A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:02:37 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phil and Brent done?  (Read 72271 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »

I loved that station. They, too, unceremoniously dumped their on-air talent, Kevan Seal. I remember the day I was scanning through the dial and heard Echo and the Bunnymen. I about flipped. Now if I want to hear the real music of my youth, I listen to XM First Wave.

I'm surprised more people don't just load their own stations on Pandora.

New vehicles are coming out with Pandora and Stitcher apps already loaded on a touch screen.

I just play it from my phone.  Much more pleasant than local offerings.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 12:54:44 pm »

I loved that station. They, too, unceremoniously dumped their on-air talent, Kevan Seal. I remember the day I was scanning through the dial and heard Echo and the Bunnymen. I about flipped. Now if I want to hear the real music of my youth, I listen to XM First Wave.

First Wave is currently my fav station/channel.
I haven't had to listen to insipid "Tulsa" (clear-channel) radio for 8 months now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my freebie XM subscription ends.   Sad
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 06:24:43 am »

I'm surprised more people don't just load their own stations on Pandora.

New vehicles are coming out with Pandora and Stitcher apps already loaded on a touch screen.

I just play it from my phone.  Much more pleasant than local offerings.

I play Pandora and I Heart Music on my phone during the day at work...even with the occasional commercials, it's much better than over-the-air.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 06:26:17 am »

First Wave is currently my fav station/channel.
I haven't had to listen to insipid "Tulsa" (clear-channel) radio for 8 months now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my freebie XM subscription ends.   Sad

I didn't think I would subscribe after the free trial either...but I got hooked. Now we have it both cars and even in the house!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:12 am »

A little preview this morning played on KMOD:

Talking about mice up the butt.  That might be funny to 14 year olds won't play with KMOD's traditional demo.

Where's the fork?  Clear Channel is throwing in the towel on the KMOD format.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 08:42:18 am »

A little preview this morning played on KMOD:

Talking about mice up the butt.  That might be funny to 14 year olds won't play with KMOD's traditional demo.

Where's the fork?  Clear Channel is throwing in the towel on the KMOD format.

KMOD is dead. That vapid morning show yesterday morning and some lame syndicated show last night from LA. They should change the call letters.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:17 am »

KMOD is dead. That vapid morning show yesterday morning and some lame syndicated show last night from LA. They should change the call letters.

Why?...it's pretty fitting currently.

K-Mode

Kamode.

Yep, close enough.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 09:05:56 am »

When I worked in advertising in the early '90's, I got to know Carl Lund, (IIRC Blake's dad and Jeff's cousin) he had been around Tulsa broadcast and print media for some time.  He said he was at KMOD when it first went on the air in '73 or '74.  (I want to say it was '74 as KMOD did a promotion the summer I graduated from high school with an upside-down logo and the catch phrase "Turning Tulsa Radio Upside-Down For 10 Years").  He said first order of business was to hit up every head shop in Tulsa and then any other bar business or place someone would go for munchies in the middle of the night and get them to buy as many 30 second spots as they could for $10 a spot.  If you saw a car with a KMOD rainbow sticker or passed by a house with one of the stickers on a bedroom window, it was a better than safe bet that at least one occupant was a stoner.

That was a great format which worked for many years.  I confess to not being much of a listener as I've gotten older, I don't really relate to Nickleback, Seether, or whomever the other popular acts are.  On the flip side, how many times can you listen to Baba O'Reilly, Cashmere, or Smoke On The Water, or Crazy Train before you realize they have been beaten way far into the ground.

I guess I need to get with Pandora or XM, terrestrial pretty much sucks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 10:55:24 am »

I guess I need to get with Pandora or XM, terrestrial pretty much sucks.

Load Pandora on your phone, start an account, type in a favorite artist as a new station and listen.  That's all there is to it.

Start a new station the same way with another favorite artist.

You'll hear all new music from good artists in the same style as your favorites.  If you don't like a song that pops up you can "thumbs down" it and you won't hear it again.  You can also skip a song if you're not in the mood to hear it.  You can "thumbs up" a song if you want to hear it more and other songs like it.   That's how you design your own station.  Free for some commercials or a small annual fee for commercial free and unlimited skips.

It's addictive.  I've got a Charlie Christian station and a Louis Armstrong station that are my go-to's.

XM is ok but since it was taken over by Sirius, there's been mistakes made.  Also their billing department can't be trusted.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 11:00:43 am »

Load Pandora on your phone, start an account, type in a favorite artist as a new station and listen.  That's all there is to it.

Start a new station the same way with another favorite artist.

You'll hear all new music from good artists in the same style as your favorites.  If you don't like a song that pops up you can "thumbs down" it and you won't hear it again.  You can also skip a song if you're not in the mood to hear it.  You can "thumbs up" a song if you want to hear it more and other songs like it.   That's how you design your own station.  Free for some commercials or a small annual fee for commercial free and unlimited skips.

It's addictive.  I've got a Charlie Christian station and a Louis Armstrong station that are my go-to's.

XM is ok but since it was taken over by Sirius, there's been mistakes made.  Also their billing department can't be trusted.

Actually, I've had Pandora for a couple of years, I just never think to use it, instead relying on my own music library when I'm working out.  I really never listen to music at work or at home unless I'm on the bike trainer.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 11:14:26 am »

I really never listen to music at work or at home unless I'm on the bike trainer.

Aside from children's music, it really does make a day better.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 11:33:26 am »

If you saw a car with a KMOD rainbow sticker or passed by a house with one of the stickers on a bedroom window, it was a better than safe bet that at least one occupant was a stoner.
That was a great format which worked for many years.  I confess to not being much of a listener as I've gotten older, I don't really relate to Nickleback, Seether, or whomever the other popular acts are.  On the flip side, how many times can you listen to Baba O'Reilly, Cashmere, or Smoke On The Water, or Crazy Train before you realize they have been beaten way far into the ground.

They had some innovative clear rainbow decals that were reverse-printed so you could stick them to the inside of a window.  Saw too many examples of people who couldn't figure out that last detail.

KMOD's "Active Rock" format is just modern rock broken up occasionally with some classic rock, which banks on the premise that someone button-punching in their car will stop for Pink Floyd or The Who and then stick around to hear some LMFAO or Five Finger Death Punch.

It's "The Station You Grew Out Of"  fer sure, but where do they go now, back to their Album-Oriented Rock (AOR) roots with the deep "FM Voice"?
This market is already drowning in Country, Gospel and wingnut Talk... maybe Polka or Bigfoot Sightings?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »

They had some innovative clear rainbow decals that were reverse-printed so you could stick them to the inside of a window.  Saw too many examples of people who couldn't figure out that last detail.

KMOD's "Active Rock" format is just modern rock broken up occasionally with some classic rock, which banks on the premise that someone button-punching in their car will stop for Pink Floyd or The Who and then stick around to hear some LMFAO or Five Finger Death Punch.

It's "The Station You Grew Out Of"  fer sure, but where do they go now, back to their Album-Oriented Rock (AOR) roots with the deep "FM Voice"?
This market is already drowning in Country, Gospel and wingnut Talk... maybe Polka or Bigfoot Sightings?

I dunno, but KMOD's gravy train just left the station for sure.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 02:02:07 pm »

My Boss said that Star 103 offered Phil and Brent the opportunity to go ahead and do a farewell blowout on their station if they were interested. I don't know if that is true or not. But my boss knows a lot of Radio people around town with all the advertising he has done.
That would be a great fit if they went over to 103.3

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »

My Boss said that Star 103 offered Phil and Brent the opportunity to go ahead and do a farewell blowout on their station if they were interested. I don't know if that is true or not. But my boss knows a lot of Radio people around town with all the advertising he has done.
That would be a great fit if they went over to 103.3

103 did.  They posted the invite on FB.  I don't know if the offer was taken.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org