A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:57:43 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Dark  (Read 45649 times)
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:09 pm »

My SO's RAV4 came that way. The tint on the front windows is pretty light, but it's much darker on the back.
I've been wanting to get mine tinted. But it just seems like it would add to the list of stupid stuff the cops can pull you over and harass you for (like the license plate light or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign).

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:44 pm »

If they want to harass you, tint or no tint isn't going to make a difference except to their claimed reason for stopping you.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 12:10:10 pm »

My all time favorite is "Sir" you failed to turn on you're turn signal at that last light. May I see you're driver license please?
Knowing full well that I am habitchual turn signal'er......Is that a word?  Huh

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 06:46:02 pm »

So I asked is he talking about a officer sitting next to a car at a stop light and the car next to him has dark tint, does that mean he can flip on his lights and pull him over. And he said yes.

The state statute was essentially unenforceable (because enforcement was inconsistent, arbitrary and capricious) but they kept it on the books because it permits a primary enforcement stop in the absence of any other "specific and articulable facts."

Besides being a search (that you would have to consent to) the meter's manual instructs officers to clean the window they are testing because dirt and scratches lead to false readings.

They will play with their new toy until they anger someone with the means to defend themselves, scale back, and then just use the ordinance as a pretext.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »

or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign).

Is there any particular reason you cannot come to a complete stop, even for a second or two, at a stop sign?

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 01:10:00 pm »

Is there any particular reason you cannot come to a complete stop, even for a second or two, at a stop sign?

No one comes to a complete stop at a stop sign, not even cops, unless there's cross traffic already in the intersection.  They're defacto yield signs, and could easily be replaced with such. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 01:22:24 pm »

They're defacto yield signs, and could easily be replaced with such. 

Problem is that people often treat yield signs as "don't bother to slow down" signs.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 05:10:26 pm »

No one comes to a complete stop at a stop sign, not even cops, unless there's cross traffic already in the intersection.  They're defacto yield signs, and could easily be replaced with such. 

I know it's a risky maneuver but I do actually come to a complete stop at stop signs.  Most rolling stops are not really unsafe but I have zero sympathy for someone who gets nabbed for an incomplete stop.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:09 pm »

I know it's a risky maneuver but I do actually come to a complete stop at stop signs.  Most rolling stops are not really unsafe but I have zero sympathy for someone who gets nabbed for an incomplete stop.

As an exercise, come to a complete stop...on a bicycle.  Motorists routinely complain that bicyclists never stop for stop signs, yet when one does they'll complain because the cyclist can't accelerate away from the intersection fast enough.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »

Imho rear window tinting is none of their business.  I can put a piece of wood in instead of a window and be legal in the rwar... so who cares if it is dark tint?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 08:05:40 pm »

Seems that the question is “If when you are stopped and step out of the vehicle closing the door and stand with your back to the door does the officer have the authority to order you back into the vehicle”.  The officer has authority to make a visual search to see if there is anything that jeopardizes his welfare concealed in the car.  The covering of the windows in any form leaves on the table acreage’s of court decisions and case law.  The tint or covering restricts his ability to recognize passengers or drivers with outstanding warrants.     

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:49 am »

Seems that the question is “If when you are stopped and step out of the vehicle closing the door and stand with your back to the door does the officer have the authority to order you back into the vehicle”.  The officer has authority to make a visual search to see if there is anything that jeopardizes his welfare concealed in the car.  The covering of the windows in any form leaves on the table acreage’s of court decisions and case law.  The tint or covering restricts his ability to recognize passengers or drivers with outstanding warrants.     

How do the police handle cargo vans?  The ones I am thinking of are the ones with no windows aft of the front doors except the window on the back door(s).

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 10:29:15 am »

As an exercise, come to a complete stop...on a bicycle.  Motorists routinely complain that bicyclists never stop for stop signs, yet when one does they'll complain because the cyclist can't accelerate away from the intersection fast enough.

Actually, I haven't noticed the lack of acceleration to be a real issue.  Most bicyclists will be across the intersection by the time I pull up to the stopping position and actually stop.  Clip-in pedals might be an inconvenience for stopping but "you" need to master your equipment.

Not being able to get around a bicyclist is more of an issue to me but that has nothing to do with stop signs.  I am also concerned that a bicyclist will fall in my path and I may be unable to avoid hitting them.  I try to leave plenty of room but don't expect me to follow a bicycle at 15 mph for very long on much of anything but a residential street.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »

Radar officer gave a boy a ticket on a bike for speeding through the intersection at 4th place and Sheridan.    Shocked

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 08:07:04 pm »

Imho rear window tinting is none of their business.  I can put a piece of wood in instead of a window and be legal in the rwar... so who cares if it is dark tint?

Don't think they test back windows.  You are right...there is no need for a rear window, if you know how to drive properly.

The only testers I have seen slip over the glass, and measure it very close to the top of the window.  Do they have one with extension sensors??

BA cops are a very strange mix.  Last tickets I got (1984) were bogus; one for rolling through a stop sign.  Which I didn't.  The guy was sitting on a running motorcycle cop bike and wasn't even looking at me when I stopped.  So he saw me through the vibrating rear view mirror.  Had a witness, went to court and won.

Second was a "canned" speeding ticket - 64 in a 40 - scanned at 200 feet east of a stop sign where he admitted I did stop.  Can't get to 64 in 200 feet in any car I have ever owned.  The city attorney knew about this particular cop and actually helped me with the defense, 'cause he knew what the guy was up to - quota achievement.  Won this one, too. 

And then, had friend with burglary and the guys responding were the most professional officers I have encountered.  Quite the dichotomy...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org