A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:41:56 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Airline$ -> how much money to save Tulsa jobs?  (Read 24222 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:43 pm »

That's part of the Railway Labor Act and here's how it works in a nutshell:

First, the parties must negotiate.  They can negotiate for years.  If there's no agreement, they can ask for a mediator. If he can't get the parties to agree, they can ask for binding arbitration.  It's almost always refused because both parties have to agree to bring in an arbitrator. If they still can't agree, one or both parties can ask the National Labor Relations Board to release them for 'self help'. If the NLRB releases them, they enter that 30 day cooling off period, at the end of which, the union is free to strike and the company is free to impose new work rules.  Of course, if they do strike, the President can declare a transportation emergency and order them back to work.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »

Assuming that by the posting you have in the past defended or represented the unions.  You are well versed on the long drawn out requirements that must be carried out, unless a wild cat strike interferes, it protects the employees from missing pay checks that in some cases takes years to regain their losses.   

The United States Conciliation Service was established to bring all affected parties to the table and help them to negotiate in good faith with clean hands. 

Since the days of John L Lewis and his coal miners some of the strikes have become violent.  Some of the columnists looking over their shoulders are suggesting we have slipped into a depression.  Like the great depression unions and management led to violence and violence bred violence.     

The present negotiations under way are the results of a divided table and greed on both sides whereas they believe the City is the “cash cow” that can be milked at will.  We cannot hang the sword of David over our heads with a hair forever.   

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 05:39:22 pm »

Assuming that by the posting you have in the past defended or represented the unions. 

I like pipe unions.  I wish there were one more in the gas line to the house heater.  It would make it a lot easier to change out the well tank.  Grin

shadows
City Father

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 06:07:41 pm »

I like pipe unions.  I wish there were one more in the gas line to the house heater.  It would make it a lot easier to change out the well tank.  Grin

You can get a slip joint union that you only have to saw the pipe and put the union it and tighten it.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 08:29:27 pm »

You can get a slip joint union that you only have to saw the pipe and put the union it and tighten it.

I don't want to do any sawing. I just want to disconnect and reconnect.  Fortunately, I think I can tilt the new water tank to get it in place. I certainly hope so since I already bought it today at Attwoods.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »

I cannot believe the founding fathers ever intended for the governing bodies to tell the citizenry that “We are going to tax you millions of dollars in a bouncing economy.   We will reserve millions of dollars for us to be used as a slush fund.  Now if you approve we will let you buy things with any left over.”

The raising of tax money was reserved to the voters to benefit the quality of life and common defense instead of taxing the population for government’s personal follies.  It has been the intent for the citizen to institute the taxing measures to improve the livelihoods of the society as a whole not in the reversal as being ask of the voters “How d0 you want to spend the tax money?”   

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »

I cannot believe the founding fathers ever intended for the governing bodies to tell the citizenry that “We are going to tax you millions of dollars in a bouncing economy.   We will reserve millions of dollars for us to be used as a slush fund.  Now if you approve we will let you buy things with any left over.”

The raising of tax money was reserved to the voters to benefit the quality of life and common defense instead of taxing the population for government’s personal follies.  It has been the intent for the citizen to institute the taxing measures to improve the livelihoods of the society as a whole not in the reversal as being ask of the voters “How d0 you want to spend the tax money?”   

I've really been wanting to ask if you're Ming the Merciliess in your avatar.

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled 'huh'?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 10:44:14 pm »

Somehow, I manage not to have a problem with the way most of the airport money is being spent based on the document posted earlier. If the buildings and pavement really are in need of refurbishment, have at it, I say. No sense in being a slumlord. If we don't want to keep it up, we should sell it. I'm having a little more trouble with buying equipment for AA, but I understand that's how the arrangement already works. What I really don't like is the part about possibly paying for the equipment and then having ownership pass to the tenants after a period of years. If they want to own it, they should buy it.

It's the rest of it that I'm having more trouble wrapping my head around. More details would be nice.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
shadows
City Father

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 02:05:39 pm »

I've really been wanting to ask if you're Ming the Merciliess in your avatar.

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled 'huh'?

_________________________________________________________________________________
Negative; just a devils’ advocate reacting to the information being distributed by the elite to the helpless poor who see the days of the Gentile as being fulfilled in the '40's.     
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:07:16 pm by shadows » Logged

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 03:30:46 pm »

Gleason said it best. "And away we go!"

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 03:34:43 pm »

_________________________________________________________________________________
Negative; just a devils’ advocate reacting to the information being distributed by the elite to the helpless poor who see the days of the Gentile as being fulfilled in the '40's.     

Wow...that was actually a rhetorical question.  But...OK....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 04:28:09 pm »

The bankruptcy judge, in a precedent rule of the court, in the court finding the AA can nullify the contract with their pilot’s, allowing entering a new field to negotiate with other sources.  This will open a can of worms with the manage/labor cooperation among all the unions now in jeopardy, shows how the corporations of America are going be on a “bust the unions” rampage. 

These contracts are signed in good faith and when such can be broken by a single person then the working poor is being push further into poverty.   It is a sad day for them and a day to celebrate for corporate America.           
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:06:23 pm by shadows » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/bankruptcy-ruling-expected-wednesday-for-american-airlines

Ed, any more you can disclose on this?  Or do you know anything yet?

shadows
City Father

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »

It is said that Tulsa has nearly as any jobs as their total population.  By the traffic on the expressways in the mornings, there seem to be many coming into the city to work.  Since AA is touted as the major employer is there any information as to the percentage whose residence is outside the county/city area?  Since the Burbs are duplicating the retail markets once exclusive to Tulsa, by the rule of the thumb sales tax will decrease. 

Inflation increases cash such as when a $100,000 dollar average house inflated to $140,000 dollars you increase the cash flow as the feds increase dumping money into the lenders coffers and added the economy shows increases the GDP.  Was it GM that closed its plant in OC after the perks ran out? 

Before the citizens of Tulsa are committed for the next 17 years lets leave it lie on the table for those emergencies that the bonding statutes were enacted for. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »

Since the Burbs are duplicating the retail markets once exclusive to Tulsa, by the rule of the thumb sales tax will decrease. 

I know this is the Tulsa Now forum and not the Jenks, Bixby, BA, Owasso, Sand Springs, Sapulpa Forum.  However, a case could be made that Tulsa used to have an unfair monopoly on the retail market, robbing the surrounding communities of their rightful sales taxes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org