A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:13:37 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirectTV  (Read 25550 times)
erfalf
City Father

« on: September 28, 2012, 08:54:22 am »

I know DolfanBob sells them. But I need someone to sell me on DirectTV. I currently have cable (CableOne unfortunately, so imagine half as good as Cox). A DVR is my wife's best friend. And I just don't have the fortitude to drop it all together because I enjoy sporting events way too much. So I need a good sales pitch to get me to switch. Is it worth it?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:25:00 am »

I am happy. I love the NFL ticket (free for the whole year).

Bob got me everything I needed including four DVRs for less than we were paying Cox Cable.

Use me as a reference and I will vote for a few republicans come November.

Power is nothing till you use it.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:48 am »

I am happy. I love the NFL ticket (free for the whole year).

Bob got me everything I needed including four DVRs for less than we were paying Cox Cable.

Use me as a reference and I will vote for a few republicans come November.

I'm gonna hold you to it. Wink

One more thing. If I swith to Direct (which I am fairly certain I am going to do) I am thinking about switching internet as well. CableOne is $20 for 1.5 Mbps & $50 for 5 Mbps. Whereas AT&T is $19.95 for 3 Mbps & $24.95 for 6 Mbps. Anybody use AT&T? Good or bad?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:23:28 am »

I'm gonna hold you to it. Wink

One more thing. If I swith to Direct (which I am fairly certain I am going to do) I am thinking about switching internet as well. CableOne is $20 for 1.5 Mbps & $50 for 5 Mbps. Whereas AT&T is $19.95 for 3 Mbps & $24.95 for 6 Mbps. Anybody use AT&T? Good or bad?

AT&T is pretty good (according to a cousin..I don't have them for dsl anymore).  Better pricing anyway for for 5mbps.  I have Cox at that price and get 30mbps for that.  Do you know if AT&T did a Uverse rollout in B'Ville?  If so, you might be able to get up to 20mbps, but not sure what their prices are.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:13 am »

AT&T is pretty good (according to a cousin..I don't have them for dsl anymore).  Better pricing anyway for for 5mbps.  I have Cox at that price and get 30mbps for that.  Do you know if AT&T did a Uverse rollout in B'Ville?  If so, you might be able to get up to 20mbps, but not sure what their prices are.

Only thing available in B'Ville is Internet. It really sucks here. Cox is infinitely better cable provider than CableOne.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36:42 am »

Only thing available in B'Ville is Internet. It really sucks here. Cox is infinitely better cable provider than CableOne.

ATT would be a better deal IMO.

Sent from my GNex with fat fingers

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:41:07 am »

Whereas AT&T is $19.95 for 3 Mbps & $24.95 for 6 Mbps.

You won't see the full advertised speed thanks to overhead. (They advertise the rate the modem syncs at, not the rate you can actually transfer data at) That said, back when I had DSL from them, I almost always got the maximum speed the line was capable of. I've had a lot more variation in speed using Cox, but it's almost always faster than what at&t is willing to sell me.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:43:36 am »

You won't see the full advertised speed thanks to overhead. (They advertise the rate the modem syncs at, not the rate you can actually transfer data at) That said, back when I had DSL from them, I almost always got the maximum speed the line was capable of. I've had a lot more variation in speed using Cox, but it's almost always faster than what at&t is willing to sell me.

With Cox I average about 32 Mbps download speed ans about 5 up.  I have the whole home DVR.

Sent from my GNex with fat fingers

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:42 am »

With Cox I average about 32 Mbps download speed ans about 5 up.  I have the whole home DVR.

I suspect my speeds would be more consistent if I had a DOCSIS 3 modem. I usually don't see less than 20ish Mbps, so it's not really worth it to me to bother buying a new modem.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:00:42 pm »

Erfalf. PM me you're address and I will let you know what I can bundle with DirecTV for you.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:00 pm »

I know DolfanBob sells them. But I need someone to sell me on DirectTV. I currently have cable (CableOne unfortunately, so imagine half as good as Cox). A DVR is my wife's best friend. And I just don't have the fortitude to drop it all together because I enjoy sporting events way too much. So I need a good sales pitch to get me to switch. Is it worth it?

3 guys in office have/had AT&T Uverse.  All 3 complain a great deal and are in process of changing back to Cox.

There is a 'subset' of Direct in one of the places I stay quite a bit and it is kind of crappy.  I think more due to the way it is brought in - goes to an equipment room with rack equipment that converts and sends it out on cable.  Crashes a lot.  Several of the channels have to be "reset" regularly - power off the module with the crash and power it back on.  Also, all analog output to the cable 'cause the place is too cheap to get the digital equipment.  Good thing - it's free.

And when there is a hard rain - poof!  Gone for a while.  Luckily, I have a switch to switch to local over the air broadcast for those weather events.

Other than that, I actually like it pretty well.  If I were gonna pay for one, it would probably be Direct.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 01:12:48 pm »

Just to be truthful. I can't stand Cox Cable because I worked for Tulsa Cable for twelve years and I seen the demise of a once great Company that I loved working for. So my payback to the old TCI and now Cox for the last 21 years has been taking customers away from them. Yes I hold one helluva grudge.

I do have their internet at my home and that is all the dollars that they will ever get from me. And when my children finally let me have a empty nest and I no longer need it for their gaming, I will finally be free of them all together. Who would have ever thought the best thing Cable T.V. would have was internet.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

And when there is a hard rain - poof! 

What is hard rain?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »

The kind that stings when it hits you. Oh, maybe that's acid rain. I get confused.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »

What is hard rain?

The kind you don't want to go out in.  And snow blocks it, too, in some circumstances.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org