A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:24:44 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State questions, November 6th, 2012  (Read 20140 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59:45 pm »

I already voted, so this info comes too late. 

Judges - goes to my basic philosophy of voting against incumbents every chance I get.  I 'no' them well...

I've decided to vote by finding which governor appointed them.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 10:44:03 am »

OEA's take on 758 and 766:

SQs 758 & 766 Could Hurt Education

http://okea.org/about-oea/media-center/sqs-758-766-could-hurt-education

Voters will consider two state questions on the November ballot that, if passed, will be very damaging to public education, according to tax experts and the Oklahoma Policy Institute (OPI).

Passage of State Questions 758 and 766 could mean nearly $40 million in cuts to education funding, and local property taxes could increase. The Oklahoma Education Association Board of Directors has taken a position of “vote no” on both measures.

According to OPI, passing SQ 766 will reduce common school funding by $32.5 million. The measure will eliminate the collection of intangible personal property taxes for locally assessed and centrally assessed entities. Currently, only centrally assessed property taxes is being collected.

Centrally assessed property is that which crosses county lines like AT&T, Cox Communications, OG&E, and other utility type companies. Passage of SQ 766 will give tax breaks to these big corporations. Meanwhile, homeowners and farmers will pay higher property taxes as millage rates rise to meet bond obligations as a result of the valuation lost from the exemption gained by those large corporations.

Tax experts believe that if 766 passes, local governments will be forced to raise property taxes and local fees to compensate for the loss of revenue.

The Oklahoma Supreme Court has ruled that most intangible property is taxable, partly because intangible property makes up more than 40 percent of the value of big service and technology-oriented companies. As technology continues to advance, intangible property will comprise the majority of value, eventually making most of the assets for big technology and communication companies not taxable if SQ 766 passes. This will increase taxable items and property taxes for the average Oklahoman.

The Yes on 766 campaign is running ads that claim – incorrectly – “teaching certificates” and other such items will be taxed if the measure fails.

“Those claims are totally false,” said Linda Hampton, OEA president. “The legislature passed a trailer bill last May – SB 1436 – which will prevent the taxing of homeowners and farmers if SQ 766 fails.

“Passing this measure will benefit only large corporations. If SQ 766 is defeated everything will remain as it currently is.”

SQ 758 seeks to cap the growth of property values from 5 to 3 percent. The Oklahoma Tax Commission says passage of this measure will reduce the amount of growth revenue to schools by $6.5 million each year.

“Property values don’t automatically increase every year. I know my property taxes have not increased in recent years,” said Hampton. “Passing SQ 758 doesn’t mean we’ll all pay more taxes. It would deny schools growth money we need so badly.”

Even if SQ 758 were to pass, there is a scenario that would automatically increase property taxes. If a school district is at its bonded indebted maximum, and it relies on growth money to pay off bonds, property taxes would be increased to cover the payment without voter approval.

While there is a fervor at the state capitol to cut taxes, it is often ignored that Oklahoma ranks fourth lowest in the nation in the amount of property taxes paid per person.

Hampton pointed out that Oklahoma schools have already been cut by $300 million over the last three years. During that same time, the state has added 22,000 new students and lost 1,500 teaching positions. Add in new unfunded or underfunded mandates of Common Core State Standards and a new teacher/principal evaluation system, and schools are struggling to make ends meet.

“We are still 49th in teacher pay and 47th in per pupil expenditure in the country, both rankings dead last in our region,” Hampton said. “Our schools simply cannot manage another multi-million dollar loss in revenue. We must vote no on SQ 758 and SQ 766.”
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 11:28:51 am »

I already voted, so this info comes too late. 

Judges - goes to my basic philosophy of voting against incumbents every chance I get.  I 'no' them well...

That's a brilliant idea.

Tell me, who chooses the replacements?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 11:58:02 am »

Tulsa's LWV guide to the ballot:

http://lwvtulsa.org/wp-content/uploads/LVW_2012-general-election-voters-guide06_FINAL_SC.pdf
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »

That's a brilliant idea.

Tell me, who chooses the replacements?

guido, correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding there is a judicial nominating committee that gives the governor a list to choose from.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:18 pm »

guido, correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding there is a judicial nominating committee that gives the governor a list to choose from.

Look at this link. My brain hurts tonight.

http://www.okbar.org/members/jnc/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 11:28:16 am »

Look at this link. My brain hurts tonight.

http://www.okbar.org/members/jnc/

I found this interesting....and mildly hilarious, given some of the local judges we have in Tulsa....the first two lines on that page.

The selection of qualified persons for appointment to the judiciary is of the utmost importance to the administration of justice in this state. Since the adoption of Article 7B to the Oklahoma Constitution in 1967 there has been significant improvement in the quality of the appointments to the bench.

Of course, that all depends on whether it is a "good ole boy" buddy event or not... like with last year's Mark Allen Eaton event and Tim Harris office.  The one where the guy plead guilty to assault with an assault rifle (SKS - baby AK-47), and the judge and Harris' office said, "No, we won't accept that now...come back in 10 years - then we will make a determination if you are guilty or not."

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »

Okla. affirmative action ban backers say it could survive court fight; precedent conflicting

http://okpolicy.org/in-the-know-fallin-delays-decision-on-health-exchange

Supporters of Oklahoma’s recently approved ban on affirmative action in state government say they are confident the voter-approved law would survive a legal challenge. But federal court precedent is conflicting. And if Oklahoma’s law change makes it to court, that could further raise the possibility that the U.S. Supreme Court would eventually get involved in the issue. This week, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against a similar voter-approved law in Michigan that bans the use of affirmative action in college admission.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org