A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:53:59 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Knight Rises - discuss (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)  (Read 8275 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: July 21, 2012, 08:46:32 pm »

Saw this tonight and was mildly disappointed.

The last 1:20 saved the movie.  I found myself looking at my watch two or three times in the first half of the movie (which is a little long at 2:45).  Nolan movies usually don't make me do that.  There was quite a bit of stuff that he could have edited out I think.  Think he might have been trying to tie up too many plot devices.

I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of Anne Hathaway as Selena Kyle/Catwoman.  I know a lot of fanboys were lamenting her selection, but she was pretty spot on.  Easy on the eyes.

Michael Caine was brilliant in this movie.  As powerful a performance from him as I've seen in some time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:20:38 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »

Saw this tonight and was mildly disappointed.

The last 1:20 saved the movie.  I found myself looking at my watch two or three times in the first half of the movie (which is a little long at 2:45).  Nolan movies usually don't make me do that.  There was quite a bit of stuff that he could have edited out I think.  Think he might have been trying to tie up too many plot devices.

I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of Anne Hathaway as Selena Kyle/Catwoman.  I know a lot of fanboys were lamenting her selection, but she was pretty spot on.  Easy on the eyes.

Michael Caine was brilliant in this movie.  As powerful a performance from him as I've seen in some time.

I thought it was the best of the three. I know Ledger's performance was good in two but I had too many plot complaints.

I agree it was long, but considering close to 3 months pass from start to finish, it is hard to convey without making the watcher drag along a bit with it. I know his brother had a big hand in writing this one and I felt his Christopher Nolan did the first part and his brother was responsible for the last. And yes, there was a lot of payoff in the end but it required A LOT of setup and if it had been too condensed the setup may have been too obvious.

Catwoman was great, and it was an interesting take on Bane.

I would say if there is any complaint about the amount of time this movie takes, it should be focused on the previous movie because they took the character down such a hole in #2 that a quick "rise" would've cheapened it. They could've almost done a 3rd and 4th movie.

Nolan has said he would like to see a Catwoman movie with Hathaway. I'd like to see them do like they did with the Marvel movies. Have a Catwoman movie, and a <redacted> movie and then maybe get the band back together in 2015.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:37:47 pm by sgrizzle » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:15:38 pm »

Just saw it.... Wanted to like it, was expecting something better, was disappointed.  Plot didn't seem to pull itself together, too many large "must suspend disbelief/logic" things going on ( I am a sci-fi fan so I know all about "just go along with it" things, but things in this movie like.... the entire police force of this huge city trapped in the sewers for months... really!? oh and then all marching down the streets in unison afterwards in shiny clean uniforms, etc. )   Plus the visuals and artistry were bleh, so nothing on that front to make it interesting.  The action/flash bang stuff was rote with nothing clever, new or interesting there either.   Kind of made me angry that I bought all the hype (that at this point was obviously fake) about the movie lol.   Oh, well.   NEXT! lol

PS  Yes the ending was good, not enough to save the whole movie but thank goodness it had that vrs a lousy ending.   There are so many times these days where the little preview/snapshot/movie short type things are wonderfully superb, makes you wonder why they couldn't have strung enough of that kind of quality storytelling together to make a movie lol.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:23:44 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »

Just saw it.... Wanted to like it, was expecting something better, was disappointed.  Plot didn't seem to pull itself together, too many large "must suspend disbelief/logic" things going on ( I am a sci-fi fan so I know all about "just go along with it" things, but things in this movie like.... the entire police force of this huge city trapped in the sewers for months... really!? oh and then all marching down the streets in unison afterwards in shiny clean uniforms, etc. )   Plus the visuals and artistry were bleh, so nothing on that front to make it interesting.  The action/flash bang stuff was rote with nothing clever, new or interesting there either.   Kind of made me angry that I bought all the hype (that at this point was obviously fake) about the movie lol.   Oh, well.   NEXT! lol

PS  Yes the ending was good, not enough to save the whole movie but thank goodness it had that vrs a lousy ending.   There are so many times these days where the little preview/snapshot/movie short type things are wonderfully superb, makes you wonder why they couldn't have strung enough of that kind of quality storytelling together to make a movie lol.  

I wasn't that harsh on it, but I agree it wasn't as good as it should have been.  I think TDK was so good it was going to make any sequel he did pale in comparison.

I still think Inception was a better movie than all three of them were.  Nolan sure likes to stick with a set of actors though, doesn't he?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:40:15 am »

like.... the entire police force of this huge city trapped in the sewers for months... really!? oh and then all marching down the streets in unison afterwards in shiny clean uniforms, etc.  

1. It wasn't the entire police force. The ones not trapped were hunted down and killed, others were guarding the bridge. Others were on the other side of the bridge.
2. They noted in the movie that they had all ditched their coats and to "get them on, it's time to go"
3. They were also being given food and supplies the entire time.
4. The only one in his shiny dress uniform was the one whom the commissioner made mention specifically of him "marching down main street in your dress blues" and he was living in his house. not in the sewers.
(all of these answers in the movie)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:40 am »

I wasn't that harsh on it, but I agree it wasn't as good as it should have been.  I think TDK was so good it was going to make any sequel he did pale in comparison.

I still think Inception was a better movie than all three of them were.  Nolan sure likes to stick with a set of actors though, doesn't he?

Again, I had major problems with TDK

1. The Joker was a good character, but not "the joker" He was just a guy in a purple suit. No pranks and almost devoid of humor.
2. The scene on the boats served no purpose.
3. The cell phone bat sonar spent more time focusing on the controversy of privacy vs the common good (patriot act soapboxing) and was also pretty inconsequential to the movie.
4. The whole "batman has to take the fall" thing was pretty flimsy.
5. Characters like the Joker and the Riddler are good villain for Batman as he is supposed to be a detective and supposed to try and outwit him. There was very little cleverness or detective work at all. He might have well been just another brawler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:07 am »

Again, I had major problems with TDK

1. The Joker was a good character, but not "the joker" He was just a guy in a purple suit. No pranks and almost devoid of humor.
2. The scene on the boats served no purpose.
3. The cell phone bat sonar spent more time focusing on the controversy of privacy vs the common good (patriot act soapboxing) and was also pretty inconsequential to the movie.
4. The whole "batman has to take the fall" thing was pretty flimsy.
5. Characters like the Joker and the Riddler are good villain for Batman as he is supposed to be a detective and supposed to try and outwit him. There was very little cleverness or detective work at all. He might have well been just another brawler.

Scott, just accept the fact that some of us thought this was the lesser of the three movies.  You're trying too hard.   Wink

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:43:45 am »

Scott, just accept the fact that some of us thought this was the lesser of the three movies.  You're trying too hard.   Wink

Just pent up frustrations with TDK. I like Heath Ledger and I think he did an amazing job, but I felt his death made it to where we couldn't criticize the movie. Kinda like the shooting has made it to where WB can't promote this one.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:31 am »

You guys are spot on about it being a little long in the tooth. My gripe is why no 3D? I have grown used to watching big screen action blockbusters wearing glasses.
This is how I rank this years hero movies.

1. The Avengers.
2. The Amazing Spiderman.
3. The Dark Knight Rises.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:15 am »

You guys are spot on about it being a little long in the tooth. My gripe is why no 3D? I have grown used to watching big screen action blockbusters wearing glasses.
This is how I rank this years hero movies.

1. The Avengers.
2. The Amazing Spiderman.
3. The Dark Knight Rises.

Because Nolan has said he hates the gimmick of 3D.  I can't say I blame him.  From what I understand he had to fight Warner to make sure it wouldn't be 3D.  He made it IMAX however, like he did TDK.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:44 am »

Just pent up frustrations with TDK. I like Heath Ledger and I think he did an amazing job, but I felt his death made it to where we couldn't criticize the movie. Kinda like the shooting has made it to where WB can't promote this one.

I criticized TDK at first, but then upon subsequent viewings I altered my opinion somewhat.  But one thing I know is that TDK didn't make me look at my watch like this one did, especially during the first half.

And yes, Ledger was brilliant in that film.

The lecture that Alfred gives to Bruce though in the hallway in TDKR, might have been one of the most emotional and real scenes in the whole series.  Caine was brilliant in that scene.

I missed Lucious Fox in this movie.  When you have an actor the caliber of Freeman, don't waste him.  He got very little screen time opposed to the other two films.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:35:16 am by Hoss » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 05:24:06 pm »

Because Nolan has said he hates the gimmick of 3D.  I can't say I blame him.  From what I understand he had to fight Warner to make sure it wouldn't be 3D.  He made it IMAX however, like he did TDK.

Imax was sold out when I tried to get tickets so I want to go back for Imax.

I agree 3D can be gimmicky. I enjoy it somewhat but not in every movie. It depends a lot on how it's filmed.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:29 am »

spoiler alerts would be nice here, some of us have had to wait to go watch the movie...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 06:09:03 am »

spoiler alerts would be nice here, some of us have had to wait to go watch the movie...

Don't see anywhere in here where it's giving out plot details.

EDIT:  Oops, I do see where Scott gives some away...my mistake.  Shame on you Scott.   Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:19:49 am by Hoss » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »

Don't see anywhere in here where it's giving out plot details.

EDIT:  Oops, I do see where Scott gives some away...my mistake.  Shame on you Scott.   Grin

Wha? I just replied to what William said.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org