A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:53 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Orchard / Pearl District Corridor  (Read 47221 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2019, 11:21:38 am »

That theoretical you are mentioning is not possible because the city plans to condemn and use emminent domain against anyone who won’t sell at their insultingly low offers. Anyone who bought land around there to “develop” after the pond is built has certainly not read the city’s plans. There is no way to buy up properties around the pond footprint because the city plans to buy all of them and the Indian clinic owns the others. After this the coty willl have a virtual monopoly on developable land east of downtown.

But glad that someone is thinking of the poor multi-million-dollar developers! Poor guys will be pissed if this unconstitutional development is stopped! We need more people thinking of the billionaires and politicians. No one considers how their bottom dollar will be affected by all of these greedy middle class homeowners trying to remain in their homes rather than take $50k which won’t even cover the down payment on another equivalent house.

Been thinking of the 680 or so, Billionaires for years in this country on the Federal level - it's about time for that to 'trickle down' to the State and local levels! 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2019, 08:44:40 am »

Speaking of Forest Orchard / Pearl District Corridor

What is everyones thoughts pertaining to the "Meadow Gold District" moniker?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2019, 03:11:21 pm »

Blech!

But I haven't been a fan of several of the 'cutesy' names being slung around now anyway.  I bet it will go over well.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 02:54:20 pm »

I'm okay with it but would like to see the Meadow Gold sign building actually be a building.  It's strange having it just be a faux-building/pedestal.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to actually enclose it to create a retail space or visitor center, something..

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »

I don't think it's the best name. Was probably something that was quickly thrown out there and it works as a placeholder so to speak. But there are some issues with it and if we are going to really begin pushing and promoting the area might think it worth considering spiffing up the brand so to speak.

I have heard quite a number of people make fun of Tulsa's many "districts", its like every spot has to be named a district.

Then for instance our new business will be on the north side of the street which means it is officially in the Pearl District. And there is a row of shops next to us that have a big sign "Pearl District Shops"

And, its not really a "district" per say, not officially in any capacity that I know of and when I think of a "district" I think of an actual, multi-block area of town.  This doesn't fit that.

There are other monikers that can be used other than one that contains District in it, "Whittier Square" "Brookside" "Cherry Street" etc.   Simply "Meadow Gold" could work.

But I do like the notion of it having some "place" descriptor added to it.

Again there is not an area that could have the borders of a district especially as what they are including is partly in the Pearl District.  As I understand it, It's more the shops and businesses etc. along 11th street from Peoria to perhaps Utica.

Meadow Gold Street....   doesn't work,  Meadow Gold Road.... nope. 

But I did some brainstorming and thought, how about "Meadow Gold Lane"?

Meadow Gold Lane on Route 66

Shops of Meadow Gold Lane
Galleries on Meadow Gold Lane

etc.

Still be partly in the Pearl District and not conflict or seem odd.

Seems sweet and nice.  Doesn't use the overused "district" moniker.  Seems to be more appropriately descriptive of the area. You can visualize Meadow Gold Lane and see that on a map better than a Meadow Gold District (and not get the Pearl District people up in arms about trying to overlap into their area).

Just my thoughts anyway.  Will see what others think of the idea but thought I would run it by you all. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 11:10:14 am »

I consider that part of the 11th Street Corridor to be the Pearl District, regardless of which side of the street a business is on. I too am not a huge fan of new micro "districts" with folksy names that arise just for the heck of it. I think its better branding for the Pearl District to be broader since it's a few square miles and has some consistencies (old buildings, distinct from Cherry Street, etc). A "micro" district, in my opinion, should apply only for very specific things, like a "brewery district" designation for 6th and Utica since they are concentrated there, and "Studio Row" for the small area around the Church Studio.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:12:24 am by DowntownDan » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2019, 11:40:42 am »

I consider that part of the 11th Street Corridor to be the Pearl District, regardless of which side of the street a business is on. I too am not a huge fan of new micro "districts" with folksy names that arise just for the heck of it. I think its better branding for the Pearl District to be broader since it's a few square miles and has some consistencies (old buildings, distinct from Cherry Street, etc). A "micro" district, in my opinion, should apply only for very specific things, like a "brewery district" designation for 6th and Utica since they are concentrated there, and "Studio Row" for the small area around the Church Studio.

I agree.  When someone says "Pearl District" I instantly visualize the strip of shops along 6th street near Peoria, and then secondarily acknowledge that it includes those things near that intersection.  I am sure as the area redevelops, infills and if its able to create a unique and somewhat unified feel/look, that visual will only expand and solidify.  

I do find for my purposes marketing wise that it would be helpful to have a readily identifiable, visible something to point to the specific strip where we will be located.  If you mention Meadow Gold sign people immediately know where that is.  

Route 66 tourism is also a big part of the market we are working to tap.  Those tourists (and the tour guides who set where the busses stop, and they will only make a few stops in our area) are a big part of our customer base.  So I really want to make our few blocks one of those "must stop here" places.

Saying, visit the Pearl District isn't as sellable and precise to me as saying something like See Buck Atoms, DECOPOLIS, The TulsaRama and Tulsa Art Deco Museum, the historic Meadow Gold sign and more!  "Meadow Gold Lane on Tulsa's Route 66"!  Or "Meadow Gold Lane in the Pearl District.   But you can't really say visit the Meadow Gold District in the Pearl District.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2020, 11:08:53 am »

I agree.  When someone says "Pearl District" I instantly visualize the strip of shops along 6th street near Peoria, and then secondarily acknowledge that it includes those things near that intersection.  I am sure as the area redevelops, infills and if its able to create a unique and somewhat unified feel/look, that visual will only expand and solidify.  

I do find for my purposes marketing wise that it would be helpful to have a readily identifiable, visible something to point to the specific strip where we will be located.  If you mention Meadow Gold sign people immediately know where that is.  

Route 66 tourism is also a big part of the market we are working to tap.  Those tourists (and the tour guides who set where the busses stop, and they will only make a few stops in our area) are a big part of our customer base.  So I really want to make our few blocks one of those "must stop here" places.

Saying, visit the Pearl District isn't as sellable and precise to me as saying something like See Buck Atoms, DECOPOLIS, The TulsaRama and Tulsa Art Deco Museum, the historic Meadow Gold sign and more!  "Meadow Gold Lane on Tulsa's Route 66"!  Or "Meadow Gold Lane in the Pearl District.   But you can't really say visit the Meadow Gold District in the Pearl District.

Looks like it's officially announced now. Sounds really neat!

Decopolis expanding to Route 66 location

Decopolis, the downtown emporium dedicated to Tulsa’s art deco history, will open a new location along Tulsa’s Route 66 in mid-2020.

William Franklin, who founded Decopolis eight years ago, said the new location at 1401 E. 11th St. is scheduled to open some time in mid-2020. It will house two venues, Decopolis Curiosities and Wonders, and the Tulsarama.

“We will be keeping the downtown location open as well,” Franklin said. “We’ve had a long-range plan that included additional locations. With all the buzz and activity happening around Route 66, we decided that would be the perfect place to expand.

“A good portion of the people who come to our downtown store are tourists who are wanting to see and learn more about art deco in Tulsa,” he said. “Our new location is just across the street from Buck Atom’s Cosmic Curios, and a block or two from the big Meadow Gold sign. We think all these attractions will make this part of town a real tourist destination.”

The Meadow Gold sign has been a landmark along Tulsa’s section of Route 66 for decades, and earlier this year Buck Atom’s owner Mary Beth Babcock installed the 21-foot-tall embodiment of her shop’s name — a “space cowboy” cradling a small rocket in his hands — as a roadside attraction.

Franklin said the new venue will take the basic ideas of the existing Decopolis and “take them up a notch.”

“I’ve created themed environments for years, and we’re planning to have that be a part of the new location,” said Franklin, an artist whose most visible works are the recreations of Mayfest posters that he would paint on the exterior wall of the Hyatt Regency hotel downtown. “Everything will have a very different look and feel.”

According to the Decopolis website, the new Decopolis will contain the “Discovitorium,” that will allow visitors “to explore realms where Science and Magic meet,” while the “TulsaRama” will have an art deco-inspired town square and will offer a wide range of Tulsa and art deco-related merchandise.

In addition to its downtown location at 502 S. Boston Ave., Decopolis also has a “Tulsa Art Deco Museum” display in the Philcade building downtown, 501 S. Boston Ave., and the “Mesmer Island” outpost in the Mother Road Market, 1124 S. Lewis Ave.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/decopolis-expanding-to-route-location/article_1d5fd719-2d7b-57d7-b670-1244a026b3e5.html
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2020, 12:55:59 pm »

For the old shop at 11th and Peoria owned by City of Tulsa, there was an RFP issued for the site:

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/11761/rfp-1303-e-11th.pdf

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2020, 01:34:58 pm »

For the old shop at 11th and Peoria owned by City of Tulsa, there was an RFP issued for the site:

If they keep structure close to as-is as possible, would make perfect pop-up shop court. The garages can each have a different store. Would be neat to have a small food place in one kiosk with covered seating area there. The parking lot could use a big make over.

That's a potentially great corner with all of this new stuff going and proximity/view of downtown.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:22 pm »

More on our new projects here!

https://decopolis.net/pages/decopolis-66-tulsarama

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2020, 08:29:13 am »

Very cool! I saw work going on in this building and was curious what was going in.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2020, 11:40:06 am »

Wow! That looks like you're packing a lot into that building and making it a very efficient use of space. I'm excited to see it. That looks very imaginative and creative. That should be a big destination for kids and families wanting a unique Tulsa experience.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2020, 02:42:25 pm »

Less than a year ago, this property was for sale by the private owner.  Why does the city now own it?  Did the city acquire the entire property as part of its installation of the Aero bus stop on the property?  Why is the city acquiring property like this when it only need the small strip along Peoria for the bus stop (which was probably within the city’s easement)?
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2020, 07:39:05 pm »

Not sure exactly where to post this, but is anyone aware of what is going into the building on the southwest corner of 3rd and Utica?  I drove by it yesterday evening and it appeared that the tan metal building was really spiffed up with brick and maybe columns.  I know the brick building has been in that state for awhile (that streetview is from 2018).  Or maybe the dusky light of the evening was playing tricks with my eyes. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org