A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:28:12 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rusty Crane  (Read 18099 times)
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« on: December 02, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

Date/Time:12/1/12 7pm
Quality of food(1-5): 2
Menu/food options(1-5):3
Quality of service(1-5):2
Atmosphere(1-5):3
Overall rating(1-5):2
Price(1-5):4
What makes this restaurant unique:confusing entries,too dark to read menu,WET tables that have been wiped from a small red bucket on floor,inattentive wait staff, out of stock menu items (the type of beer I ordered),very poor tasting dry pulled pork sandwich, fish tacos that look like Reasor's potato salad,shortage of bar ware (glasses).
Could not wait to get our check and leave. Sorry Rusty Crane...novelty of an old brick building does not make a restaurant...you need service & food.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:11 am »

I've had both good and bad experiences here. Not my favorite new place which sucks because I was really looking forward to it opening.
roscoe
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »

I loved the location I think they might need to expand the menu. hope they get the kinks worked out.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:55 am »

My husband did a solo acoustic show at The Rusty Crane last Friday night. It was packed until around 8 or so, but then became just really busy. We ate before he played and the food was really quite good. I had the veggie quesadillas and while usually one can eat a quesadilla with ones hands, these required a fork. DH had a enchilada type thing that was nearly as big as your head. He liked it. Drinks were good. Staff attentive. I'm looking forward to going back.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:38:00 am »

You should post where your husband is playing. I like his music and hired him to do our company Christmas party.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:29:36 am »

You should post where your husband is playing. I like his music and hired him to do our company Christmas party.

You can keep up with Randy on his Facebook page and listen to some of his music on ReverbNation. Thanks! And enjoy!!

https://www.facebook.com/brumleymusic?ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.reverbnation.com/randybrumley
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:05:39 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/food/downtown-s-rusty-crane-restaurant-has-closed/article_eed01974-5715-5e9a-8ee9-36c0c0c505b3.html

The owner of Rusty Crane, 109 N. Detroit Ave., said Wednesday that health concerns forced him to close the restaurant.

"I have developed a serious heart condition," Brennan said. "My capacity to commit to the business in the way it needs has been diminished, and I need to concentrate on getting as healthy as I can for my family."
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:02 pm »

Crap, I know Brennan, he's a really good guy. And not that old.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:57:39 pm »

My wife and I have been going to the Crane for the past 5 years.  We usually start out the First Friday Art Crawls there.  We saw Lee there Friday evening and we returned for brunch on Saturday.  Thanks to Lee and the Crane staff (many of whom are friends) who gave us a "Cheers" type place to hang out.  We'll have to find someplace else "to be", but it won't be the same as the Crane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ8wxCL0kQU&app=desktop
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:07:51 pm by Tulsa Zephyr » Logged

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »

Any number of things can happen to the heart.  I learned that right at a year ago just after my 51st birthday I had decreased heart output (measured as left ventricular ejection fraction or LVEF) with an LVEF of 35%. Normal is 50-70% depending on which cardiologist you talk to or which article you happen to be reading.  All we could trace it back to was a virus I had not long after my second finish in the Leadville Trail 100 mountain bike race in 2013.  Basically, I contracted viral myocarditis which lead to cardiomyopathy when I was at peak physical condition.  The damage happened far enough back meds can't fix it, only try to keep it from getting worse.  I have zero blockage issues...as in none which most of us associate with heart issues.

I felt completely fine when this was discovered, if just a bit out of shape from not training on the bike like I'd been used to in the past.  It was discovered when I had an esophageal spasm which closely mimicked the symptoms of a heart attack and they were doing tests to rule out a heart attack.  As a precautionary measure I had an ICD implant (basically a defibrillator) done back in October in Tulsa.  Guido had a similar or same device installed a few years back.

I don't know Lee and have no idea about the finances of the place but I'll take it on face value he's got a heart issue.  I can see where restaurant management might not be the best occupation if you are trying to manage stress in relation to a heart condition.

Here's the take-away for my friends here:  Heart screenings are very cheap these days, they are done as a public outreach at the major hospitals.  Take advantage of it and know your numbers!

Here's a couple of comments from the TW article, I can only assume a bitter former employee:

Demarco Dodson Nov 22, 2017 5:07pm
Heart problems??? No, he has no heart problems, he has money management problems. He chain locked the doors and didn’t bother to tell any of his employees. Maybe his “heart problems” are that he has no heart at all, leaving his employees in a lurch on thanksgiving. Shame on him! His employees showed up for work with the doors chain locked and a sign “closed for repairs”. He is a total jerk and liar.

Report  Add Reply
Demarco Dodson Nov 22, 2017 5:09pm
AND for the past few months payroll checks to management were bouncing. What a creep!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:33:36 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:33 pm »

Table Talk: Dos Bandidos to move into former Rusty Crane space

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/restaurants/table-talk-dos-bandidos-to-move-into-former-rusty-crane/article_4bc231e3-3405-5bbb-852d-8dd8df6ee32a.html

Dos Bandidos, a year-old restaurant in Bixby, will open a second location in the old Rusty Crane space at 109 N. Detroit Ave.

Rusty Crane had operated five years in the Tulsa Arts District before closing last November.

“We hope to be able to open by next month,” said Carlos Lopez, who owns Dos Bandidos with his brother, Luis.

“Luis will stay and run the Bixby restaurant, and I will run the downtown restaurant. We will add a couple of things, like a seared ahi tuna tostada, which I think will go well downtown, but the menus will be much the same.”

Two things diners won’t find at Dos Bandidos are ground beef and chimichangas.

Carlos Lopez, a native of Venezuela, said most of his recipes come from Mexican friends in southern California and Mexico.

“They don’t have those things at their homes, so we don’t, either,” Lopez said.

That doesn’t mean beef is a no-no. For example, the Tia Nenes spaghetti features a mound of shredded beef cooked in a spicy-hot sauce that sits next to fettuccine noodles covered in a roasted poblano and In March of last year, Dos Bandidos received a favorable review in the Tulsa World and later was named New Business of the Year by the Bixby Metro Chamber of Commerce.

The new restaurant will be located in a 90-year-old, two-story building that features repurposed materials from the building and items from the old Mayo Hotel before it was refurbished. It also has a great patio that overlooks ONEOK Field.

“We will change a few things but not a lot,” Lopez said. “The layout will stay pretty much the same. It’s a great building.”
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 05:19:20 pm »

Here's the take-away for my friends here:  Heart screenings are very cheap these days, they are done as a public outreach at the major hospitals.  Take advantage of it and know your numbers!

Great advice...I, like you always considered myself to be healthy, using stairs instead of elevators, exercising, eating right, etc. until I had my first Medicare Wellness exam 4 years ago.  My EKG looked a little hinky to my PCP and he sent me to a cardiologist who referred me to a thoracic surgeon for quadruple bypass surgery.  My ejection fraction was 46%.  I spent 4 days in the hospital and for the past 4 years I've been going to Hillcrest Fitness Center 3-4 times a week and getting regular checkups.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:26 am »

Great advice...I, like you always considered myself to be healthy, using stairs instead of elevators, exercising, eating right, etc. until I had my first Medicare Wellness exam 4 years ago.  My EKG looked a little hinky to my PCP and he sent me to a cardiologist who referred me to a thoracic surgeon for quadruple bypass surgery.  My ejection fraction was 46%.  I spent 4 days in the hospital and for the past 4 years I've been going to Hillcrest Fitness Center 3-4 times a week and getting regular checkups.

Stay with it man, glad they found that when they did!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org