A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:28:26 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: America's Most Beautiful City 2.0  (Read 30287 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »

That looks like the route I took once driving to Boston. I came out of the tunnel at night and had a pancakes? moment.

Apparently I should pay more attention to the interim map points when I drive.

I'm surprised you went through there enroute to Boston. Most east-west traffic avoids the city by using either I80 or I70.

There was a night time view of the same entrance on youtube, but with a hand held camera it's just not as good.  One of the networks featured it using broadcast quality, and it was spectacular.  It was for Monday Night Football, if I remember right.  The camera panned to the left of the bridge to show Heinz Field across the river.

Also, that sharp right bend on the end of the bridge was the site of numerous crashes.  It probably still is.  There used to be a curb on the inside of the bend.  My cousin hit it, flatted both right side tires, and rolled his car.  He was OK, but the car was totaled.  The curb has since been removed.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »

Speaking of billboards... I didn't they they were allowed to animate them.
There's one on northbound 75 around S 85th St (west side) that is definitely full-on motion / video
It also seems to be a bit smaller than all the other digital boards..     They find a loophole in the restriction?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 11:13:38 pm »

Speaking of billboards... I didn't they they were allowed to animate them.
There's one on northbound 75 around S 85th St (west side) that is definitely full-on motion / video
It also seems to be a bit smaller than all the other digital boards..     They find a loophole in the restriction?

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13198.msg232493#msg232493

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:52 am »

Citizens and even private entities are not allowed to "fix up" ODOT property. You are free to pay ODOT to do it however.

When I lived in St. Louis, there was a group that used to dress like Ninjas at night and do things like plant whole gardens on medians or mow and weed public property.  I remember one morning driving down Delmar by an abandon house that was an eyesore to see all of the trash in front of the home gone, and the garden completely in bloom. They even painted the front of the house. The cops never caught them to my knowledge.  That was about 12 years ago, not sure if they are still doing it.

Perhaps we need such a covert urban task force?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:23 am »

It's called "Guerilla Gardening": changing public spaces with or without permission.

www.guerrillagardening.org/
rdj
City Father

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:15 am »

Downtown Tulsa needs to Pimp It's Pavement.  Lord knows we have plenty of it down there.  http://www.pimpyourpavement.com/

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:46 am »

When I lived in St. Louis, there was a group that used to dress like Ninjas at night and do things like plant whole gardens on medians or mow and weed public property.  I remember one morning driving down Delmar by an abandon house that was an eyesore to see all of the trash in front of the home gone, and the garden completely in bloom. They even painted the front of the house. The cops never caught them to my knowledge.  That was about 12 years ago, not sure if they are still doing it.

Perhaps we need such a covert urban task force?

Non-violent civil disobedience?    Warm up the APC, boys, they're fixin' to occupy...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:37 am »

Downtown Tulsa needs to Pimp It's Pavement.  Lord knows we have plenty of it down there.  http://www.pimpyourpavement.com/

I love that.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 02:26:10 pm »

Tulsa always had a nice skyline.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:15 am »

http://www.newson6.com/story/22027280/downtown-tulsa-digs-flowers-competition

NewsOn6.com - email

The Tulsa Downtown Coordinating Council is hosting a competition called Downtown Tulsa Digs Flowers.
TULSA, Oklahoma -
Downtown Tulsa will be blooming this summer, even more than usual. The Tulsa Downtown Coordinating Council is hosting a competition called Downtown Tulsa Digs Flowers.

The idea is for property and business owners to create living displays of flowers and plants to beautify the city.

The seven districts that make up downtown will compete for a traveling trophy.

Downtown green thumbs have until May 15 to register, and the winner will be announced in early August.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »

http://www.newson6.com/story/22027280/downtown-tulsa-digs-flowers-competition

NewsOn6.com - email

The Tulsa Downtown Coordinating Council is hosting a competition called Downtown Tulsa Digs Flowers.
TULSA, Oklahoma -
Downtown Tulsa will be blooming this summer, even more than usual. The Tulsa Downtown Coordinating Council is hosting a competition called Downtown Tulsa Digs Flowers.

The idea is for property and business owners to create living displays of flowers and plants to beautify the city.

The seven districts that make up downtown will compete for a traveling trophy.

Downtown green thumbs have until May 15 to register, and the winner will be announced in early August.

Just added flowers, (and a flowering tree) out in front of my shop.  GO! DECO DISTRICT!  Grin

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 02:11:06 pm »

Lets install these on Boston

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 02:22:21 pm »

Lets install these on Boston

Snow Emergency Route signs?

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »

Gold Domes
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

I would love that row of buildings up and down Boston where the parking lots are.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org