A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:23:16 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260648 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 02:33:48 pm »

I don't agree with Oklahoma's legislature as being the worst in the nation, Nebraska has a one-house system they call it a "UniCaminal" and it does not work well at all.

Ok, ill throw him a clue:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBt8ZERvE1Q[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 05:04:54 pm »

I don't agree with Oklahoma's legislature as being the worst in the nation, Nebraska has a one-house system they call it a "UniCaminal" and it does not work well at all. Oklahoma is doing pretty darn good with low unemployment and low taxes and a low cost of living, it's hard to beat that. We have a good Governor who works for the people. Oklahoma is OK compaired to many other states. I have lived in 5 states.

All 5 at once, no doubt....  every been to the state of "Reality"??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:10 pm »

All 5 at once, no doubt....  every been to the state of "Reality"??

Plus, what's a "UniCaminal"?  Sounds like something you'd find in a men's restroom.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »

Yep, Nebraska is the only state that has a combined house & senate into one. Anyhow I heard that the state of LA is also working to get rid of their state income tax. Oklahoma may be going to a flat rate income tax of 2.2% I heard mentioned on the radio news. (KRMG). I wish Oklahoma would just get rid of the state income tax and be like Texas.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »

Yep, Nebraska is the only state that has a combined house & senate into one. Anyhow I heard that the state of LA is also working to get rid of their state income tax. Oklahoma may be going to a flat rate income tax of 2.2% I heard mentioned on the radio news. (KRMG). I wish Oklahoma would just get rid of the state income tax and be like Texas.

You are aware that Texas has very high property tax rates to compensate for the lack of a state income tax, right?  Personally, I'd rather see one collection point instead of a hodge-podge of taxes and "fees".

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 02:42:53 pm »

You are aware that Texas has very high property tax rates to compensate for the lack of a state income tax, right?  Personally, I'd rather see one collection point instead of a hodge-podge of taxes and "fees".

Not like I haven't mentioned that at least as many times as he has mentioned wishing OK would abolish the state income tax.

Which would be a lot.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »

Oklahoma may be going to a flat rate income tax of 2.2% I heard mentioned on the radio news. (KRMG).

If it passes, I hope you make pretty good money or your taxes will increase.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 04:25:26 pm »

Not like I haven't mentioned that at least as many times as he has mentioned wishing OK would abolish the state income tax.

Which would be a lot.

I'm sure it would help Mary Fallin make unemployment less than 1%.  She's really pro-job.  Brad Henry- man what was unemployment under him 98%?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »

I'm sure it would help Mary Fallin make unemployment less than 1%.  She's really pro-job.  Brad Henry- man what was unemployment under him 98%?

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST400000&fdim_y=seasonality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=oklahoma%20unemployment

Henry was 2003 thru 2010.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 12:20:44 am »

You apparently didn't catch me channeling my inner kraut.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 12:27:36 am »

You apparently didn't catch me channeling my inner kraut.

I did, actually.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 10:23:31 am »

Oklahoma's prop. taxes are not all that cheap, Yes they are a bit higher in Texas, but income taxes are still a bigger burden than prop. taxes for most people. Another good point is in Texas you'd be spening less on heating bills, Texas has no food sales taxes, and vehicle regestrations are cheaper than in Oklahoma, don't forget all the nickle and dime taxes they add up too. If Mary Fallin can get rid of our income tax or put in a flat rate of 2.2% that would be a great improvement.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 10:49:50 am »

Oklahoma's prop. taxes are not all that cheap, Yes they are a bit higher in Texas, but income taxes are still a bigger burden than prop. taxes for most people. Another good point is in Texas you'd be spening less on heating bills, Texas has no food sales taxes, and vehicle regestrations are cheaper than in Oklahoma, don't forget all the nickle and dime taxes they add up too. If Mary Fallin can get rid of our income tax or put in a flat rate of 2.2% that would be a great improvement.

Then watch those property tax rates increase.  You can't get rid of a revenue maker in one place and not make it up somewhere else.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 11:30:06 am »

........ but income taxes are still a bigger burden than prop. taxes for most people.

This must just be your observation. It is not based on fact.

My property tax has tripled since I first bought my house in 1979. So has the value of my home. But my state income taxes have seen a very small increase in those years as my income did not triple and in fact, adjusted for inflation, is pretty much the same. That is reflected nationally as well. Middle class incomes are stagnated. Because I refinanced like many other people, my deductions for mortgage interest also rose dramatically in that period of rising interest rates, so my taxes at the state level have been pretty low. I also had three children to deduct. So your argument is just not true. Oklahoma is cheap to live in, and its education and infrastructure are evidence of that. Texas is the opposite.

Pity the poor retiree whose income has declined, whose investments were stolen or have soured, and whose deductions have dwindled but whose property taxes continue to rise even when the value of their homes has flattened out. They pay a much larger proportion of real estate tax than income tax.

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:37 pm »

I wish Oklahoma would just get rid of the state income tax and be like Texas.

Broke? A couple of years ago a story was making the rounds highlighting Texas as being oh so great compared to commie California because they weren't having any budget shortfalls due to the economic downturn. Unfortunately, what most people failed to understand is that they weren't having any arguments over the budget in Texas because they do two year appropriations down there. Sure enough, next cycle came around and they found themselves billions of dollars short. Sadly, no crow was served or eaten.

We let our media, no matter its political leaning or lack thereof, get away with an astonishing amount of BS peddling. Nobody forces most of them to take ownership of what they've written and answer for that which turned out to be plainly wrong. A few journalists and bloggers do it on their own, but it's atypical. Between that and poor coverage due to staffing cuts, the Legislature can get away with just about anything and we just hear about the stupid after the fact.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org