A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:55:38 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Day of Support for...  (Read 73060 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2012, 01:21:37 pm »

What does one's home or church have to do with government recognition of gay marriage, Conan? Or the chickfila thing, for that matter?

You are conflating issues, Nate.  Go find some Carib and get off the computer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »

You bring up a valid issue.  At what point does observing religious tradition become discriminatory?  Whew, that could be a real barn-burner.

I would have to say when it involves the action of mistreating another individual based on his or her group affiliation.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:07 pm »

I would have to say when it involves the action of mistreating another individual based on his or her group affiliation.

I could agree with that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »

You are conflating issues, Nate.  Go find some Carib and get off the computer.

I'm not on a computer and they don't seem to have carib at dfw. If AA would hire some damn pilots I might manage to get somewhere I can buy some.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »

I think people are missing a lot of the context here.  Most I know of aren't angry solely about what the guy said, but what he and his company actively does and supports.  Most I know of aren't even hung up about the marriage issue and are frustrated that that seems to be the focus.  

But back to that context.  It wasn't but a short time before his comments that it was all in the news, or at least was big in the news for the "gays" about the millions that Chick-fil-A has spent supporting organizations that have actively worked to,,, hurt people.  Through his company the owner actively supports organizations that promotes things he believes in, like putting people in jail for being gay. He financially supported the "Kill the gays" bill in Uganda. Works to actively promote the lie that all gays are mentally ill. Supports reinstating sodomy laws. Opposes efforts to reduce gay bullying. Pushes efforts to create laws that will make it illegal to broadcast any content that opposes his Christian values. Etc. etc. etc.  The marriage comment thing is just a fraction of a lot of other issues he and the organizations he supports promote and stand for.   His open comments in an interview soon after all this other stuff hit the news, only served as a lightningrod for the rest.   People were already upset before he said anything.  

It's one thing to believe something, to say something, and write something, but it's another entirely, especially on an issue thats so important, to then take the next step and actively try to DO things based on it that can really hurt people.  

People were saying they would boycott Chick-fil-A, not mainly because of the marriage comment, but mainly because your money would go to support those other beliefs and efforts to change laws and such.  It almost appears to be a tactic to try to change the subject to "well they are just all upset about what the guy said", rather than what it was originally and mostly about.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:48:36 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2012, 01:47:54 pm »

What he said. I get side tracked too easily.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2012, 02:01:19 pm »

I think people are missing a lot of the context here.  Most I know of aren't angry solely about what the guy said, but what he and his company actively does and supports.  Most I know of aren't even hung up about the marriage issue and are frustrated that that seems to be the focus.  

But back to that context.  It wasn't but a short time before his comments that it was all in the news, or at least was big in the news for the "gays" about the millions that Chick-fil-A has spent supporting organizations that have actively worked to,,, hurt people.  Through his company the owner actively supports organizations that promotes things he believes in, like putting people in jail for being gay. He financially supported the "Kill the gays" bill in Uganda. Works to actively promote the lie that all gays are mentally ill. Supports reinstating sodomy laws. Opposes efforts to reduce gay bullying. Pushes efforts to create laws that will make it illegal to broadcast any content that opposes his Christian values. Etc. etc. etc.  The marriage comment thing is just a fraction of a lot of other issues he and the organizations he supports promote and stand for.   His open comments in an interview soon after all this other stuff hit the news, only served as a lightningrod for the rest.   People were already upset before he said anything.  

It's one thing to believe something, to say something, and write something, but it's another entirely, especially on an issue thats so important, to then take the next step and actively try to DO things based on it that can really hurt people.  

People were saying they would boycott Chick-fil-A, not mainly because of the marriage comment, but mainly because your money would go to support those other beliefs and efforts to change laws and such.  It almost appears to be a tactic to try to change the subject to "well they are just all upset about what the guy said", rather than what it was originally and mostly about.

First I heard of it was a few weeks ago on the KMOD morning drive.  Phil Stone made a wisecrack about “Well no wonder someone with a mens and women’s name would be opposed to same sex marriage.”  

At the time I thought: “Do we really care what Dan Cathy says?  I could care about as much as what Bono has to say about American politics.  Meh, some moron spouting off his social or political views at the risk of his business.”

Thanks for shining more light on the issue.  

/edit- Not to doubt the veracity of what you are saying regarding who CFA funds, but I thought I would snope it and see if there’s more to the story.  Perhaps because I find it incredulous (though not impossible) that there would actually be a foundation(s) which support hurting or killing gay people.  The snopes article is an interesting read.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:19:15 pm by Conan71 » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »

Some years back, I had a hard time believing all the crazy exit product that goes on in Africa, and to a lesser degree developing nations elsewhere. There are a lot of really foobared up people in the world. That's where TTC's anti-religion screeds have their kernel of truth. Messed up people have no qualms about using religion as a cover for their crazy. Sometimes they even believe it.

On the other hand, most of your garden variety churchgoers don't fall into that trap.

Anyway, there are quite a few retreats here in the US designed to suck the gay out of you. Sadly, people are often forced into them by family and so-called friends. Suicide is tragically frequent in many of them. WinShape funds some of them. They don't set out to kill people, though. Some Ugandans do.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2012, 04:08:28 pm »

A story about today's kiss in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183234/Chick-fil-A-CFO-Adam-Smith-fired-verbally-abusing-employee-gay-rights-protest-Same-Sex-Kiss-Day.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2012, 06:40:44 pm »

Got to be a trademark violation in this somewhere...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2012, 09:57:09 pm »

You just knew this was going to happen:

http://supportcfarachel.com/

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2012, 10:59:20 pm »

Anyway, there are quite a few retreats here in the US designed to suck the gay out of you.

Unfortunate use of words or well-timed pun.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2012, 09:59:21 am »

You just knew this was going to happen:
http://supportcfarachel.com/

W: “I’m staying neutral on this subject… my personal beliefs don’t belong in the workplace.”

She's showing more integrity than her employer,
or for that mater, her boyfriend milking this.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2012, 05:42:54 pm »

Here comes the dooshbaggery:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x8G4jI3VI8U[/youtube]

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »

TUCSON, AZ--(Marketwire - Aug 2, 2012) - The following is a statement from Vante:
Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.

Vante made it clear they took action against him directly as a result of his protected speech.  
Dont expect to put your kids through college from any future earnings from their stock.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org