A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:22:45 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Vault  (Read 22925 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:29 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: SE corner 6th & Boston
Date/Time of Visit: 10/4/12 7pm
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4.5
Quality of Service (1-5): 6
Atmosphere (1-5): 5
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$
What makes this restaurant unique: Very cool re-adaptation of one of Tulsa's mid-century modern treasures, creative cocktail menu, great location in the CBD and Deco District, and some unique menu items.

Tell us about your experience:

I took my wife and mother here for a nice mid week meal.  I'd heard good things about the menu and being a huge fan of MCM architecture I've been waiting for the opportunity to see the finished product.  After going I'm really thankful someone decided to put money into this space (former First National Bank) instead of leveling it for more surface parking.

At any rate, I called the day before for reservations but turns out we did not need them on a Thursday night.  I suspect on major event nights in downtown, it may get over-crowded.

Atmosphere is definitely something from Mad Men.  Very stylish and hip, and in the downstairs dining area, they left it very open and not crammed together.  They could have easily fit in five or six more four top tables, but chose not to and I commend them for that.  With the high ceiling and all the glass you'd think the acoustics would be really lousy (pet peeve of mine) but it's not bad since they did choose to use carpet.  As Artist has mentioned on another thread, a couple of strategically placed sound attenuation panels wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity.

Service was very attentive right from the start.  Cody, our waiter, was very well-versed in the menu items and cocktail menu.  We never waited for a water re-fill, and either he or a manager stopped regularly to make sure everything was alright.

We each decided to try something from their cocktail menu http://www.vaulttulsa.com/VaultCocktailMenu.pdf for starters.  My mother had a Manhattan (classic blend with a nice Vault spin) $8, Mrs. C had the Liquid Sunshine (house made lavender with lemoncello & seltzer) served in a very cool mid-century gold leaf design glass $7, and I had the Crooked Banker (flaming absinthe rinse, Maker's Mark, Punt e Mes, Cointreau) in a classic highball $11.  They definitely have done their homework on the cocktails as we all loved them.  I've read some complaints on line people think they are pricey.  I don't see that they are any more expensive than any other bar or restaurant in town.  $7 to $12 seems to be the norm for craft cocktails these days.  Most of theirs are $7 or $8.

The bar menu also boasts being the first in Oklahoma to offer locally produced wine on tap.  All their wine offerings are claimed as sustainable and organic.  

The food menu http://www.vaulttulsa.com/VaultMenu.pdf has somewhat limited choices (nine appetizers, four dinner salads, eight entrees), but all the choices looked wonderful.  A limited menu is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd far rather dine somewhere they specialize in a handful of things they are really good at rather than throwing out 60 items and seeing what sticks.  That also ensures better food freshness.  

We started with the bruscetta three ways: tomato & basil with feta & olives, crab & cream cheese w/ capers, and chef's choice which last night was prosciutto over some sort of light smear of either currant or berry jam and topped with a curl of cantaloupe.  They do each one on a large slice of Italian bread and slice each one into four portions so it's more than enough for a few people. ($14)

I chose the Marshall's pretzel sliders (three with Natural Farms beef: pineapple jalapeño, bacon bleu cheese with bbq sauce, and the third one more of a classic with cheese & sauce.  The bread is really amazing, it's not a classic German pretzel, but something really amazing.  They do have the pretzels on the appetizer menu. $12.

Mrs. C chose the pork bourguignon.  It's pork shoulder, carrot, and onion cooked in red wine served over rice.  The shoulder must have slow cooked all day, as it was tender and succulent like pork shoulder should be when it's cooked properly slow. $16.

Mom chose the eggplant moussaka.  It was simply an amazing blend of flavors.  Only complaint was it wasn't as warm as she would have liked, so she sent it back for a re-heat.  No problem. $14.

We split an upside down pinapple ginger upside down cake that was warm and moist and left us all glad we decided to split one.  It's rich. $6.

The tab came to $93 and change.  Not bad for three people with an appetizer, a cocktail each, three entrees, and dessert.  I'd said before on here I thought the menu seemed a bit spendy, but after going, I really felt like the value exceeded the price and we will return.  I'm anxious to try the pimiento mac & cheese.

I gave the food/menu 4.5 stars mostly due to mom's entree not being completely hot and I wouldn't mind seeing them develop a few more choices on the menu so there's certainly something for everyone if you go with a large group.  Also, though we are good with the portion sizes being to the modest side, people who are used to having a total pig out for $12 to $16 are going to be disappointed.  It's simply not that sort of place.  Anyone who has eaten at the Auld's other restaurant, Elote already knows you get quality over quantity.  This is all a part of a new concept and a team learning to work together.  I love the way they re-purposed the building and did not cram the lower dining area though they could have.  

Original woodwork and fixtures are retained throughout, even using the original desks customers used to complete their deposits and to write checks.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:51:08 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

Jamming in there....did you go down to empty Delks for an after after drinkie?

There must be something in our drinking water downtown to make believers out of the unaware.

I am looking forward to the healthy fare at Chimera when they open....I just wish it were closer to midtown or south Tulsa where the velocity is....their chances of survival would be much greater and our city needs a stable health conscious restaurant.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:31 am »

What is wrong with you teatownclown?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:22 am »

Don't you know?  He's a clown!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:13 am »

Jamming in there....did you go down to empty Delks for an after after drinkie?

There must be something in our drinking water downtown to make believers out of the unaware.

I am looking forward to the healthy fare at Chimera when they open....I just wish it were closer to midtown or south Tulsa where the velocity is....their chances of survival would be much greater and our city needs a stable health conscious restaurant.

Are you saying Elote and The Vault's menu selections are unhealthy?  They are committed to local, organic, sustainable, and moderate portions.

What is Chimera going to offer?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:12:11 am »

I'd congratulate him for getting his head back right but he seems to be having more of a problem these days.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:12:41 am »

Conan, the mac & cheese is good.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:27 am »

Are you saying Elote and The Vault's menu selections are unhealthy?  They are committed to local, organic, sustainable, and moderate portions.

What is Chimera going to offer?

Do your own research. And quit putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about their offerings. And Big Mike, you continue to personally attack me even when it comes to my market analysis.

I know what's wrong with you....eating issues are making you fat.

Towny, this is just a continuation of yesterdays vacuous thread on too many restaurants chasing too few dollars. you continue to miss the big stories in Teatown for this non sense. I see you still have your pom poms out...lol.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:19:53 am »

Do your own research. And quit putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about their offerings. And Big Mike, you continue to personally attack me even when it comes to my market analysis.

Towny, this is just a continuation of yesterdays vacuous thread on too many restaurants chasing too few dollars. you continue to miss the big stories in Teatown for this non sense. I see you still have your pom poms out...lol.

Sad you never have anything helpful to add.  You seem like you'd have the ability.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:40:13 am »

TTC-  we get it, you think there are too few customers and too many restaurants/bars downtown, believe someone (other than you, apparently) should build old folks housing in the east end, and believe, contrary to all your other political postings, that free market economics should rein in the IDL.  Fair enough, but turning every thread, including a restaurant review, into a stump for your doom and gloom has moved you from curmudgeonly to annoyingly pedantic.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:46:43 am »

Sad you never have anything helpful to add.  You seem like you'd have the ability.

you are dishonest....again, I have made plenty of suggestions for fair downtown development. This current discussion centers on supply and demand and the tragedy of over development.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:57 am »

you are dishonest....again, I have made plenty of suggestions for fair downtown development. This current discussion centers on supply and demand and the tragedy of over development.

doom and gloom has moved you from curmudgeonly to annoyingly pedantic.

Works for me.

So Teatownclown is just like Lois' meatloaf.  Teatown meatloaf.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:55:05 am by Townsend » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »

Weren't you the one challenging others to add something other than insults and put-downs?

You made it sound as if Chimera would have a healthier menu than what the Auld's offer.  My mistake if I did a mis-read on it.  However, instead of responding like a pompous donkey, you could at least tell us what/where/when Chimera is if you really want to add something to the discussion.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »

However, instead of responding like a pompous donkey, you could at least tell us what/where/when Chimera is if you really want to add something to the discussion.

He can't if he doesn't have the inside information he pretends to have in his posts.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 12:49:46 pm »

He can't if he doesn't have the inside information he pretends to have in his posts.

You are evil ... I think it's across from the Tavern. Do you know where that is?

Fat is a condition. It's no longer an insult. It's a tragedy and a cost to all of us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org