeeeez.

And who are all these dingbats voting these people in?? From what I see on social media and on here, these ideas are all WIDELY being condemned as nutty.  Maybe I'm too insulated from the "real" Oklahoma.

I'm still a Republican...I'm just an old fashioned Republican apparently.

I'm with you.  We're getting closer and closer to leaving.

We've discussed where we'd like to go.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:47 pm »

I'm still a Republican...I'm just an old fashioned Republican apparently.

I'm with you.  We're getting closer and closer to leaving.

Just promise to come visit MC and I in Pagosa Springs, Co. or (destination yet unknown), northern NM every now and then.

I’ve looked into the BVI’s but our retirement fund won’t get us as far down there.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:44 pm »

Hang out here long enough and people will tell you where to go.

Grin

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:41 pm »

So now the rep who introduced the bill banning AP History says it 'was very poorly worded'.  After getting national and world acclaim for quite possible the dumbest (well, next to Kern's bills) bill ever seen.  And after an online petition got nearly 10,000 signatures, he says they will pull the bill and rewrite it.  That's likely OK-R speak for "you won't see it in this light again".

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org