A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:20:44 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jazz Hall of Debt?  (Read 15921 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:11 pm »

Just saw this today...wasn't this a Vision 2025 project?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=333&articleid=20120820_333_0_TheTul944253

The Tulsa County Industrial Authority deferred any action Monday on its lease with the the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame until Sept. 4 to give the organization time to pay its electric bill.

The Hall of Fame reportedly owes more than $30,000 to American Electric Power-Public Service Company of Oklahoma.

The unpaid utility bills are the latest in a series of run-ins the Jazz Hall of Fame has had with the Industrial Authority over late payments and bounced checks.

Earlier this year, a $3,882 check from the Jazz Hall of Fame to the Industrial Authority to cover half a year of insurance on the Union Depot arrived months late and then bounced.

The Jazz Hall of Fame leases the Union Depot at First Street and Cincinnati Avenue, a facility purchased and refurbished by the county with $4 million in Vision 2025 funds.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:08 pm »

Sounds like the financial house is in disarray.  TTC made a good point this morning on another thread when he pointed out perhaps the pop and jazz HoF/museums should be combined into one.

Secondly, why do we have a jazz HoF here anyhow when there are other places like New Orleans with a much richer jazz heritage?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »

And put them under Tulsa Technology Center, because that is apparently where all the money is going.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »

Sounds like the financial house is in disarray.  TTC made a good point this morning on another thread when he pointed out perhaps the pop and jazz HoF/museums should be combined into one.

Secondly, why do we have a jazz HoF here anyhow when there are other places like New Orleans with a much richer jazz heritage?

Tulsa's post race riot sent some great Jazz artists north to KC.... among other friendlier territories...
Tulsa’s Greenwood District was once a hotbed for jazz and blues, and the site where Count Basie first encountered big-band jazz. From the early 1900s through the 1940s, North Greenwood Avenue in Tulsa, Oklahoma was known as “Black Wall Street.” The discriminatory “Jim Crow” laws of the time limited shopping, commercial and land ownership by African-Americans to only the north side of Tulsa. As a result, the African-American community developed a profoundly successful and enviable infrastructure. Prior to 1921, the 36-square-block area known as “Little Africa” encompassed hundreds of businesses and approximately 11,000 people. Among these African-American residents were several PhDs, attorneys, doctors and many others who had earned advanced degrees. There were 21 churches, 212 restaurants, two movie theaters and more than 400 businesses in north Tulsa at that time. The main thoroughfare was Greenwood Avenue, and it was intersected by Archer and Pine Streets. From the first letters in each of those three street names, you get G.A.P. where the renowned Tulsa R&B music group the GAP Band got its name.

When the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 destroyed much of the district, the community rebuilt from the ashes. Today, the Greenwood Historical District showcases its heritage through the Greenwood Cultural Center and the Mabel B. Little Heritage House.

The Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame, housed in the historic Tulsa Union Depot, features exhibits devoted to gospel, jazz and blues musicians. The on-site music library holds video, audio and photographic materials about featured artists. Photographs of jazz greats line the walls and an art gallery completes the museum with sculptures depicting musical themes and performers.
http://www.travelok.com/article_page/oklahomas-jazz-and-juke-joint-history

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »

So it appears they received an extension to pay their bill, anyone else hear anything on this? I have a friend getting married here next June and they are concerned about this place going belly up!
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 03:16:07 pm »

I think this is all about the Comishies doing something to show they care about waste and prove to the citizens they are doing their job.

I'm just curious what we don't know about them not doing or seeing.....
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:33:26 pm »

Credit to Mr. Lee Roy Chapman :
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/facing-eviction-oklahoma-jazz-hall-of-fame-given-final-chance-to-pay-almost-60k-in-bills/2012/09/24/493dffd0-067d-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 05:15:32 pm »

Anybody have any info on a replacement tenant? I wonder if the comishies will actually rvict the HOF. I just can't understand the preasure without something to replace the current occupant.

I think there might be some hidden agenda. Perhaps, it would be a train station?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:09:43 pm »

Perhaps, it would be a train station?

Nah, going back to the original use is against the game rules of repurposing.   Grin

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:07 am »

Link dead
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »

Try this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/facing-eviction-oklahoma-jazz-hall-of-fame-given-final-chance-to-pay-almost-60k-in-bills/2012/09/24/493dffd0-067d-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »

I would be interested to know how much the person in charge is making or rather paying himself......I had a friend call me about this place and he said that he did an event there, the guy who ran it opened the door, said call me when your done I'll be at Mcnellies....he thought it was very strange...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »

Their 990 shows they made $140,000 in rental income.

It also shows expenses of $100,000 in rent and utilities and $172,000 in salaries.

Power is nothing till you use it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:18 pm »

I would be interested to know how much the person in charge is making or rather paying himself......I had a friend call me about this place and he said that he did an event there, the guy who ran it opened the door, said call me when your done I'll be at Mcnellies....he thought it was very strange...

When I did an event at the Tulsa Garden Center, the lady who ran it said "I'll be up in my office." I didn't find it strange at all.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »

When I did an event at the Tulsa Garden Center, the lady who ran it said "I'll be up in my office." I didn't find it strange at all.

Last I checked Mcnellies Bar was not any type of office..so in theory I wouldn't find someone saying they will be in their office weird either...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org