A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:58:39 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phil and Brent done?  (Read 72296 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: September 27, 2012, 10:52:39 am »

KMOD Tulsa's 27-Year Morning Hosts 'Fading Into The Sunset'

http://www.newson6.com/story/19656222/27-year-kmod-morning-host-says

If Twitter accounts are true, Tulsa morning radio is going to see a major change for the first time in almost three decades.
KMOD hosts Phil Stone and Brent Douglas, who created the lovable but cranky character Roy D. Mercer, have announced their reign will come to an end next month.

"Thanks for the almost 27 years you folks have let us have fun and get paid for it. Don't know what's next but I'll bet it won't compare…. Out next week, then it's a weeklong blowout after over a 1/4 of a century. Few media people get the chance to say bye, so thanks KMOD." Douglas tweeted on Thursday morning.

Douglas further clarified by saying the duo was "fading into the sunset," but offered no additional details.

It's unclear if Roy D. Mercer, the fictional prankster voiced by Douglas, will also retire from the Tulsa airwaves. Since 1993, Roy D. Mercer has helped Green Country laugh while sitting in traffic and gain good-natured revenge over friends and co-workers.

Several Roy D. Mercer albums have been released on major record labels, and Douglas tweeted that a new one will be available in November.

Unless it's the ultimate gag, Phil and Brent will air their last show on Oct. 12.

News On 6 placed a call seeking comment and confirmation from KMOD Program Director Don Christi, and we'll update this story when we hear back.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:19 am »

They were still on the air? What is a "KMOD"?
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:57:04 pm »

They both have had numerous offers to go to a bigger market on both coasts and have always turned the offers down because Brent's family is here and Phil's is in Arkansas.
I don't think it's a money or opportunity issue. May be just good ol burn out.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »

I can remember being in South Carolina a few years back and hearing them on someone's radio.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Iconic-radio-duo-in-Tulsa-leaving-KMOD/qjZnj2JpbEy59xtKmrCHpw.cspx

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »

I was at a Tennessee truck stop in the mid 90s and saw a display with Roy D Mercer CDs for sale. I thought man they have hit the big time now.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »

I'll bet it was a Clear Channel corporate motivated announcement.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »

I really could never stand either one of them. I listen to KMOD, but never in the mornings, for that reason.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

I'm sooprized they lasted this long. Gawd bless em. Nobody listens to regular radio anymore...just the idjits.

"Nobody left to run with anymore...no one left to do the crazy things we did before."ABB
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »

Statement from Clear Channel is saying they could not come to terms on a new contract.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »

Statement from Clear Channel is saying they could not come to terms on a new contract.

Well, there goes their Arbitrons....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 04:44:40 pm »

I sat next to them on a flight from Kansas City to Tulsa years ago. Back when there were flights from KC to Tulsa. Nice guys.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »

I sat next to them on a flight from Kansas City to Tulsa years ago. Back when there were flights from KC to Tulsa. Nice guys.

Must have been Southwest.  I flew them to KC once.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »

I have an old Rainbow Station t- shirt (back when KMOD was that) I got at one of the station remotes when Phil was there a while before Brent.  IIRC, Kitty Roberts was Phil's co-host for a little while at that time...or she did the news in the morning??

Had to get an FM converter to feed the AM only radio in my Cutlass, just so I could listen to KMOD - seems like it was about 1972 or 1973 when I ran across them.  Friend had a built in FM radio (he was richer) and got me hooked on it.  Chris Vandyke was dj for several years around then, too.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:00:40 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

I have an old Rainbow Station t- shirt (back when KMOD was that) I got at one of the station remotes when Phil was there a while before Brent.  IIRC, Kitty Roberts was Phil's co-host for a little while at that time...or she did the news in the morning??

Jeanne Summers AKA Jeanne Tripplehorn was his co-host.  She started as the midnight DJ when she was a junior at Edison and left when she went to Julliard in NYC.  There's your KMOD history lesson for the day.

Curious if revenues are falling and CC just can't pay what they used to.  I noticed they are now using syndicated programming in the evening.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:51 pm »

Jeanne Summers AKA Jeanne Tripplehorn was his co-host.  She started as the midnight DJ when she was a junior at Edison and left when she went to Julliard in NYC.  There's your KMOD history lesson for the day.

Curious if revenues are falling and CC just can't pay what they used to.  I noticed they are now using syndicated programming in the evening.

That's right - I remember - thanks!  Kitty must have just been news, then.

Wonder what Jeanne is doing today?  Do you know her?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org