A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:19:45 am
Poll
Question: Will you open carry?  (Voting closed: October 31, 2012, 07:41:15 am)
Yes - 2 (9.5%)
No - 12 (57.1%)
Don't have a permit - 6 (28.6%)
Plan on getting a permit and yes - 1 (4.8%)
Plan on getting a permit and no - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Open Carry begins Nov. 1st  (Read 31420 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: October 21, 2012, 07:41:15 am »

Since open carry for the Oklahoma SDA (Self Defense Act) goes into effect on Nov 1, and I know we have several on here (myself included) who are SDA license holders, I thought I'd pose this question.  Even if you aren't a permit holder, please answer "Don't have a permit".  If you plan on getting a permit, I have two options for you there as well.

My answer is NO.  Only thing the law will do for me will be that if my weapon is somehow exposed, I won't be cited for it on Nov 1.

I'd like to hear any of your reasons why you will or won't.

Thanks.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:40:22 am »

I'll let someone else be the "first target" in a bad scenario.  Prefer to "lurk in the weeds" and keep it a surprise if needed.

Let the wild west begin!!    (Satire people...!!)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:00:34 am »

Serious question:

Openly carrying a firearm in a holster wasn't specifically against the law until it was "legalized" was it?

So what we see as the giving of a new privilege, is actually a taking...   
More like a back-door gun registration?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:19:24 am »

Serious question:

Openly carrying a firearm in a holster wasn't specifically against the law until it was "legalized" was it?

Not really.  You can get an SDA permit without owning a firearm.  You also don't have to provide your gun serial numbers when you obtain a SDA license.  No gun registration in Oklahoma that I'm aware of, although if you buy a firearm through a reputable vendor, then there is record of the sale.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:03 am »

Not really.  You can get an SDA permit without owning a firearm.  You also don't have to provide your gun serial numbers when you obtain a SDA license.  No gun registration in Oklahoma that I'm aware of, although if you buy a firearm through a reputable vendor, then there is record of the sale.

How does SDA differ from Concealed or Open carry?
Maybe I was mislead, but I understood your CC permit had to specifically list any firearm you intend to carry under it.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

How does SDA differ from Concealed or Open carry?
Maybe I was mislead, but I understood your CC permit had to specifically list any firearm you intend to carry under it.

SDA=Concealed Carry.  SDA stands for Oklahoma Self Defense Act, the law you must be familiar with in order to obtain your license.  If you have a Concealed Carry license now you can open carry beginning Nov 1.

And the only firearm it lists on it is type.

Three types are offered.  Semi-automatic, revolver and derringer.  If you request a semi-automatic type license you are covered for all three types.  If you request a revolver, you cannot carry a semi, just a revolver or a derringer.  Derringer, just the derringer is allowed.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:57 am »

I'll let someone else be the "first target" in a bad scenario.  Prefer to "lurk in the weeds" and keep it a surprise if needed.

Let the wild west begin!!    (Satire people...!!)

I used that phrase in my SDA class back in July and my instructor wasn't amused.   Shocked

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:29 am »

Can't wait. Now I'll Be able to join the TNF lunches... Wink
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:22:37 am »

I used that phrase in my SDA class back in July and my instructor wasn't amused.   Shocked

Mine was an OKC lawyer whose last comment to us was, "go forth and kill carefully..."

I hope to never again be in a position where I am driven to use deadly force.  Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.  Won't stop me, but makes my stomach churn....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »

My answer is NO.  Only thing the law will do for me will be that if my weapon is somehow exposed, I won't be cited for it on Nov 1.

Thanks.

Buzz.  Wrong.
Completely concealed or completely open.  Those are your two options with the permit.
Half-assed concealed = breaking the law
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

Buzz.  Wrong.
Completely concealed or completely open.  Those are your two options with the permit.
Half-assed concealed = breaking the law

Uh, wrong again.  If somehow my concealed status is breached by a shirt-tail riding up, I won't be breaking the law.  Not quite sure where you get that from.  Because as of right now, my new CCL says 'Oklahoma Handgun License'.

Doesn't say a damned thing about Concealed, Open or a hybrid of the two.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2     DEFINITIONS
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of
another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or
in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger;
2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder
holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for
carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

3. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected
to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation
pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols

Somehow to me 'wholly or partially concealed' equals 'half assed concealed'.

This is why I wish people would read the statute instead of guessing.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:35:57 pm by Hoss » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »

3. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected
to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.

The definition seems to include Tasers, C02 BB guns, and repro guns used for stage or film.  Maybe overly-broad.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »

This is why I wish people would read the statute instead of guessing.   Roll Eyes

Once in a while ya gotta love the Oklahoma legislature - NOT very often, but just once in a great while, they get dangerously close to doing something correctly.  This may be one of those things...will have to see.

That's very close to one of my rants about people not knowing history, and then just mouthing the words they hear from a talk radio entity.  It is stunning how easy it is to find overwhelming information about practically everything - yeah, a lot of it bogus, but easy to find that out, too, most of the time.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »

Serious question:

Actually, openly carrying a firearm was only allowed under specific circumstances before (outside of the law enforcement community). Essentially, if you were going to the range or class or something similar you could carry it visible, albeit unloaded. 

I have had to let my licence lapse this last week because I it was either that or bills, guess which won.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:06 pm »

Actually, openly carrying a firearm was only allowed under specific circumstances before (outside of the law enforcement community). Essentially, if you were going to the range or class or something similar you could carry it visible, albeit unloaded. 

I have had to let my licence lapse this last week because I it was either that or bills, guess which won.

Still doesn't keep you from carrying legally open or concealed as long as you are on your own property.  Step outside of that, then yes, you cannot.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org