A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:41:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phil and Brent done?  (Read 72623 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2016, 11:35:45 am »

Why are you guys depending on local stations or XM?

Why not Pandora or Amazon Music?

Pandora is free with commercials or incredibly cheap commercial free.  You can program your own preferences on Pandora.

Amazon Music is included if you have a prime account.

Just bluetooth to your car from your phone.

Aside from Public Radio Tulsa, local stations have been crap for decades and XM is just too damned high.

My last figuring indicated the $10/month for Mostly Music XM in my car is cheaper than blowing up my cellular data, but things can change.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2016, 11:50:39 am »

My last figuring indicated the $10/month for Mostly Music XM in my car is cheaper than blowing up my cellular data, but things can change.

It's worth that for the sports package alone since I'm not in the market of the teams I'm a fan of, and there are areas here where I can get Sirius/XM and not get cell coverage.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:18 pm »

It's worth that for the sports package alone since I'm not in the market of the teams I'm a fan of, and there are areas here where I can get Sirius/XM and not get cell coverage.

I forgot...you're in a place where people make friends with rocks.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2016, 12:15:15 pm »

low data limits?  gross
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »

I forgot...you're in a place where people make friends with rocks.

Nah, they've  gotten past the Ernest T. Bass phase, but they do give me that odd look every now and then and say "You're not from these parts are ya."
rebound
City Father

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2016, 07:14:29 am »

Why are you guys depending on local stations or XM?

Why not Pandora or Amazon Music?

Pandora is free with commercials or incredibly cheap commercial free.  You can program your own preferences on Pandora.

Amazon Music is included if you have a prime account.

Just bluetooth to your car from your phone.

Aside from Public Radio Tulsa, local stations have been crap for decades and XM is just too damned high.

I do use Pandora, and pay for the commercial free option.  I use that mostly for when I run or work out.   My issue with Pandora is the (relatively) limited song list.   I've got a few channels created, and after a while I start getting repeats.  Also, The Pandora play list is generate via an algorithm, not a real person.   Which is great if you want a song list that is "just like this", but not if I want a Person (who is paid to do this sort of thing) to put together some tracks that I haven't heard yet.

I do hear good things about Spotify, but haven't used it yet. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:19 am »

I do use Pandora, and pay for the commercial free option.  I use that mostly for when I run or work out.   My issue with Pandora is the (relatively) limited song list.   I've got a few channels created, and after a while I start getting repeats.  Also, The Pandora play list is generate via an algorithm, not a real person.   Which is great if you want a song list that is "just like this", but not if I want a Person (who is paid to do this sort of thing) to put together some tracks that I haven't heard yet.

I gave up on local radio because nothing they played was anything new to me.  And Jeebus...I can't handle the teeny bop crap on the pop stations.

The jazz and classical stations on 89.5HD and 88.7HD are the only presets I have.

I agree there are repeats on Pandora so I have about 20 stations that I listen to...and I delete and build new ones as my tastes change.

Let me know what you think of Spotify.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2016, 01:49:04 pm »

I do use Pandora, and pay for the commercial free option.  I use that mostly for when I run or work out.   My issue with Pandora is the (relatively) limited song list.   I've got a few channels created, and after a while I start getting repeats.  Also, The Pandora play list is generate via an algorithm, not a real person.   Which is great if you want a song list that is "just like this", but not if I want a Person (who is paid to do this sort of thing) to put together some tracks that I haven't heard yet.

Try Google Play Music. Like you I was a Pandora subscriber, but their limited song selection drove me nuts so I started looking around. After trying several Spotify, Slacker, etc...I decided to go with Google Play Music. It works in much the same way Pandora does in that it lets you curate your own "stations" and has the benefit of not being limited to 6 skips per hour like Pandora is. Another feature it has that I love is that you can upload up to 20k songs of your own. I keep it in sync with my iTunes install on my home pc using their music manager app. The music manager app will sync any additions/deletions from iTunes and will also sync any playlists you have created in iTunes. I use my phone + bluetooth for everything, but my wife is still a big iPod user so it is nice to have everything sync so that no matter what vehicle we are in we can have our music/playlists as well as the "stations" I have curated over the last couple of years.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:29:07 pm by Ibanez » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2016, 05:19:58 pm »

Google Play is good for me too. For some reason Spotify tried to take over my Android phone and replace my wallpaper. Just seems irritating to me. But the Google Play waits for me to turn it on and makes suggestions based on my previous usage. I put some "Pool Party" music on through my Bluetooth speaker on my tour bus and it played seamlessly for two hours. I haven't had time to create some party collections but it looks pretty easy.

onward...through the fog
rebound
City Father

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2016, 05:44:13 pm »

Well, sounds like Google play is worth a listen.   I'll check it out and let you know.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »

Google Play is good for me too. For some reason Spotify tried to take over my Android phone and replace my wallpaper. Just seems irritating to me. But the Google Play waits for me to turn it on and makes suggestions based on my previous usage. I put some "Pool Party" music on through my Bluetooth speaker on my tour bus and it played seamlessly for two hours. I haven't had time to create some party collections but it looks pretty easy.

I had bad experiences with Spotify on my Android phone as well. Additionally I never liked the way Spotify would go "wonky" after playing for a while. For example, I was once listening to a Spotify generated playlist that was supposed to be based on music by MC5. It did a great job for a while, a bit over an hour if I remember correctly, when totally unrelated music started creeping in. First it was Madonna, odd but I skipped past that and it went back to music it should have been playing. A bit later a Buck Owens song came on, odd but since I like Buck I went ahead and listened to it. Then it was back to music that made sense in the playlist for several songs, until it then tried to play Janet Jackson, KC & The Sunshine Band, Madonna again, then three songs in a row by Information Society. Who knew Information Society even had 3 songs in total? Frustrated I switched to a different playlist. This is just one example, but I found that Spotify would go crazy after a while and start playing totally unrelated music.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2016, 09:28:34 pm »

My wife and I spent an extended holiday weekend in New Mexico.  On the way home, we finally realized we hadn’t even played the radio after we left the Cimarron area until we got to Guymon.  We ended up turning it down again until the OKC stations were in range.  What was out there was pretty crappy.

Today’s music seems to lack a certain creativity or level of interest to me.  We both used to be country fans but I can’t stand the crap coming out of Nashville today.  All the pop music seems centered around female vocalists who sound like they have sucked down helium.

And like you, I’m beyond tired of hearing Sweet Home Alabama, Stairway To Heaven, etc. ad nauseum.

Probably just a sign of old fartism advancing.  Grin

Sucks big time!

No one ever plays Iggy Pop anymore.  Or Lou Reed.  Joe Satriani.  Any of the Blind Willie's...Johnson, McTell, etc (waiting for Breadburner Beavis comment...).  Savoy Brown.  Son House.  Or even Johnny Winter. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2016, 10:24:26 pm »

Sucks big time!

No one ever plays Iggy Pop anymore.  Or Lou Reed.  Joe Satriani.  Any of the Blind Willie's...Johnson, McTell, etc (waiting for Breadburner Beavis comment...).  Savoy Brown.  Son House.  Or even Johnny Winter. 

"And I know one thing, nobody can sing
Them blues like blind Willie McTell" - The Band (RIP Levon Helm)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »

"And I know one thing, nobody can sing
Them blues like blind Willie McTell" - The Band (RIP Levon Helm)

Statesboro Blues.  Might sound familiar to a truly discerning musical ear.  (Hint: think Allman Brothers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnWxZtI3ONY&list=RDfnWxZtI3ONY#

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2016, 11:08:31 pm »

And in the same vein....something I am sure most here have heard.  Just not the 1933 version.  Leadbelly did a version in the 40's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:12:13 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org