A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:08:14 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 263825 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »

On the other hand, we're making the Arizona legislature feel pretty good about themselves.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2014, 09:34:09 am »

A good a place as any to post this.  So the producers of August, Osage County will get a $5 million rebate on the $35 million they spent filming.  That’s likely $35 million which would have been spent elsewhere.  There are plenty of other rural settings around the country that could have doubled for Osage County.

Looking at some of the quotes, our state legislature sounds like an 1870’s Victorian sewing circle.

By RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer | 27 comments
The treatment given "August: Osage County" by the critics and the Academy Awards was nothing compared to the way it was kicked around Monday by the Oklahoma House of Representatives.

"A movie almost nobody saw!"

"Filth!"

"We don't need that kind of thing around here!"

Critics --— and there were plenty of them --— said the movie about a flawed Oklahoma family and its overbearing matriarch was a prime example of why the state's film-incentive program should not be renewed.

"Aren't we just reimbursing movie stars who come to town for their motel and meals?" asked Rep. James Lockhart, D-Hartshorne.

"If you could bring the whole city of Hollywood here ... I wouldn't want them," said Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City.

Dank, a particularly intractable opponent of the program, said "August: Osage County" was bad for the state's image and that a film proposed for the
Ponca City area, about former Oklahoma first lady Lydie Marland, would be worse.

"It's about a 50-year-old (governor) who married his 20-year-old stepdaughter," Dank said.

Marland and her adopted father, oilman E.W. Marland, married after Marland's first wife — Lydie's aunt — died. Marland was 54, Lydie 28.

Following E.W. Marland's death, Lydie Marland disappeared for more than two decades and remained a mysterious figure until her death in 1987.
"What are they going to do next," asked Dank. " 'The Grapes of Wrath'?"

Dank and others argued that there is no proof the program helps the state's economy.

Supporters say it is both good exposure and a sound investment.

The film rebate is one of the smaller business-incentive programs the state offers. Capped at $5 million, it reimburses filmmakers for one-third of qualified expenses — generally money spent in the state for payroll, goods or services.

Cast salaries qualify only if the actor is Oklahoma-based.

Reportedly, the makers of "August: Osage County" spent $35.1 million in the state and will get about $5 million back through the program.

House Bill 2580, which would authorize the program's renewal for 10 years, failed on a 48-43 vote, three short of the 51 votes needed. Ten members did not vote.

Jill Simpson, director of the Oklahoma Film and Music Office, said that without the rebate, the state is unlikely to have much in the way of film or television activity.

"Forty-six states have a tax rebate or credit," she said in an email. "If we eliminate the film incentive, films will simply no longer be made here. That will cost taxpayers more than the rebate."

A Senate version of the rebate extension has already passed that body, and HB 2580 is likely to be brought back up for reconsideration, possibly as soon as Tuesday.

Also Monday:

Speaker Jeff Hickman, R-Fairview, announced several leadership changes, including his appointment of Rep. Jason Nelson, R-Oklahoma City, to the new position of deputy majority floor leader.

Hickman also rearranged several committee chairmanships and vice-chairmanships.

House Bill 2317, the "Merry Christmas Bill," had some rough sledding as several members questioned its usefulness while others said it represented the membership's lack of perspective.

The bill, by Rep. Bobby Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, is intended to allow schools to observe "winter holidays" — essentially Christmas and Hanukkah — without fear of legal retribution.

Rep. Mike Shelton, D-Oklahoma City, tried to amend HB 2317 to include Kwanzaa, a secular observance of black culture and history held Dec. 26-Jan. 1.
Rep. Justin Wood, R-Shawnee, quickly moved to table Shelton's amendment, saying, "With all due respect —"

"No," Shelton interrupted. "There is no respect. That's the point."

That began a 90-minute discussion during which everyone agreed that Christmas is a good thing but not whether a law to that effect is necessary or even helpful.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:31 am »

They need to make a movie about OK's legislature. If we could find the Marx brother's clones it would be first rate.

Throwing away 30 million because they didn't like the movie? At least they are consistent in ignoring reality and truth and in throwing away opportunities to increase our state revenues. The Marland story is verifiable and interesting.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2014, 10:48:14 am »

They need to make a movie about OK's legislature. If we could find the Marx brother's clones it would be first rate.

Throwing away 30 million because they didn't like the movie? At least they are consistent in ignoring reality and truth and in throwing away opportunities to increase our state revenues. The Marland story is verifiable and interesting.

I was thinking Three Stooges.  Close enough!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:55 am »

Dumber & Dumber?

the only accurate assessment:  "A movie almost nobody saw!"
which doesn't change economics of the rebate.
If anything it kinda makes their "it makes us look bad" concerns moot.
If nobody saw the movie, does it matter?

I haven't seen it..  Is it obviously set in OK?  I would assume so based on the title.

If anything makes us look like backwards hicks, it's all the unconstitutional legislation we keep voting for.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:31 am »

I just read that nonsense at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/august-osage-county-lawmakers-criticize-movie-want-to-kill-film/article_afa11076-c7cd-5d89-8f52-af932bccb024.html They actually voted it down with ten more votes not cast.

I love my home State and I am always proud when a major Motion Picture is filmed here. I don't really know why but probably because we get so little to celebrate around here with State Lawmakers trying to ruin what little progress this State tries to make.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »

The type of reporting only the Tulsa World can do:

The bill, by Rep. Bobby Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, is intended to allow schools to observe "winter holidays" — essentially Christmas and Hanukkah — without fear of legal retribution.

Rep. Mike Shelton, D-Oklahoma City, tried to amend HB 2317 to include Kwanzaa, a secular observance of black culture and history held Dec. 26-Jan. 1.

Rep. Justin Wood, R-Shawnee, quickly moved to table Shelton's amendment, saying, "With all due respect —"

Priceless.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »

A good a place as any to post this.  So the producers of August, Osage County will get a $5 million rebate on the $35 million they spent filming.  That’s likely $35 million which would have been spent elsewhere.  There are plenty of other rural settings around the country that could have doubled for Osage County.

Looking at some of the quotes, our state legislature sounds like an 1870’s Victorian sewing circle.

Take 2; House Takes 'Action' on Film Tax Credits

http://kwgs.com/post/take-2-house-takes-action-film-tax-credits

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma House has — on its second try — passed a bill to extend a tax credit for the film industry. The House voted 65-28 for the measure Tuesday after reconsidering the bill. It had fallen three votes short of passing on Monday. The state provides rebates to filmmakers amounting to $1 for every $3 dollars they spend on movie productions in Oklahoma, up to a total of $5 million. The program is scheduled to expire July 1. The bill by Republican Rep. Todd Thomsen of Ada extends the credit for 10 years to 2024. Opponents say the program is a wasteful use of tax dollars. They also say the Oscar-nominated film "August: Osage County," which used the rebate program, portrayed Oklahoma negatively. ___
saintnicster
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:20 am »

The type of reporting only the Tulsa World can do:

Priceless.

That's pretty great xD
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2014, 07:03:19 pm »

Reality is always a b$tch to the small minds in the legislature and elsewhere in various Oklahoma governments (can anyone spell "Failin'"?) when it comes to stuff that doesn't keep this state trending backwards and lower (in all the benchmarks that would mean improvement for the people of the state.)

Got to spend some time in St. Louis last weekend during their latest snow/sleet/ice event.  Roads are good.  Traffic flowed well.  The plow/sand/salt trucks were everywhere - going over streets again that I looked at and thought, wow, how great was the condition of that road....before that last pass.

Plus, Sweetie Pies is GREAT!!!  Great chicken.  Great pork steak.  Great catfish.  Better than GREAT mac and cheese!!!  Great pear cobbler!  Oh...the sweet potatoes - wow!!  Black eyed peas and whole kernel corn among the best I have found across the nation!  Sadly, I don't think I made the tv show.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:07:44 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2014, 11:13:53 am »

Senate OKs Strict New Abortion Regulations

http://kwgs.com/post/senate-oks-strict-new-abortion-regulations

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A bill that would impose strict new state regulations and requirements for abortion providers in Oklahoma has easily passed the state Senate.

With little discussion and no debate, the Senate voted 34-8 on Wednesday for the bill by Oklahoma City Republican Sen. Greg Treat. The measure now heads to the House, which has supported most anti-abortion legislation.

The bill requires the state Board of Health to develop a list of standards for facilities, supplies, equipment and personnel that abortion providers must maintain at all times.

Among the requirements is that a physician with admitting privileges at an accredited hospital within 30 miles of the facility be on the premises on any day that an abortion is performed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2014, 02:17:30 pm »

Brain surgeons and heart surgeons are not required to follow those requirements. I am suspicious that it ain't really about the doctor or the patient.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2014, 12:00:08 pm »

Apparently lawmakers are concerned about students and school faculty getting tazed for saying something religious to each other. 

The good news is, all of us can continue to grow super humans in our basements.

'Merry Christmas' Bill Languishing in Senate

http://kwgs.com/post/merry-christmas-bill-languishing-senate

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Several House members are complaining their bills to outlaw embryonic research and to allow school employees to deliver "Merry Christmas" greetings to one another aren't getting a hearing in the Senate.

Rep. Bobby Cleveland's so-called "Merry Christmas" bill that specifically authorizes school district employees to use the greeting and erect nativity scenes has stalled in the Senate Education Committee.

A separate measure that prohibits research involving human embryos has not been scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Health and Human Services Committee.

A third stalled measure would direct school districts to adopt new policies for student speakers and permit students to express their religious beliefs in homework and classroom assignments without penalty.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2014, 12:30:39 pm »

I received an auto dealer call on this issue.

Seems to me expressly authorizing Christian greetings and the placing of baby Jesus idols in schools is a problem.  Que the flying spaghetti monster and full pirate regalia.

And why bam stem cell research?  We allow our led students to carve up dead people without even flinching.  Yet learning from cells is over the line?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2014, 12:39:18 pm »

I received an auto dealer call on this issue.

Seems to me expressly authorizing Christian greetings and the placing of baby Jesus idols in schools is a problem.  Que the flying spaghetti monster and full pirate regalia.

And why bam stem cell research?  We allow our led students to carve up dead people without even flinching.  Yet learning from cells is over the line?

It's that evil science.  You know, these are the same kinds of people complaining about not being afforded a forum to discuss creationism on "Cosmos".

Probably because 'creationism' is a belief.  It ain't science.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org