A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:05:15 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lance Armstrong Stripped  (Read 24082 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:52 am »

Gonna bail on Lance?

Not a chance.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:34 am »

Not a chance.

I like Lance.  And doesn't really matter to me if he was doing the doping or not.  Since the losers WERE doing it, all it shows is that in a "level" field, he was still the best.  If he did not do the doping, then it just REALLY emphasizes how much massively mo' better he was than the rest of them.

And all this while fighting cancer in the middle of it all?  Geez, what a bunch of whiney, sniveling little brats the rest of them are....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 09:54:16 am »

I like Lance.  And doesn't really matter to me if he was doing the doping or not.  Since the losers WERE doing it, all it shows is that in a "level" field, he was still the best.  If he did not do the doping, then it just REALLY emphasizes how much massively mo' better he was than the rest of them.

And all this while fighting cancer in the middle of it all?  Geez, what a bunch of whiney, sniveling little brats the rest of them are....

That's the point.  If everyone in the peloton was doping back then, you still had to hop on that uncomfortable sliver of a saddle every day for 21 days (well about one recovery day per week) and be mentally and physically tougher than every other rider.  I know how much effort it takes to maintain over a 20 MPH average for 100 miles on a relatively flat course.  To ride a 120 mile mountain stage in convincing fashion at a 25 MPH average requires far more than EPO to outlast your peers.  It takes lots of guts, strength, and mostly heart.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

Amazing that he was able to fake negative tests for so many years. Gotta love witch hunts.

Thank you,
Robert Town
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 11:33:29 am »

Amazing that he was able to fake negative tests for so many years. Gotta love witch hunts.

Just shows even more how amazing he is!

I have ridden a couple of centuries and a near century and 1/2 (147 miles), and while I started out near 20 mph, by days end, I was probably closer to 8 mph.  It can be brutal.  All the guys doing that are amazing, but Lance stands out for sure.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
MrsConan
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:47 am »

Gonna bail on Lance?

Nope.  Still wearing mine.  Just thought maybe you might want to outwardly show your support.Wink
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 04:28:14 pm »

Nope.  Still wearing mine.  Just thought maybe you might want to outwardly show your support.Wink

Don't know enough about it.  Will have to study them some.

Have had less than satisfactory interactions with the American Cancer Society and the Pink Ribbon people, so am burnt out on cancer charities.  (Also Catholic Charities...)   So now, I just stick with the Salvation Army, since I don't really have time to invest in paying enough attention to feel comfortable with a new organization.  If/when life slows a little, I will revisit the topic.

I see they have phone support...will have to call and talk to them.  It is too late for several previous friends/family, but have a sister who currently may benefit from that since she is knee deep in the hoopla now.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:30:08 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 11:19:06 am »

Bad day for Lance.

He stepped down as chairman of Livestrong to help the foundation distance itself from his cycling issues.  Nike also announced they were severing ties after mounting evidence makes it more likely he did, in fact, dope.

http://news.yahoo.com/nike-severs-ties-armstrong-great-sadness-131417083--finance.html

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »

I'm just gonna say it... Bulls__t

There are two options
1. He is some sort of mad scientific genius who is able to go a decade, while recovering from cancer, juicing himself up in ways that cause him to be the fastest man alive yet remain completely undetectable and have no real witnesses.
2. The general public, and mainly his competitors, are simply incapable of believing he's that good.

I know jack on the subject but I'm sticking with #2 until they get a single witness who doesn't have an axe to grind. This guilty until proven innocent USADA thing is a joke. The whole organization should be shot since they seem to have stopped positively no-one.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 01:18:22 pm »

Sooner or later, Conan, we'll make a believer out of you....

Steroids....let's let freedom reign. If an athlete so chooses, let him. Same with every other drug. Too hard to police everyone and too many prisoners.

EDIT! and too much time and money wasted by the government chasing down these victim-less criminals.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:29:02 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 02:05:07 pm »

Steroids....let's let freedom reign. If an athlete so chooses, let him. Same with every other drug. Too hard to police everyone and too many prisoners.

EDIT! and too much time and money wasted by the government chasing down these victim-less criminals.

I agree 100%.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »

I agree 100%.

Agreed.  Otherwise they shouldn't be allowed to use corrective lenses.  Natural abilities only or let 'em juice.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »

Sooner or later, Conan, we'll make a believer out of you....

Why is it the government's responsibility anyways. If baseball/bicycling/football wants to impose rules, go for it. They are also the arbiter of those rules, not the government, so long as it's employees are not breaking federal laws, which I don't believe doping is illegal. Correct me if I am wrong.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »

Why is it the government's responsibility anyways. If baseball/bicycling/football wants to impose rules, go for it. They are also the arbiter of those rules, not the government, so long as it's employees are not breaking federal laws, which I don't believe doping is illegal. Correct me if I am wrong.

Congressional committees like to be on ESPN.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 02:33:11 pm »

Congressional committees like to be on ESPN.

Must be. It's completely ridiculous for them to inject themselves. And at that to inject themselves into the playing of games. Seriously.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org