A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:54:16 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lance Armstrong Stripped  (Read 23870 times)
erfalf
City Father

« on: August 24, 2012, 07:13:23 am »

Sad to here this finally come to pass. The guy was a hero for many people. Maybe his story was just too good to be true?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444358404577608112651269078.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:29 am »

Did he just give up fighting them? Or was it an un-winnable fight because they had the goods on him?

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:21 am »

Did he just give up fighting them? Or was it an un-winnable fight because they had the goods on him?

Probalby.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:10:48 am »

Probalby.

Wouldn't the UCI come to his defense if it was defensible? He's the biggest name in the sport still. Who can name a winner sine he won his last?

I remember thinking the same thing about Barry Bonds. If it were me and I were innocent, I would doing whatever I could to clear my name.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:00 am »

This whole thing is a can of worms.  One side says they have blood test evidence, the other says independent tests as well as official show nothing.  Without more information, I certainly can't figure it out.

It does seems very strange at that level of performance and athletic ability, one person could dominate one event so completely for so long without some "assistance".  But these guys are separated by fractional percentages in those abilities.  The first half dozen to cross the line are so close, it seems like if Lance is suspect, the rest of them should be too.  And iirc, there were at least one or two that were also "tagged" with this problem in recent years (I don't follow it that closely, other than to just acknowledge, "yeah, Lance won again...")

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:49 am »

This whole thing is a can of worms.  One side says they have blood test evidence, the other says independent tests as well as official show nothing.  Without more information, I certainly can't figure it out.

It does seems very strange at that level of performance and athletic ability, one person could dominate one event so completely for so long without some "assistance".  But these guys are separated by fractional percentages in those abilities.  The first half dozen to cross the line are so close, it seems like if Lance is suspect, the rest of them should be too.  And iirc, there were at least one or two that were also "tagged" with this problem in recent years (I don't follow it that closely, other than to just acknowledge, "yeah, Lance won again...")

“We are cheating and can’t catch him, therefore he must be cheating!!!"

As most of you know, I’m more than a casual observer to cycling so I’ve been following this for quite a while.  It doesn’t make me an expert on the case nor an insider, just saying I’ve got more than a casual interest since Lance has been and is an inspiration for many people not only in the cycling community but on many fronts.

They have no blood test evidence on Armstrong and never have.  According to statements by Lance, he passed over 500 tests in more than 20 years.  No one has ever produced positive test results to contradict this claim.  USADA came after him after a two year federal investigation determined there was insufficient evidence to push a criminal case against him.  All they have are previous teammates who may or may not have cut a deal for immunity by saying “Oh yeah, Lance doped like we all did!  I saw it in his refrigerator!”.  That was paraphrased from an interview with Tyler Hamilton they replayed this morning on CBS.  His body language and facial expressions all indicated he was lying (at least according to any 15 minute primer you can read about deception and how to tell when someone is bullshitting).

When a prosecutor says: “You could do prison time and pay hefty fines for your involvement.  Tell me now, who else did this on your team?  Did Lance?”

What will someone say?  “Send me to prison!!”

USADA came after him with nothing more than circumstantial and anecdotal evidence at best and supposed blood test data which had not been acted upon while he was competing again in 2009 and 2010.  If he tested positive in ’09 and ’10 while competing at the elite level again, why were there no sanctions brought against him at the time as they were against other cyclists like 2009 and 2010 TDF winner, Alberto Contador.  Contador was stripped of his 2010 title after a positive test for clenobuterol during the tour.  If Armstrong tested positive, why didn’t the world anti-doping authority do anything about it as they obviously did with others?

Additionally, Mrs. C was curious about what EPO does and looked up an article on it.  EPO increases the body’s output of red blood cells.  More oxygen to muscles increases performance.  However, it also makes blood thicker.  Elite athletes typically have very low resting heart rates.  Armstrong reputedly has a resting HR of around 32.  Do you really think he’d be willing to risk death for athletic glory?  Pro athletes have died as a result of EPO use.

This is not the only case of Travis Tygart and USADA going after athletes with little evidence.  Though not a federal agency, they are a quasi-governmental “non-profit” which receives a good amount of funding in grants from the feds to the tune of about $6.6 mil a year, the rest of the budget appears to come from the US Olympic Committee which I believe gets funds from the feds and other sources.

There is no innocent until proven guilty with Tygart and USADA, it’s guilty until proven innocent or until you simply say “F*ck it!” and give up.  It’s yet one more diseased tentacle in our mis-guided “war on drugs”.  We send otherwise good contributors to prison for relatively minor possession or use.  We spend billions incarcerating people who might otherwise be contributing to society with some rehabilitative help, and now it appears we are willing to spend millions to billions on ruining the lives and besmirching the careers of our sports heroes.

Why are Congress and the feds so enraptured with doping and steroid use amongst athletes?  Where in the Constitution does it say you cannot risk your personal health in achieving athletic excellence?  

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:02:46 am »

Imagine walking into a courtroom as the defendant in a lawsuit. The prosecuting attorney reads the charges against you citing nothing more than the testimony of anonymous witnesses as evidence. You object, claiming this is unjust! To your surprise the prosecutor walks to the judge's bench, puts on a judge's robe and denies your motion. The prosecutor, still wearing his judge's robe, then takes out his cell phone and calls three of his friends to serve on your "independent" jury.

This fictitious, but obviously unjust situation is incredibly similar to the case Lance Armstrong currently faces from the United States Anti-doping Agency and its CEO Travis T. Tygart.

A similar investigation led by the United States Department of Justice concluded in February, 2012. After almost two years of investigation, and millions of US tax dollars spent researching Armstrong's past, the USDOJ decided there wasn't enough evidence to continue the investigation. So is this just another branch of the Federal government wasting millions of more tax dollars on the same investigation?

No, despite the officially sounding name, it turns out the "United States Anti-doping Agency is not a part of the federal government. Although it receives almost 90 percent of its funding from the federal grants, the USADA is a government program masquerading as a non-profit organization. This non-profit status allows it to investigate and prosecute athletes without affording them the constitutional and due process protections required of other federal agencies. This status also allows it to prosecute athletes with a lower burden of proof than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard that would have been required in the previous investigation by the USDOJ. Finally, it allows a situation where the same man, Mr. Travis T. Tygart is allowed to serve as Prosecutor, Jury and Judge in the investigation of Lance Armstrong.

PROSECUTOR: Tygart initiated the charges.

On June 12, 2012, Travis Tygart and his staff at the USADA sent a letter to Armstrong accusing him of violating anti-doping rules. As evidence of this violation, Mr. Tygart and his staff were only able to cite previous drug tests that Armstrong had passed and the testimony of anonymous witnesses.

In the letter, Mr. Tygart informs Armstrong that he has 10 days to submit evidence to a Review Board that will determine if there is "sufficient evidence of doping" to continue with a full hearing. In his defense, Armstrong can only offer written materials to the Review Board. He will not even be allowed to know the names of the cyclists that have allegedly testified against him.

JURY: Tygart gets to hand pick the Review Board

The "Review Board" will decide whether charges should be brought against Armstrong from the USADA, and whether the case shall go to a full arbitration hearing. Who serves on this review Board? According to USADA protocol 11(b) The independent "review board" shall be appointed by the USADA's CEO. You read that correctly, Mr. Tygart is allowed to handpick the individuals that serve as the "Jury", and decide if these charges should move forward. If an athlete had failed a drug test and the board was looking at objective evidence this process might make sense; however, Armstrong has never failed a drug test. All of the evidence in this case is subjective. Mr. Tygart has allegedly caught several other cyclists doping, and offered them immunity in exchange for their testimony against Lance. Shouldn't the credibility of such a witness be at least considered? Well, let's assume that Mr. Tygart's buddies, I mean, the independent "review board" find enough evidence to move the investigation forward, what happens next?

JUDGE: Tygart and USADA staff recommends sanction

Under the Applicable rules, Travis Tygart and his staff at the USADA, will recommend a sanction that will be imposed which may include up to a lifetime of ineligibility from sport. Finally, if Armstrong disagrees with the sanction imposed on him by Mr. Tygart, he can appeal for a full arbitration hearing.

USADA lacks internal and external controls

If Mr. Tygart and staff have the power it appears, what are the internal and external controls at USADA? What would restrict an overly ambitious CEO with an "axe to grind?"According to USADA bylaws, the organization has a very small ten member board of directors. The current director's are apparently impressed with Tygart and his "Tygarthian" prosecution style of accusing first and looking for evidence later. Unless Mr. Tygart received a pay cut last year, he's been paid a total of over $1.2 million in compensation and $100,000 in bonuses over the past four years. The spokesperson at the USADA did respond to my e-mail, but she declined to comment whether Tygart's bonuses were tied to finding a certain number of athletes or a particularly high profile athlete guilty of doping.

So, how are the USADA's directors chosen? Although the Bylaws allow other organizations to nominate potential directors, the USADA Board essentially has the power to elect their own replacements. This could ensure that only directors sympathetic to the Tygart are ever elected, and removes the accountability that a non-profit board should provide.

Finally, there's the office of National Drug Control Policy. This is the branch of the Federal government that funds the USADA $10 million a year of federal tax dollars to operate. According to legal counsel for the NDCP office, the $10 million grant is an "unsupervised non-competitive" grant. So, Tygart and staff are guaranteed $10 million a year in funding from the Federal government, but must answer to no one.

MY VERDICT

Do I think Mr. Tygart has some kind of personal vendetta against Lance? My personal opinion is yes, but I also think actions sometime speak louder than words. The 2012 London Olympic Games are a little more than a month away. Mr. Tygart and his staff are responsible for testing all US athletes headed to the games. However, he has chosen to use the majority of his offices resources investigating whether a retired cyclist doped 16 years ago.

The investigation and sanctioning process at the USADA is unconscionable. The partiality of the prosecutor, the lack of due process for the accused, and the lack of an independent fact finder are completely at odds with our American system of justice and fairness.

In the words of Heinlein, "To give a man power without accountability is to establish a tyrant."

Update: Thank you for all the likes, responses, positive and negative comments. For those of you that had questions:

Who are you? I am not a writer, I'm just an age group triathlete, who like the thousands of you felt angry and powerless with this unjust process.

What can we do to help? Travis Tygart is the CEO of a non-profit organization that receives the majority of its funding from federal tax dollars. As such, he must remember that he is still a public servant. The use of our tax dollars to pursue a personal vendetta and personal ambition is unacceptable. I believe the directors of this organization should immediately meet and vote to end this investigation. It would only take six members of the Board of Directors of the USADA to act with conscience, remove Travis Tygart from office, end this tribunal, and right the ship at the USADA. He is blurring the mission of the USADA beyond recognition. I encourage each of you to let your voice be heard. Send an e-mail today to askinner@usada.org expressing your view on this matter and ask that is be forwarded to every member of the Board of Directors.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Where did you do your research?

I spent a significant amount of time researching the information here to ensure its accuracy. Several of the comments below questioned its veracity. I would encourage you to read the article more carefully and review all of the material below. All of the information I discussed is public information, most of which is available on the USADA website. The information for this story came from the following sources:

The financial information is public record made available on the Form 990 which is the information return that non-profit 501©3 organizations such as USADA are required to file with the IRS. The USADA's return for 2010 is available on its website. www.usada.org/uploads/990.pdf I requested the 2011 information from the USADA and they informed me they were not required to file this until October, 2012. I also reviewed the 990 filing for the 2008, and 2009 tax year. You can find these on www.guidestar.org
The Bylaws I referenced in this article are available on the USADA www.usada.org/uploads/usada%20bylaws.pdf You have to read these closely several times to realize the lack of accountability the current Director nomination process provides.
I also read and cited to the USADA protocol which is available here http://www.usada.org/files/pdfs/usada-protocol.pdf The difficulty of understanding this process, led me to the "prosecutor, judge, and jury" analogy. You will find the board review process on page 8. If the analogy were to continue the appellate court would be the "AAA" Arbitration hearing, I refer to this as a full arbitration hearing in the article above to aid in understanding. Finally, the Supreme Court in my analogy, would be the "Court of Arbitration of Sport" More info can be found on Annex E at page 75.
I also read and cited to the June 12, 2012 letter from the USADA outlining the charges. http://a.espncdn.com/pdf/2012/0613/armstrongcharges.pdf

5. The comment from the Office of NDCP was from an attorney in the Freedom of Information Act Division.

6. I sent several e-mails to USADA last week asking for comment on this story, and they refused other than saying the 2011, form 990 would be available in October.

* Slight correction, I claimed that USADA received almost 90% of its funding from the federal government. In 2010 it received 66% of its funding from a federal grant. Another 21% came from the United States Olympic Committee, an organization that I believed to be completely federally funded. USOC actually receives both private than federal funding. Thanks to @Benjamin Berry for pointing that out.

Submitted by Tim Dockery on Jun 21, 2012

http://www.xtri.com/features/detail/284-itemId.511714298.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:26 am »

“We are cheating and can’t catch him, therefore he must be cheating!!!"

As most of you know, I’m more than a casual observer to cycling so I’ve been following this for quite a while.  It doesn’t make me an expert on the case nor an insider, just saying I’ve got more than a casual interest since Lance has been and is an inspiration for many people not only in the cycling community but on many fronts.

They have no blood test evidence on Armstrong and never have.  According to statements by Lance, he passed over 500 tests in more than 20 years.  No one has ever produced positive test results to contradict this claim.  USADA came after him after a two year federal investigation determined there was insufficient evidence to push a criminal case against him.  All they have are previous teammates who may or may not have cut a deal for immunity by saying “Oh yeah, Lance doped like we all did!  I saw it in his refrigerator!”.  That was paraphrased from an interview with Tyler Hamilton they replayed this morning on CBS.  His body language and facial expressions all indicated he was lying (at least according to any 15 minute primer you can read about deception and how to tell when someone is bullshitting).

When a prosecutor says: “You could do prison time and pay hefty fines for your involvement.  Tell me now, who else did this on your team?  Did Lance?”

What will someone say?  “Send me to prison!!”

USADA came after him with nothing more than circumstantial and anecdotal evidence at best and supposed blood test data which had not been acted upon while he was competing again in 2009 and 2010.  If he tested positive in ’09 and ’10 while competing at the elite level again, why were there no sanctions brought against him at the time as they were against other cyclists like 2009 and 2010 TDF winner, Alberto Contador.  Contador was stripped of his 2010 title after a positive test for clenobuterol during the tour.  If Armstrong tested positive, why didn’t the world anti-doping authority do anything about it as they obviously did with others?

Additionally, Mrs. C was curious about what EPO does and looked up an article on it.  EPO increases the body’s output of red blood cells.  More oxygen to muscles increases performance.  However, it also makes blood thicker.  Elite athletes typically have very low resting heart rates.  Armstrong reputedly has a resting HR of around 32.  Do you really think he’d be willing to risk death for athletic glory?  Pro athletes have died as a result of EPO use.

This is not the only case of Travis Tygart and USADA going after athletes with little evidence.  Though not a federal agency, they are a quasi-governmental “non-profit” which receives a good amount of funding in grants from the feds to the tune of about $6.6 mil a year, the rest of the budget appears to come from the US Olympic Committee which I believe gets funds from the feds and other sources.

There is no innocent until proven guilty with Tygart and USADA, it’s guilty until proven innocent or until you simply say “F*ck it!” and give up.  It’s yet one more diseased tentacle in our mis-guided “war on drugs”.  We send otherwise good contributors to prison for relatively minor possession or use.  We spend billions incarcerating people who might otherwise be contributing to society with some rehabilitative help, and now it appears we are willing to spend millions to billions on ruining the lives and besmirching the careers of our sports heroes.

Why are Congress and the feds so enraptured with doping and steroid use amongst athletes?  Where in the Constitution does it say you cannot risk your personal health in achieving athletic excellence?  

I was waiting on your take on the subject, as I know your relationship with cycling and knew you'd know your stuff on it.

I've always admired Lance, not just for the cycling but perseverance through the cancer.  I think the European cycling agencies are jealous that an American was kicking their donkey for so long in a sport they thought couldn't be touched by Americans.

Lance was a aberration of fitness.  Likely to never be seen again.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »

And here I was hoping this thread was NSFW with some good nudies of Lance stripping.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 02:18:12 pm »

And here I was hoping this thread was NSFW with some good nudies of Lance stripping.

Can open.  Worms everywhere
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

Just no pleasing some people....there are pictures of him all over the internet in Spandex!!  Ain't that enough?

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 06:14:24 pm »

Just no pleasing some people....there are pictures of him all over the internet in Spandex!!  Ain't that enough?

I could post some photos of me in spandex, and I'll even do that for free!  On the other hand, if each of you chip in $5, I won't.

...and Conan, thanks for posting that piece from Dockery.  I remembered reading it, but couldn't remember where.

Floyd Landis was in the news today too, for defrauding his donors.  He apparently reached an agreement with the prosecutor.  There were some serious issues with his doping case too.  The test apparatus was running the wrong software.  It may or may not have been calibrated.  And chain of custody wasn't maintained on his samples - all things that would have had the case thrown out in a court of law, but the anti-doping people know better than to let that happen.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:15:44 pm »

Lance is gonna get to "enjoy" the same kind of carp that Pete Rose has had to deal with.

Donations to Live Strong have skyrocketed.  I may have to join in that....

MrsConan
Citizen

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »

I have some Livestrong bracelets if anyone would like one.Wink
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:54 pm »

I have some Livestrong bracelets if anyone would like one.Wink

Gonna bail on Lance?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org