A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:07:21 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Government Regulation and Jimmy John's  (Read 26281 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »

That doesn't mean I can't see what he is trying to say, over involvement by the government stiffles growth.

The flip side being that under involvement by the government also stifles growth. Without a referee, we're stuck with the 20 paces at dawn style of dispute resolution. That's all well and good, but killing the brain trust isn't the best way to move ourselves forward. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »

Moi??

I have started 4.  One failed spectacularly - and expensively.  One slowly ground to a halt due to economy and inadequate sales capability - my failures - made money - good margins, just not enough total.  Third - I am very cautiously optimistic - doing ok so far.  Fourth just getting started - need more manufacturing space - time will tell - prototypes excellent and doing well in field trials.

Bring in a trusted partner if your management skills leave something to be desired.  Many great partnerships have flourished when you have an idea person and someone else who believes in the idea and can sell it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:27 pm »

Bring in a trusted partner if your management skills leave something to be desired.  Many great partnerships have flourished when you have an idea person and someone else who believes in the idea and can sell it.

Ala Edison/JP Morgan.  Been watching that on History Channel this week.  Fascinating stuff.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »

Bring in a trusted partner if your management skills leave something to be desired.  Many great partnerships have flourished when you have an idea person and someone else who believes in the idea and can sell it.

Apple Computer.  Microsoft.  These are my goals/aspirations.

Have one I have been trying to get - he moved to Texas about 5 years ago.  Wants to come back.  Will be getting together as soon as money allows.  And one thing I won't repeat is #1.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »

Ala Edison/JP Morgan.  Been watching that on History Channel this week.  Fascinating stuff.

Looks very good.  Out of town too much lately...may have to try to catch up online if they will let me.

Those guys were hard core.  If Carnegie didn't like 'em, he beat them to a pulp. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 10:55:43 pm »

Looks very good.  Out of town too much lately...may have to try to catch up online if they will let me.

Those guys were hard core.  If Carnegie didn't like 'em, he beat them to a pulp. 

It wasn't necessarily Carnegie.  Frick was the taskmaster.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:38 pm »

Well, now, smile.  How did I miss this series?  Sounds like a must watch.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »

Can't remember - maybe it was JP.  One of those guys was a brawler when he was younger....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 09:13:06 pm »

Can't remember - maybe it was JP.  One of those guys was a brawler when he was younger....

JP was pretty much a daddy's boy up until he met Edison.  I could see Carnegie being that way as a Scot.

davideinstein
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:24 am »

Wasn't there a thread once where it was pondered why so many people look but few comment?  WoW, I mean you can disagree with someone's opinion but if I was the JJ guy, I'd be done posting my opinions as well.  Maybe he doesn't have time to sit down and compose a well thought out dissertation on his frustrations with over involvement by the government, maybe he's too busy trying to find ways to grow his organization to go pull statutes and laws to quote.  That doesn't mean I can't see what he is trying to say, over involvement by the government stiffles growth.

You called the spade on time. I check on mobile and wish I had the time to sit down and elaborate on the many government frustrations I have. I don't, however, think I should limit my opinions. I have been on here for years and I am a huge advocate for many things we all want done in Tulsa (business development, public transit, etc).
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »

I could see Carnegie being that way as a Scot.

Stereotyping much lately?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »

Stereotyping much lately?

Ah yes. Humorless chimes in.

BTW I'm a direct descendant of William Wallace.

Jumping to conclusions much lately?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »

Maybe so. Roaches are one of the things that give me an instant guttural reaction of disgust. Even though that incident was at least a year ago, I can still picture that gross thing rooting around for food. I swear that it looked at me from across the room and mocked me.

Those type of roaches I've seen walking down the street. Could've had nothing to do with the store.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:35 am »

I'll give ya two regulations right off that I am working on with my gift shop downtown.  1.  I am told I have to have two water fountains, a "high-low".  Water cooler or bottled water won't work.  Thats over a thousand dollars out of my pocket to have it bought and installed.  Could have cost much more but I found a place to put it where it wouldn't cost too much but could still be public and ADA accessible.  Basically, when you walk into the store, the first thing you see, isn't something wonderful and fancy but... an ugly water fountain lol.  Oh, well.  2.  Have to have a mop sink.  Never mind that I don't have a mop, still have to have the mop sink.  It can't be one of the ones on legs but has to be on/in the ground.  So bring out the jackhammers and tearing out sheetrock etc. to lay the water pipes, venting, etc. Could be another $1,500 or so  Am working on this second issue right now trying to get it taken care of so that I can open the gift shop in time for the other Deco District shops grand openings.  May have to cut off the second bathroom and turn it into a "mop closet".  Anyway, these and others have cost a pretty dime for me trying to start and open a small business.  Just those two things with labor and parts and permits and inspections could cost around $3,000 (not to mention all the time it's taken me to mess with these issues).  That's $3000 I now don't have to purchase products to sell in order to make money (which is the point of the exercise lol).  What's frustrating too is that I hear from many of the contractors over and over the refrain "We don't have to mess with this or that in Bixby or Jenks", etc.  Tulsa has adopted these added rules which make it more expensive, for the little guy especially, to start a new business.     

Thank you very much!!   Specifics!!!

I had to do the mop closet shuffle, but managed to dodge the drinking fountain fiasco on the commercial kitchen I put together.  Many pains in the butt to be encountered in these endeavors.

Wonder what the rationale is for drinking fountains in a gift shop?  Adjacent to the bathroom??

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2012, 04:24:08 pm »

I'm curious on this too. I'm guessing this is more than a gift shop?  Huh
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org