A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:36 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Now Buying Group  (Read 46502 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 04:46:25 pm »

Well get your rear over here and fix mine then. And a lol over linksys...

The old blue brick 54G with third party firmware worked well.  Too bad when Cisco bought them out they essentially ignored the consumer network division and ever since their routers have sucked.

I got an Asus RTN16 last year and installed third party firmware on that and works as good as any of the old Linksys routers I've ever had.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »

The old blue brick 54G with third party firmware worked well.  Too bad when Cisco bought them out they essentially ignored the consumer network division and ever since their routers have sucked.

I got an Asus RTN16 last year and installed third party firmware on that and works as good as any of the old Linksys routers I've ever had.

What the hell did you just say? Should I be insulted? Can someone translate nerd please? Smiley

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »

What the hell did you just say? Should I be insulted? Can someone translate nerd please? Smiley

Get a translator.  Better yet, ask Grizz.  He's fluent in it.   Grin

It's just a better brand of router with some aftermarket stuff on it that helps wireless range.  The new Linksys routers suck.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 05:03:08 pm »

Nope, not an insult.  Just techno-geek for "you get to buy a new toy for your computer".

Or maybe just an EA4500??  Seems like there would be less 'hands-on' for guido...??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »

Nope, not an insult.  Just techno-geek for "you get to buy a new toy for your computer".

Or maybe just an EA4500??  Seems like there would be less 'hands-on' for guido...??

Yep, but the reviews are mixed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124459

Beware - if you are going to buy products made for and endorsed by 'geeks' expect 'geeky' responses.  I've spent nearly 20 years in networking and other computer science related fields.  Maybe that's why I can make about 300 percent profit on someone when they ask me to build a PC to spec for them when they don't want to deal with Dell or Gateway.  During my 18 month underemployment in the early 2000s, that's what I did to stay afloat.  I almost opened a business for it but there was already far too much competition.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 05:13:39 pm »

I have a 54G running 3rd party firmware on a shelf. Running Linksys firmware I had to reboot it almost daily. I put a newer one in it's place and I only have to reboot it monthly. I used to be a netgear devotee but they were mostly crap, just in different ways.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »

Beware - if you are going to buy products made for and endorsed by 'geeks' expect 'geeky' responses.  I've spent nearly 20 years in networking and other computer science related fields.  Maybe that's why I can make about 300 percent profit on someone when they ask me to build a PC to spec for them when they don't want to deal with Dell or Gateway.  During my 18 month underemployment in the early 2000s, that's what I did to stay afloat.  I almost opened a business for it but there was already far too much competition.

Unfortunately that profit margin has shrunk greatly in the last 5 years thanks to Dell and HP buying lower quality components to push $200-300 PC's out the door. I can buy some pretty cranking server hardware for not much more than I spent on a PC back in the day.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 05:22:09 pm »

Unfortunately that profit margin has shrunk greatly in the last 5 years thanks to Dell and HP buying lower quality components to push $200-300 PC's out the door. I can buy some pretty cranking server hardware for not much more than I spent on a PC back in the day.

Correct.  A lot of the bulk manufacturers and distributors found out that it wasn't all that difficult to build your own desktops for many.  I've never owned a desktop that I bought from a store.  Mine have always been home built.  They always lasted a LOT longer (IMO) because I knew what I put in them and worked with the individual part companies for the warranties.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 07:19:21 pm »

Yeah... seems like most of the gripes are about the 'cloud' feature.  I have no clue what that means, but it can be disabled.  Probably not something I would use in that case.

Am planning to upgrade computer, and it looks like a 19" rack blade would not be much more than I spent for my original IBM PC.  Almost looks viable.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »

Type of business: Information Technology Solutions for small and medium sized businesses

Product or service: Computer Maintance, Web Design/Development, Marketing

Average customer size: All sizes

Perfect customer: Those who need help making their technology work better for them. Those that want to be more productive.

Years in business: Since 2002

Corporate office city: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Thank you,
Robert Town
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:33 pm »

Peon, I got the ASUS Black Diamond RT-N56U earlier this year. All your networks will now bow down.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

If anyone needs a boiler, thermal oil heater, any sort of commercial combustion equipment, antique Harley-Davidson parts, commercial and personal line insurance, or green chile stew that will knock your socks off that’s Mrs. C and I.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:51 am »

Peon, I got the ASUS Black Diamond RT-N56U earlier this year. All your networks will now bow down.

No third party firmware support that I have seen for the 56U.  FAIL.

The 66U however does support some third party firmware.  WIN.

My 16 supports Tomato firmware AND dd-wrt.  I use tomato.  It works well.  WIN.

The 16 has 32mb flash and 128mb RAM.  The 56?  It has 8mb flash memory and 128mb RAM.  Likely why most third party firmwares won't work on it.  Another FAIL.

The 56U cost?  $105 at Newegg.  The 16?  $85.  WIN for both really, because they are good routers at good prices.  The difference is that the 56 does dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz).  Mine doesn't, but 5ghz is limited anyway.

Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:24:25 am by Hoss » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »

If anyone needs a boiler, thermal oil heater, any sort of commercial combustion equipment, antique Harley-Davidson parts, commercial and personal line insurance, or green chile stew that will knock your socks off that’s Mrs. C and I.

I have talked from time to time about getting a school bus and converting it to motorhome - does she have insurance for that, if I go through with it?  (There are some pretty good looking school buses out there pretty cheap now...)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »

I have talked from time to time about getting a school bus and converting it to motorhome - does she have insurance for that, if I go through with it?  (There are some pretty good looking school buses out there pretty cheap now...)

Should be no different than a motorhome.  I’m pretty sure she can write it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org