A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:18:50 pm
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260570 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #525 on: March 23, 2022, 08:41:47 pm »

Just felt the need for some mid-course correction.  Time for George Carlin!  Shame he is dead - I can only imagine what he would have to say the last few years....

I remember George Carlin.  Very funny but the language was a bit rough.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #526 on: March 23, 2022, 11:37:45 pm »

Just felt the need for some mid-course correction.  Time for George Carlin!  Shame he is dead - I can only imagine what he would have to say the last few years....

Oh, yeah...for those who don't remember or have not experienced his work, there are very rough edges here!  Snowflakes stay away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt9vt-LeqnQ

Carlin slammed both Democrats and Republicans, he was a Libertarian, and like him, I'm skeptical of everybody D or R, even when I was a Republican. I started listen to Carlin's records after I saw him in his first HBO special in 1974 or 1975. I was able to see him here in Phoenix in 2008 before he passed away. One topic he discussed was kids dying from Autoerotic Asphyxia.

NSFW Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7H8S4ReRPA
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:47:17 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #527 on: March 24, 2022, 05:36:40 am »

Carlin's version of the Aristocrats joke was pretty killer. Also extremely NSFW. Then again everyone's version of the Aristocrats joke is NSFW since that's the point of the joke. No matter where your "line" is - it crosses it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #528 on: March 24, 2022, 12:21:31 pm »

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #529 on: March 24, 2022, 01:11:09 pm »

Yep.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #530 on: March 25, 2022, 10:42:25 pm »

Not a bit rough.... very rough!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #531 on: March 26, 2022, 09:01:32 pm »

Not a bit rough.... very rough!

Well, OK.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #532 on: March 30, 2022, 08:21:48 pm »

Well, OK.

But appropriate.   Doesn't bother me at all.  Use all of it and more, regularly!  (I have a night course for sailors to teach them...!)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #533 on: March 31, 2022, 10:10:48 am »

Maybe track abortion-seekers with tag readers?  Its a race to the bottom.

How One Oklahoma Bill Could Track People Seeking Abortions

The Oklahoma legislature is currently gearing up to consider a whole batch of anti-abortion bills, including one that would ban abortion after 30 days and another that would essentially track people in the state who consider getting an abortion. This surveillance attempt — Senate Bill 1167, introduced by Oklahoma state senator George Burns (R-Pollard) and called the Every Mother Matters Act — would reportedly create a government-run database that would track pregnant people looking into abortion.

According to the seven-page bill, EMMA would require pregnant people to call a hotline to receive counseling from a “pre-abortion resource.” This “resource” would not be able to provide any information on abortion or refer the pregnant person to any abortion resources. However, they would be able to provide a pregnant person to a “pre-abortion resource access assistance offer.” Per Senator Burns’s official press release on the bill, this assistance offer would include “an assessment of eligibility and offer assistance in obtaining support services, other than abortion, for her or the unborn child’s biological father.”

One thing Burns does not address in his press release, however, is the surveillance aspect of the bill. According to HuffPost, under EMMA, every person calling the hotline would be given an identification number, which would then have to be checked by any abortion-care provider. Though the number would, supposedly, not be linked to any other identifiable information in the database, the bill still requires that documentation detailing the receipt of access assistance be in a patient’s file before the procedure. So, in a person’s file — which would, one assumes, include their name and other personal information — would be documentation that identifies them via their EMMA number. The bill further requires that this documentation remain on file for seven years, thus potentially creating a database of women who receive legal abortion care.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/02/how-one-oklahoma-bill-could-track-people-seeking-abortions.html

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:15:33 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #534 on: March 31, 2022, 11:30:03 am »

But appropriate.   Doesn't bother me at all.  Use all of it and more, regularly!  (I have a night course for sailors to teach them...!)

I spent 4 years on active duty in the US Navy.  I have known some civilians that would make my Navy friends sound like Mr. Rogers in the Neighborhood.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #535 on: March 31, 2022, 08:04:57 pm »

I spent 4 years on active duty in the US Navy.  I have known some civilians that would make my Navy friends sound like Mr. Rogers in the Neighborhood.

That would be me.  I would be one of those people.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #536 on: April 01, 2022, 12:04:07 am »

That would be me.  I would be one of those people.

Whatever.... I have not found being a potty mouth to be an effective method of communication in the business world or among real friends.

But, if it works for you, OK.

Edit:
There are a LOT more words "socially acceptable" now than when you and I were kids.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:21:31 am by Red Arrow » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2022, 11:10:22 am »

Whatever.... I have not found being a potty mouth to be an effective method of communication in the business world or among real friends.

But, if it works for you, OK.

Edit:
There are a LOT more words "socially acceptable" now than when you and I were kids.

I keep it clean around most.  Only real friends get to hear the real me, and I get to hear them.  And the vast majority is for the vehicles when working on them....

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #538 on: April 05, 2022, 05:04:09 pm »

Oklahoma Lawmakers Approve Near-Total Ban on Abortion

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/us/oklahoma-abortion-ban.html

Bills could doom future state question efforts

A package of bills moving through the Legislature could block all but the most well-funded groups from getting a question on the ballot through Oklahoma’s initiative and referendum process, experts and advocates are warning.

Perhaps the most far-reaching is House Joint Resolution 1002. It would require citizen-led groups to collect a set number of signatures from each of the state’s 77 counties before they could get a state question on the ballot.

It specifically would require enough signatures of registered voters to equal 8% or 15% of votes cast in the most recent gubernatorial election — depending on whether it’s a statutory or constitutional change — in every county.

Currently, signature gathers need to meet that 8% or 15% target statewide.

That means even if signature collectors gathered thousands of verified signatures beyond the current requirement, their effort would be doomed if they fell short in any one county.

The Legislature’s interest in these proposals follows passage of several high-profile state questions opposed by the governor and many in the GOP-dominated Legislature.

“Many of these counties don’t have a convention center you can line up outside of or these big events where you can get signatures,” he said. “So what they are trying to do is just make it more costly and make it, I would argue, impossible to get the signatures you need.”

Kelly Hall, executive director of the Fairness Project, a progressive organization that has helped pass ballot measures in a number of states, including Oklahoma’s Medicaid expansion measure, said she is hopeful that voters would want to protect their voice. But their passage poses a real threat, she said.

“I think one of the ways our rights get taken away from us inch by inch is because they are wrapped up in jargon, hard to understand processes and a slow attrition of our rights,” Hall said.

“My concern is that with all the things voters are focused on — the economy, health care, wages — that Oklahoma voters may not be aware of the implications of what a slow attrition of their rights means.”

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/oklahoma-watch-bills-could-doom-future-state-question-efforts-experts-say/article_5d553bd2-b451-11ec-8947-6be6671238c7.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #539 on: April 13, 2022, 11:07:46 am »

“These kinds of bills … tend to narrow and clamp down on the facts,” Rep. Regina Goodwin, D-Tulsa said. “Every year we come into this body and we narrow access to video cams, dash cams, body cams. It seems — no, it never works in the favor of the general public.”

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/house-sends-governor-bill-seeking-to-limit-public-access-to-images-of-dead-law-officers/article_f745ccde-b9bf-11ec-a9ff-5be706adb517.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 12:18:16 am by patric » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org