A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:21:09 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Lobby or How I Chose God Over Country  (Read 104737 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:45 pm »

She is the face of the tolerant left?

Of course not.

I am sure we can find many examples of extremists for every side of any political issue.

If you really believe they are representative of the left, you missed.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2014, 07:22:13 am »

I still think you need to get up to speed on what is "restraint" and "activism". Once you understand those terms, I think you should see why Plessy is the former and Brown is the latter. BTW, you do realize the two cases are connected, with Brown being a repudiation of what was at one point "settled" precedent (Plessy)?

Yes, I do realize that repudiation.  Plessey was also the "keep the status quo" that was the south.  It was extreme activism in the face of Federal Constitutional requirements of equal under the law - so it really wasn't restraint at all.  Another attempt by an activist, reactionary SC to rewrite the Constitution.  Brown wasn't - it was the turn around that put the country back in sync with the 1868 amendment.  It is tragically sad it took 80+ years to get there.

Oh, yeah...the guy that wrote the majority opinion - wasn't even a lawyer!  He was 'admitted' to the bar without full training - he took a couple courses.   Lots of credibility there for the SC!!  But he was an Alpha Delta Phi, so that probably makes up for it....  He was also a 'draft-dodger' during the Civil War!!   Are we starting to see a trend here?  And Republican, of course.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:25:04 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »

Power is nothing until you use it.

Or stick a knife in the wall outlet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2014, 06:30:23 pm »

Yes, I do realize that repudiation.  Plessey was also the "keep the status quo" that was the south.  Just move on from this. Please.

So you think judicial activism is following the status quo (Plessy). And so changing the status quo (Brown) is likewise judicial activism.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2014, 06:31:49 pm »

An absolute takedown of what happened in Hobby Lobby. Yes, it's faux news, but from the woman that took on Darth Cheeeeney.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4P3IkdA7Iw[/youtube]

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »

So you think judicial activism is following the status quo (Plessy). And so changing the status quo (Brown) is likewise judicial activism.

Trying to be obtuse, are we??  Well, Plessey was activism going against the actual meaning AND intent of the law - 14th Amendment - as defined by Congress and the super-majority of states in 1868.  It continued the 30 year process of societal activism that went against the law of the land at every turn - all the laws written by the southern states (and northern) that went directly against the law of the land - and got away with it.  It is analogous to what the Oklahoma legislature does at every turn, passing law after law that they know is against the law, and will be struck down.  The difference is that the SC went along with those states with their illegal laws in an extreme activist way.

Many think Brown was activist - I guess if you consider that it went against 80+ years of blatantly, obviously illegal actions by so many states, ok, it is activist.

But real activist is when the court defines artificial constructs as people.  Corporations are not people!  I suspect you don't really believe they are, either, based on your background (Catholic) and the intense indoctrination you received through childhood about the importance of the human being, the sanctity of life, and all that jazz....   Of course, you could have gone REALLY rogue and put all that aside....but I don't get that feeling about you at all.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:01 am »

Trying to be obtuse, are we??  Well, Plessey was activism going against the actual meaning AND intent of the law - 14th Amendment - as defined by Congress and the super-majority of states in 1868.  It continued the 30 year process of societal activism that went against the law of the land at every turn - all the laws written by the southern states (and northern) that went directly against the law of the land - and got away with it.  It is analogous to what the Oklahoma legislature does at every turn, passing law after law that they know is against the law, and will be struck down.  The difference is that the SC went along with those states with their illegal laws in an extreme activist way.

Many think Brown was activist - I guess if you consider that it went against 80+ years of blatantly, obviously illegal actions by so many states, ok, it is activist.

But real activist is when the court defines artificial constructs as people.  Corporations are not people!  I suspect you don't really believe they are, either, based on your background (Catholic) and the intense indoctrination you received through childhood about the importance of the human being, the sanctity of life, and all that jazz....   Of course, you could have gone REALLY rogue and put all that aside....but I don't get that feeling about you at all.

Um, I am not a cradle Catholic. Sorry. I am also moving on from this topic. You are talking out of your Obama again.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2014, 07:53:02 am »

Um, I am not a cradle Catholic. Sorry. I am also moving on from this topic. You are talking out of your Obama again.

Too bad....

Rational thought just doesn't compute with lawyerland thought??  Move on, huh?  Never would have expected that....

http://front.moveon.org/

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2014, 03:57:21 pm »

Now this is funny!  Here is the headline that the AP is running:
BREAKING: Senate Republicans block bill to restore free contraception under health care law.

Seems to lack a little detail and little liberal cream puff brains are exploding all over social media.

Contraception is a thing of the past!  Gone!  Babies everywhere! It's the end of freedom!

It goes well with Pelosi's statement last week:
“That court decision was a frightening one,” she said. “That five men should get down to the specifics of whether a woman should use a diaphragm and she should pay for it herself or her boss. It's not her boss's business."

First of all, Hobby Lobby's insurance covers use of the diaphragm.
Second, I agree, it's not a bosses business to pay for anyone's personal healthcare, dental care, vision care, shoes, or personal hygiene products.

This also plays well with Harry Reid's statement:
“The one thing we are going to do during this work period, sooner rather than later, is to ensure that women’s lives are not determine by virtue of five white men,” Reid said. “This Hobby Lobby decision is outrageous and we are going to do something about it. People are going to have to walk down here and vote.”

Not sure why the AP didn't just use the headline "GOP Votes to Block Out The Sun"

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2014, 07:29:17 am »

Now this is funny! 

Was it "lol" funny?  You like "lol" funny.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »

Whole bunch of stuff happening today re: Obamacare. Two federal circuits with conflicting rulings apparently. This gives me the chances to post the "Papal Facepalm", which I do not recall seeing before...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

Whole bunch of stuff happening today re: Obamacare. Two federal circuits with conflicting rulings apparently. This gives me the chances to post the "Papal Facepalm", which I do not recall seeing before...

Is that the right papal?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »

Is that the right papal?
The "Emeritus Papal Facepalm".  smh

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »

The "Emeritus Papal Facepalm".  smh

You're shaking it after you post a pic of someone stroking out?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »

Well smile.  I thought he said Paypal face palm!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org