A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:00:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Orchard / Pearl District Corridor  (Read 47269 times)
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:53 pm »

Not sure exactly where to post this, but is anyone aware of what is going into the building on the southwest corner of 3rd and Utica?  I drove by it yesterday evening and it appeared that the tan metal building was really spiffed up with brick and maybe columns.  I know the brick building has been in that state for awhile (that streetview is from 2018).  Or maybe the dusky light of the evening was playing tricks with my eyes. 

It’s being renovated by an investor to be turned into 7 individual retail storefronts. Details here: https://tulsaok.tylertech.com/EnerGov4934/SelfService#/permit/f92a503f-34e0-4d75-aa31-85696b5dc4a6 (click “supporting docs” to see the site plan).

Pretty neat reuse of the structure!
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2020, 07:20:23 pm »

It’s being renovated by an investor to be turned into 7 individual retail storefronts. Details here: https://tulsaok.tylertech.com/EnerGov4934/SelfService#/permit/f92a503f-34e0-4d75-aa31-85696b5dc4a6 (click “supporting docs” to see the site plan).

Pretty neat reuse of the structure!

Ah, thanks!  I drove by again this afternoon and had enough light to snag a couple of pictures.  They have made the once ugly tan metal building look awesome!

This used to be the tan metal building.  The details even match the existing brick building.

Here's the existing brick building on the corner.  I am glad they are saving it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 11:50:38 am »

The “work” on this building has been going on for several years.  Obviously, little was happening most of the time.  Good to see the pace picking up and real progress being made.  3rd Street between downtown and Lewis has been quietly transforming over the past few years.  Still some empty/underutilized spaces, but there are fewer gaps all the time.  There is now a real connection of downtown to Kenndall-Whittier.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 01:45:20 pm »

The “work” on this building has been going on for several years.  Obviously, little was happening most of the time.  Good to see the pace picking up and real progress being made.  3rd Street between downtown and Lewis has been quietly transforming over the past few years.  Still some empty/underutilized spaces, but there are fewer gaps all the time.  There is now a real connection of downtown to Kenndall-Whittier.

True. Good timing though, pushing it forward now. 3 years ago, this area felt like it was so far from any improvements. Now it is just a few blocks from "Brewers Block" and the recently renovated strip-mall/building on Yorktown, Church Studio, the Swamp House and the mini old main street on Trenton, and all the large projects on Lewis close by. Then the newly paved street gives it a much better vibe. It feels like the area is starting to show signs of life.

The vicinity at 3rd and Utica is still very jarringly diladitated and will likely look like that for a long time (mostly because of the mod podge of ugly architecture, but also the bad infrastructure), but maybe this and the other nearby projects could help push some places to upgrade the exterior or sell for remodel.

Outside of road (which probably has plans to be repaired eventually), the big ugly shopping strips and metal/industrial buildings are the biggest issues there. The health department doesn't look great either. It is neat when a few buildings get renovated and it spurns a big of area pride and many more follow suit. Hoping that happens here!
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 02:42:25 pm »

True. Good timing though, pushing it forward now. 3 years ago, this area felt like it was so far from any improvements. Now it is just a few blocks from "Brewers Block" and the recently renovated strip-mall/building on Yorktown, Church Studio, the Swamp House and the mini old main street on Trenton, and all the large projects on Lewis close by. Then the newly paved street gives it a much better vibe. It feels like the area is starting to show signs of life.

The vicinity at 3rd and Utica is still very jarringly diladitated and will likely look like that for a long time (mostly because of the mod podge of ugly architecture, but also the bad infrastructure), but maybe this and the other nearby projects could help push some places to upgrade the exterior or sell for remodel.

Outside of road (which probably has plans to be repaired eventually), the big ugly shopping strips and metal/industrial buildings are the biggest issues there. The health department doesn't look great either. It is neat when a few buildings get renovated and it spurns a big of area pride and many more follow suit. Hoping that happens here!

The area of Utica from I244 to 6th is a mess.  You are right, given the mish mash of buildings and businesses in this stretch, it is going to take a while for redevelopment to take hold.  I suspect the much more promising buildings/opportunities on 3rd, 6th and 11th will continue to suck up the redevelopment energy and money.  Until most of those spaces are filled up, I doubt anyone will seriously tackle Utica.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2020, 11:52:32 am »

Ah, thanks!  I drove by again this afternoon and had enough light to snag a couple of pictures.  They have made the once ugly tan metal building look awesome!

This used to be the tan metal building.  The details even match the existing brick building.

Nicely done!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2020, 02:01:02 pm »

The area of Utica from I244 to 6th is a mess.  You are right, given the mish mash of buildings and businesses in this stretch, it is going to take a while for redevelopment to take hold.  I suspect the much more promising buildings/opportunities on 3rd, 6th and 11th will continue to suck up the redevelopment energy and money.  Until most of those spaces are filled up, I doubt anyone will seriously tackle Utica.

In the same way 15th and Lewis is lost to big corporate suburban-style sprawl development, Utica from I244 to 5th is lost to functional and necessary but ugly buildings. It's a unique stretch in that each building is decently maintained, but so much ugly "architecture" and an even worse mix. The newer style chains thrown in there somehow makes it all look even worse.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2020, 07:22:31 pm »

Mixed-use project planned for 10th & Peoria

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/million-class-a-office-retail-project-slated-for-pearl-district/article_a595d922-9dad-55a9-8f8c-9005f22fc493.html

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2020, 08:04:57 pm »

^ Those are nice looking buildings.  Will be a nice addition to the Pearl District.  I imagine they will have great views of downtown. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2020, 10:51:04 am »

^ Those are nice looking buildings.  Will be a nice addition to the Pearl District.  I imagine they will have great views of downtown. 

Absolutely, here is a rendering:

It looks like they intend to tear down the 1 story building at 8th & Peoria and this development will have two buildings at the corner of 10th & Peoria and 8th & Peoria.  The first phase is the building at 10th & Peoria.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2020, 12:45:35 pm »

Absolutely, here is a rendering:

It looks like they intend to tear down the 1 story building at 8th & Peoria and this development will have two buildings at the corner of 10th & Peoria and 8th & Peoria.  The first phase is the building at 10th & Peoria.

I've always thought it was a shame they cut off The Pearl from downtown with the IDL.  I've often wondered if its gentrification might have happened much sooner if it had still been connected.  At the time all that was on the drawing board, they were going to extend the IDL south to, I think, 31st street and bisect Maple Ridge.  I wonder if Maple Ridge would have fallen into disrepair with a freeway cutting through it.

Anyone else remember the original alignment that Betsy Horowitz led the charge against?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2020, 02:44:50 pm »

I've always thought it was a shame they cut off The Pearl from downtown with the IDL.  I've often wondered if its gentrification might have happened much sooner if it had still been connected.  At the time all that was on the drawing board, they were going to extend the IDL south to, I think, 31st street and bisect Maple Ridge.  I wonder if Maple Ridge would have fallen into disrepair with a freeway cutting through it.

Anyone else remember the original alignment that Betsy Horowitz led the charge against?

I believe you're right it would've went straight down the Midland Valley ROW and connected to Riverside near 31st. 

The Pearl will continue to slowly develop since it's in a good position between downtown, Cherry Street (and the rest of midtown) and TU.  What hurts it is having the highway between it and downtown and a general lack of quality housing (most of the existing houses are in serious disrepair).  It also has the industrial areas along the RR tracks that limit development.  The areas along 11th will likely see more redevelopment, for example, than areas closer to 3rd & Utica.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2020, 04:29:35 pm »

I believe you're right it would've went straight down the Midland Valley ROW and connected to Riverside near 31st. 

The Pearl will continue to slowly develop since it's in a good position between downtown, Cherry Street (and the rest of midtown) and TU.  What hurts it is having the highway between it and downtown and a general lack of quality housing (most of the existing houses are in serious disrepair).  It also has the industrial areas along the RR tracks that limit development.  The areas along 11th will likely see more redevelopment, for example, than areas closer to 3rd & Utica.

One can look at the K-W area to get a feel for how long it's going to take to ameliorate the crappy old house situation in The Pearl.  By my estimates, it's taken gentrification about 30 years to spread from Delaware to Lewis between roughly 3rd & 11th and there's still some run down houses and apartments in the area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2020, 09:50:53 am »

Awesome development. Hope it eventually happens considering the depression we are entering. Hard to get excited about the developments that once enamored me now that we are entering what could potentially years of economic hardship.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2020, 02:21:05 pm »

I discovered this new development located just east of downtown near 2nd and Utica.  It is being marketed as mixed use and office space.  It's a bit rusty, but I kinda like it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org