A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:33:25 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Day of Support for...  (Read 75062 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »

Why should Vante feel any different than they did yesterday?

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. You might want to get that checked out unless you've been hitting the Marshall's pretty hard tonight, in which case you are excused.  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »

It’ll never happen.  I’m FAR too bigoted, intolerant, and racist for that to ever happen.  Cool

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2012, 07:33:03 am »

Got to wonder how Vante feels this compelled them to fire the man for exercising his free speech.
http://wizbangblog.com/2012/08/02/business-executive-records-himself-badgering-a-chick-fil-a-employee-suprised-everyone-thinks-hes-a-jerk
Does this not make them hypocrites?

He was quite within his rights to explain how he felt to the employee of Chic-fil-a.  The company he was an officer of, was also quite within their rights to fire him if  his actions did not reflect their code of conduct for officers of the company.  He seems to express himself well and will probably get a job working for a company that is a better fit for his expressive nature. 

His goal was not to send a message to Chic-fil-a.  His goal was to gain attention for himself, and he succeeded. If he really wanted to express his opinion about Chic-fil-a in a viral video, he could have done so without engaging an innocent employee, who by the way, handled the situation like a champ!  His motivation was not to simply make a statement, his motivation was to cause someone anguish. I probably would have thrown ice water in his lap and been fired myself.  She will probably get a raise for her conduct.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:42 am »

More likely they were paying for pullet.  Funny nonetheless.

You heard about the farmer with a donkey, a hen, and a rooster, didn’t you?

“Here, hold my cock & pullet while I scratch my donkey."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2012, 09:39:43 am »

As a gay person myself this whole thing has been very hurtful.  I can't help but think that somewhere in some of those lines there has been a young gay boy or girl taken there by their parent, and I bet none of you can imagine how terrible and anguished that child must feel in that situation.  Its very likely that behind one of the counters serving those people in those lines there was a young gay person just trying to do their job and make a paycheck.  Can you imagine how hurt they are feeling?  

Being gay isn't a "lifestyle choice".  

My first thought is to think "Ok, it's fine that people can express their opinions and beliefs, and then we can turn around and disagree with them and voice our opinions."  But you know, this is real, being gay isn't an "opinion", a disagreement about one political philosohy or another, or anything like that, this is about something fundamentally different.  This company supports, to the tune of millions of dollars, groups that are actively trying to change laws, that publicize false "studies", that try to "pray the gay away" and push gay people to be straight, and that intentionally spread lies, that has supported laws in other countries to imprison gays, etc..  The marriage issue is only a fraction, one part, of that agenda, of the owner of Chick-fil-A's beliefs and agenda.  

If we were to play "reverse day" and just for a while imagine that somehow straight people were the minority, and there were people saying that straight people should be deported, that they shouldn't be allowed to marry and their relationships were wrong, that they should try to be gay, that they shouldn't be allowed to raise children, and in other countries when laws were being considered to give straight people and couples the same rights as gays, they would fight against them or even support laws to imprison straight people, etc.  Lets imagine that I and others would go up to Conan and say "We love and care about you Conan, but we "hate" the sin of you choosing to be straight". We love you but you shouldn't have a relationship with Mrs C, it's wrong and evil.  You can never marry. We love you but you shouldn't be allowed to have and raise children.  We love you but we don't ever want to see you holding hands with Mrs C and you shouldn't even think such things, you should be dating boys.  And it's ok that if you go to a job interview and they find out your straight that they can choose not to hire you for that reason. Or that if your current boss finds out your straight they may fire you and it's ok for people at work, including your boss to say things against straight people, comment about how sick and evil they are, etc.  And imagine you being a little straight kid hearing your parents say bad things about straight people, lies about them, and your church doing the same thing, people at school picking on straight people, you hearing about straight people in other countries being killed for being found out that they are straight.  Most stories, movies, cartoons, fairy tales, poems, etc. are about gay relationships and whenever someone dares write one about straight relationships,,, well there are groups working to ban them.  You can celebrate and support gay marriage and relationships, but straight marriage and relationships are wrong and immoral.  They say they love you Conan, though they don't know your straight, and as you sit there with your parents at church you listen to your pastor giving a sermon saying that straight people will go to hell,,, both your parents chime inwith a hearty "AMEN to that!".  Then one day you hear about a company that takes millions of dollars of its profits and gives them to a group that uses them to spread lies about straight people and change laws to deny them the same rights that gay people have, that says that straight people and their relationships would destroy our country and it would be horrible if they were allowed to marry, that supports other countries creating laws to imprison straight people, etc..  And then the owner of that company, that supports that group, says so and that he believes that straight people should not marry and then you see thousands and thousands of people lining up to support that man, his company, and their beliefs and agenda.  But never mind, it's ok, the "straight issue" including marriage, is just a, free speech issue, a disagreement on opinions about someones sick "lifestyle choice".  But they of course love you Conan, they just "hate" the sin of you being straight.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:44:21 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:46 am »

Well said, artist.

To lighten the mood, today I heard the whole conversation called Chick Fellatio. 

Power is nothing till you use it.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2012, 10:14:28 am »

Marriage is a legal issue. You can raise the other moral issues to confuse people, but in reality it's about two people making a legally binding agreement to live together in a committed lifestyle maybe raising a family.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2012, 10:15:00 am »

William, I sent you a private email in full reply to your post.

That said, (and not directed toward you, this is in general) people need to quit loosely throwing around terms like bigot, intolerant, hateful, and other words which relate to character simply because someone has a different tradition or view.  I really don’t see how that’s any different than epithets hurled at people relating to race or sexual orientation.  That seems to be a relatively new tactic to try and intimidate others into more progressive thought.   

I beginning to think people want a reason to be pissed off and social media and forums like this gives them an easy way to express it. (Actually Mrs. C’s thought, I borrowed it from her).

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2012, 10:30:12 am »

As a gay person myself this whole thing has been very hurtful.  I can't help but think that somewhere in some of those lines there has been a young gay boy or girl taken there by their parent, and I bet none of you can imagine how terrible and anguished that child must feel in that situation.  Its very likely that behind one of the counters serving those people in those lines there was a young gay person just trying to do their job and make a paycheck.  Can you imagine how hurt they are feeling?   

Being gay isn't a "lifestyle choice".   

My first thought is to think "Ok, it's fine that people can express their opinions and beliefs, and then we can turn around and disagree with them and voice our opinions."  But you know, this is real, being gay isn't an "opinion", a disagreement about one political philosohy or another, or anything like that, this is about something fundamentally different.  This company supports, to the tune of millions of dollars, groups that are actively trying to change laws, that publicize false "studies", that try to "pray the gay away" and push gay people to be straight, and that intentionally spread lies, etc..  The marriage issue is only a fraction, one part, of that agenda. 

If we were to play "reverse day" and just for a while imagine that somehow straight people were the minority, and there were people saying that straight people should be deported, that they shouldn't be allowed to marry and their relationships were wrong, that they should try to be gay, that they shouldn't be allowed to raise children, and in other countries when laws were being considered to give gays rights they would fight against them or even support laws to imprison straight people, etc.  Lets imagine that I and others would go up to Colin and say "We love and care about you Colin, but we "hate" the sin of you choosing to be straight". We love you but you shouldn't have a relationship with Mrs C, it's wrong and evil.  You can never marry. We love you but you shouldn't be allowed to have and raise children.  We love you but we don't ever want to see you holding hands with Mrs C and you shouldn't even think such things, you should be dating boys.  And it's ok that if you go to a job interview and they find out your straight that they can choose not to hire you for that reason. Or that if your current boss finds out your straight they may fire you and it's ok for people at work, including your boss to say things against straight people, comment about how sick and evil they are, etc.  And imagine you being a little straight kid hearing your parents say bad things about straight people, lies about them, and your church doing the same thing, people at school picking on straight people, you hearing about straight people in other countries being killed for being found out that they are straight.  Most stories, movies, cartoons, fairy tales, poems, etc. are about gay relationships and whenever someone dares write one about straight relationships,,, well there are groups working to ban them.  You can celebrate and support gay marriage and relationships, but straight marriage and relationships are wrong and immoral.  They say they love you Colin, though they don't know your straight, and as you sit there with your parents at church you listen to your pastor giving a sermon saying that straight people will go to hell,,, both your parents chime inwith a hearty "AMEN to that!".  Then one day you hear about a company that takes millions of dollars of its profits and gives them to a group that uses them to spread lies about straight people and change laws to deny them the same rights that gay people have, that says that straight people and their relationships would destroy our country and it would be horrible if they were allowed to marry, that supports other countries creating laws to imprison straight people, etc..  And then the owner of that company, that supports that group, says so and that he believes that straight people should not marry and then you see thousands and thousands of people lining up to support that man, his company, and their beliefs and agenda.  But never mind, it's ok, the "straight issue" including marriage, is just a, free speech issue, a disagreement on opinions about someones sick "lifestyle choice".  But they of course love you Colin, they just "hate" the sin of you being straight.

I can't pretend to understand your pain, but I understand where you are coming from with this post.  It does make me think, and makes me sad that there are intolerant people in the world.  The good news is that there are fewer and fewer of them, and incidents like this are an excellent opportunity for people to educate the public.  But if they cross the line between protest and their own intolerance, they shoot themselves in the foot.

I fully support the right, and the exercise of the right of people to protest Chic-fil-a.  I support the right for them to boycott, educate others, and motivate any and all people to share in their boycott.

I, and about 50% of the nation do not agree with Dan Cathy's views.   I'm not a big fan of Chic-fil-a.  BUT. . .When politicians take it upon themselves to limit a person, or company's ability to do business because they don't share the same beliefs, religion, or philosophy of that person, that's where I, and others draw the line.

Dan Cathy has the right to believe as he wishes, just as you do.
Dan Cathy has the right, as does his company to give money to whatever nut job charity he wishes, just as you do.

There are half a dozen politicians that are vowing to block Chic-fil-a from opening stores in their cities or jurisdictions.  That is just as bad as if the city of Tulsa were to say, Mr. Franklin, we can't approve your business permit because you are gay.  That's the thing about liberty, you have to extend it to everyone, even those you disagree with.  Most of the folks that were interviewed yesterday said they were there to support Dan Cathy's freedom of speech, not because they hated gay people. 

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:38 am »

That said, (and not directed toward you, this is in general) people need to quit loosely throwing around terms like bigot, intolerant, hateful, and other words which relate to character simply because someone has a different tradition or view.  I really don’t see how that’s any different than epithets hurled at people relating to race or sexual orientation.  That seems to be a relatively new tactic to try and intimidate others into more progressive thought.   

I beginning to think people want a reason to be pissed off and social media and forums like this gives them an easy way to express it. (Actually Mrs. C’s thought, I borrowed it from her).

Channeling the KRMG schmoes does not carry water, Crownan.  You need to cool down. I know it's a blast furnace out there, but prejudice, discrimination, and hate are not acceptable when it comes to a Nations melting pot. Philosophical differences may allow for discussion but there's a reason we are a nation of laws making the field of play level. By allowing marriage of two people, you are merely equating and leveling. I want a reason to straighten your types out and make you recognize that we are not a perfect union, but we could be a more perfect union if those who fear difference would just get some education. That's why I am on these social media avenues and forums...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2012, 10:38:28 am »

Dan Cathy has the right to believe as he wishes.
Dan Cathy has the right, as does his company to give money to whatever nut job charity he wishes.

An intelligent person should know better.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2012, 10:47:28 am »

I agree that those terms can be used too loosely and thus it can degrade the terms when they are used appropriately.   

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:24 am »

Channeling the KRMG schmoes does not carry water, Crownan.  You need to cool down. I know it's a blast furnace out there, but prejudice, discrimination, and hate are not acceptable when it comes to a Nations melting pot. Philosophical differences may allow for discussion but there's a reason we are a nation of laws making the field of play level. By allowing marriage of two people, you are merely equating and leveling. I want a reason to straighten your types out and make you recognize that we are not a perfect union, but we could be a more perfect union if those who fear difference would just get some education. That's why I am on these social media avenues and forums...

When you finally recognize where you are hateful, intolerant, and a bigot please let the rest of us know.  I and others on here can give you a few hints.

You make fun of people’s weight, religion, and character and you resort to character attacks on those with whom you disagree on issues.  What part of that exemplifies love, respect, and understanding of your fellow man or woman?

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:41 am »

Artist. Just as a general question. Are you going to be participating in todays protest?
My wifes boss is gay and she said he wouldn't waste his time going.

I also did not participate Wednesday in their appreciation day because I really don't like Chick-Fil-A.
Give me the good old Rex's boneless chicken any day.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:27 am »

An intelligent person should know better.

But you can't revoke someone's rights because they choose to be an idiot!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org