A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:24 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260534 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »

I suspect the stem cell issue comes from the irrational fear that people would get paid to abort fetuses for stem cell research.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:50 pm »

Now they're hatin' on Fallin:

Senate Votes to Override Governor's Veto

http://kwgs.com/post/senate-votes-override-governors-veto

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma Senate has voted to override Gov. Mary Fallin's veto of a House bill dealing with federal gun regulations.

The Senate voted 39-0 Thursday in favor of the override. The House voted 86-3 on April 30 to override the veto and the bill now becomes law without the governor's signature.

The Senate action is the latest signal of growing tension between the Republican governor and the GOP-controlled Legislature.

Last week, Fallin vetoed 15 House bills she says were unnecessary or didn't have a meaningful purpose. She accused the House of not acting on some of her key agenda items, including a plan to repair the Capitol building.

It's the first successful override since Fallin took office in 2011. A governor's spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »

Now they're hatin' on Fallin:

That’s not much of an accomplishment, it’s easy to do.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2014, 11:27:28 am »

I didn't really think he deserved his own thread for this so I figured here is good.

Ex-Oklahoma Senate leader charged with DUI, Bribery

http://kwgs.com/post/ex-oklahoma-senate-leader-charged-dui-bribery

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — A former leader of the Oklahoma Senate has been charged with aggravated drunk driving and attempting to bribe a police officer after being arrested during the weekend in Noble.

Former state Sen. Cal Hobson was charged Monday in Cleveland County District Court.

A police affidavit says Hobson was stopped Sunday by a Noble police officer who witnessed his vehicle swerving. The officer reported Hobson's blood-alcohol content was .27, more than three times the legal limit.

While transporting Hobson to jail, the officer said Hobson offered him up to $50,000 to release him.

Hobson did not immediately return a telephone message, and court records don't indicate if he has an attorney.

Hobson is a former president pro tem of the Oklahoma Senate and currently a Democratic candidate for Cleveland County commissioner.

.27...that dude was tanked
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2014, 11:50:44 am »

Yikes

Oklahoma Lawmaker, GOP Chair Affirm Anti-Muslim Post

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-lawmaker-gop-chair-affirm-anti-muslim-post

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A GOP state legislator and the chairman of the Oklahoma Republican Party are standing behind anti-Muslim remarks the lawmaker posted to his Facebook page, and both say they have no plans to apologize.

A Muslim advocacy group has called for state Representative John Bennett to apologize after he posted a comment to his Facebook page urging people, especially Christians, to "be wary of the individuals who claim to be Muslim-American." The Sallisaw Republican also said in his post that the Islamic holy book, the Quran, calls for the killing of non-Muslims.

The Oklahoma chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations' Director Adam Soltani called the comments "inappropriate and offensive."

Bennett says he has no plans to apologize, while Oklahoma Republican Party Chairman Dave Weston described Bennett's comments as "accurate."
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:46 pm »

Yikes

Oklahoma Lawmaker, GOP Chair Affirm Anti-Muslim Post

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-lawmaker-gop-chair-affirm-anti-muslim-post

Just wow. And the state chair just doubles down on it.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »

I'm disappointed in Mary Fallin's  halt in executions. The killers on death row did not halt what they did to their victims, the jury spoke and they need to pay for their murders. You take a life you lose your life  it's that simple. Let's scrap injection and go to the firing squad or hanging it's quick sure and gets the job done with hanging we can use the same rope over & over too.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2014, 01:22:19 pm »

I'm disappointed in Mary Fallin's  halt in executions. The killers on death row did not halt what they did to their victims, the jury spoke and they need to pay for their murders. You take a life you lose your life  it's that simple. Let's scrap injection and go to the firing squad or hanging it's quick sure and gets the job done with hanging we can use the same rope over & over too.

Hanging is not legal in Oklahoma.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »

Just wow. And the state chair just doubles down on it.

Yep.  Any question why I renounced my “R” designation a few years back?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

Eh, I'm still registered R.  I just tell myself I'm not an "Oklahoma R".

That way I can still vote in the primaries.  Thank you out-dated Oklahoma election laws.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »

Eh, I'm still registered R.  I just tell myself I'm not an "Oklahoma R".

That way I can still vote in the primaries.  Thank you out-dated Oklahoma election laws.

Darn! Something we don't totally disagree on.  I am actually OK with closed primaries with the exception of when no opposing candidate will be in the general election.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »

Yes, now you have no say in the primaries.  You are totally subject to other's selections of candidates for the general elections.  I hate to say it but see Townsend's comments on this.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2014, 06:06:05 pm »

Hanging is not legal in Oklahoma.

I believe that was changed before.  It could be changed again.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »

Yes, now you have no say in the primaries.  You are totally subject to other's selections of candidates for the general elections.  I hate to say it but see Townsend's comments on this.

Yep saw that.  Experienced it when I showed up to vote for the DA race a few weeks ago.  Forgot it was an R primary run-off. 

I’m stubborn like that.  I simply can’t identify with the cro-magnons and neanderthals inhabiting the halls of legislature in OKC.  They are a complete embarrassment to the Republican party I joined in 1984.  They aren’t “Reagan conservatives” by any measure.  If they took an objective look at Reagan, they’d consider him a liberal.  The only part of his legacy which makes me cringe was his courting of the moral majority.  Should have left them with the southern Democrats, but that was the strategy which got him elected and re-elected.  And probably the main reason the south is solidly red these days.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »

Yep saw that.  Experienced it when I showed up to vote for the DA race a few weeks ago.  Forgot it was an R primary run-off. 

I’m stubborn like that.  I simply can’t identify with the cro-magnons and neanderthals inhabiting the halls of legislature in OKC.  They are a complete embarrassment to the Republican party I joined in 1984.  They aren’t “Reagan conservatives” by any measure.  If they took an objective look at Reagan, they’d consider him a liberal.  The only part of his legacy which makes me cringe was his courting of the moral majority.  Should have left them with the southern Democrats, but that was the strategy which got him elected and re-elected.  And probably the main reason the south is solidly red these days.

I cannot disagree with your sentiment but now you cannot help change things.  You probably couldn't anyway but you cannot even enable the miracle now. I have voted for the occasional Democrat.  It was a very difficult thing to do though. It usually involved the "R" touting religion as a major qualifier for office.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org