A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:18:59 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Dark  (Read 45916 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:52 pm »

Can't get to 64 in 200 feet in any car I have ever owned. 

That's too bad.  (I haven't actually figured the numbers but everyone should have had a fast car at least once in their life by the time they get as old you and I.)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »

That's too bad.  (I haven't actually figured the numbers but everyone should have had a fast car at least once in their life by the time they get as old you and I.)

I agree...it's past time.  But the prices they want for 1968 Vettes are just crazy.  I got to drive one of those for a while in high school and that is really about the only one I am interested in.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 08:35:54 pm »

I agree...it's past time.  But the prices they want for 1968 Vettes are just crazy.  I got to drive one of those for a while in high school and that is really about the only one I am interested in.

I think some of the new hot cars are actually faster and probably better handling.  I ran the numbers.  Assuming constant acceleration (maybe possible with an electric or something like the BMW 3.0L twin turbocharged with nearly constant torque from about 1500 to 5000 RPM) it would be an 11 second car to 1/4 mile.  That's a bit faster than any of my cars but only by a few seconds.   Just enough to lose a pink slip.

This should get you all the acceleration and handling you want:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2013/M/M5Sedan/Features_and_Specs/M5SedanSpecifications.aspx

Or, if you want to stay domestic:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/05/22/2013-shelby-gt500-0-60-mph-in-3-5-sec-14-mile-in-11-6-sec-126-mph/

How could you not want one of these?
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-427-convertible-sports-car.html

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:08:32 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »

I want a Model S.  Grin (If only Obama would buy me one)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 09:12:31 pm »

I want a Model S.  Grin (If only Obama would buy me one)

Get him enough votes and maybe he will.  Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »

I agree...it's past time.  But the prices they want for 1968 Vettes are just crazy.  I got to drive one of those for a while in high school and that is really about the only one I am interested in.

Another thought...

My brother had a 1960 Triumph TR3A.  One of his friends had a 427 Vette, vintage late 60s.  My brother could beat the Vette across an intersection but then he was left in the dust.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 09:48:50 pm »

Last tickets I got (1984) were bogus; one for rolling through a stop sign.  Which I didn't.  The guy was sitting on a running motorcycle cop bike and wasn't even looking at me when I stopped.  So he saw me through the vibrating rear view mirror.  Had a witness, went to court and won.

Second was a "canned" speeding ticket - 64 in a 40 - scanned at 200 feet east of a stop sign where he admitted I did stop.  Can't get to 64 in 200 feet in any car I have ever owned.  The city attorney knew about this particular cop and actually helped me with the defense, 'cause he knew what the guy was up to - quota achievement.  Won this one, too.

Sometimes offering to be a witness isnt received well if the offer is overheard.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIseU1dMpRM[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 07:15:19 am »

Sometimes offering to be a witness isnt received well if the offer is overheard.

Witness was sitting with me.  Also, the city attorney helping me with the case didn't hurt.  He was a very good guy who went on to better things.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 07:17:24 am »

I think some of the new hot cars are actually faster and probably better handling.  I ran the numbers.  Assuming constant acceleration (maybe possible with an electric or something like the BMW 3.0L twin turbocharged with nearly constant torque from about 1500 to 5000 RPM) it would be an 11 second car to 1/4 mile.  That's a bit faster than any of my cars but only by a few seconds.   Just enough to lose a pink slip.

I'm with nathan on this one.  The model S is the one I would have to go with.  0 - 60 in 4.4 seconds is plenty good for me.  Will remind me of my Harley!!

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:32 pm »

And 300 miles on a charge..for only $100,000.  Shocked

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »

The one I would buy if I were rich like guido would be the S Signature Performance.  85kwh batteries.  Love the red paint!!  Leather interior.  And no, it isn't $100,000....it is $97,900!

Sweet!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 06:49:25 pm »

And no, it isn't $100,000....it is $97,900!

+tax and tag.   Cheesy

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:24 am »

The one I would buy if I were rich like guido would be the S Signature Performance.  85kwh batteries.  Love the red paint!!  Leather interior.  And no, it isn't $100,000....it is $97,900!

Sweet!

Tesla reports that out of the 2,200 roadsters sold, so far 5 have already suffered bricked batteries and the owners have been hit with the cost.  $40,000 to change the batteries.
http://theunderstatement.com/post/18030062041/its-a-brick-tesla-motors-devastating-design

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:27 am »

Tesla reports that out of the 2,200 roadsters sold, so far 5 have already suffered bricked batteries and the owners have been hit with the cost.  $40,000 to change the batteries.
http://theunderstatement.com/post/18030062041/its-a-brick-tesla-motors-devastating-design

A small price to pay to protect the environment.  (Roughly equivalent to 200,000 miles of $4/gal gas at 20 mpg)

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »

A small price to pay to protect the environment.  (Roughly equivalent to 200,000 miles of $4/gal gas at 20 mpg)

Does a Panamera get 20mpg? Besides, the point isn't that it saves the environment, it's that electric cars are better in every way but quick refueling. When battery technology finally catches up, they'll be just plain better. Telling that Gaspar would use something that has happened to 0.2% of owners of a different model car to try and spread FUD about a car none of us are actually going to buy because none of us can afford a GT supercar whether it runs on gas or batteries.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org