A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:07 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recycling cat food cans?  (Read 22382 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:20 pm »

Yesterday, Number One Daughter took our aluminum can recycling bins down to the facility in Owasso.  The attendant said that they could no longer take cat food cans.  All other aluminum cans are OK, but not the ones that had cat food.  Now, I can understand this for the large size cans because they're steel, but do the little ones have steel rims or some other metal that can't be separated?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »

Yesterday, Number One Daughter took our aluminum can recycling bins down to the facility in Owasso.  The attendant said that they could no longer take cat food cans.  All other aluminum cans are OK, but not the ones that had cat food.  Now, I can understand this for the large size cans because they're steel, but do the little ones have steel rims or some other metal that can't be separated?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Do they use the MET?  I know here recently they started allowing vegetable cans (typically steel) when they didn't previously.  I cannot see where there would be an issue with that.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 04:04:59 pm »

I don't know what the MET is, Hoss.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59:59 pm »

I don't know what the MET is, Hoss.

I think it's that worthless and BS organization headed up by some nobody in this forum.   Grin

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »

Thanks for the kudos.

Cat food cans are tricky. The local buyers of aluminum and steel don't like the cans, so they can be difficult.

Clean them well and flatten them and you should be OK. If a magnet sticks to them, they are steel, if not, they are probably aluminum. They can be recycled in either stream. Some cans are bi-metal (made with both) and they are causing recyclers across America recyclers the headaches. That is why you are having problems.

The Owasso center is part of our network, but it is the only one of 14 run by their city workers instead of M.e.t. workers. I helped build the center, including the trailer, the walkways and bought the oil tank, but I can't force them to do anything.

My best advice is to change brands to one that is steel. Take a magnet into the store with you and buy that package if possible.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »

Thanks for the kudos.

No problem, you incompetent piece of crap. jk On a related note, I was just buying some cat food to feed some elderly shut ins that I know. Now I know what is recyclable. Thanks.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »

No problem, you incompetent piece of crap. jk On a related note, I was just buying some cat food to feed some elderly shut ins that I know. Now I know what is recyclable. Thanks.

Come on now.  At least buy them dog food. It doesn't smell nearly as bad.  Milkbones are actually not that bad.   Grin

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »

Thanks for the kudos.

Cat food cans are tricky. The local buyers of aluminum and steel don't like the cans, so they can be difficult.

Clean them well and flatten them and you should be OK. If a magnet sticks to them, they are steel, if not, they are probably aluminum. They can be recycled in either stream. Some cans are bi-metal (made with both) and they are causing recyclers across America recyclers the headaches. That is why you are having problems.

The Owasso center is part of our network, but it is the only one of 14 run by their city workers instead of M.e.t. workers. I helped build the center, including the trailer, the walkways and bought the oil tank, but I can't force them to do anything.

My best advice is to change brands to one that is steel. Take a magnet into the store with you and buy that package if possible.

If I may ask another recycling question of you, what about plastics? I see from today's TW, where they listed all the things Tulsans can recycle in the new curbside recycling, it looks like quite a bit of plastics will be accepted.

Right now I'm just hoarding all my stacks of plastic containers (spinach containers, sprouts containers, various plastic food containers) and dropping them off when I travel to larger cities where they're accepted.

Will MET centers be accepting a wider range of plastics soon, or is there another place locally?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:39:14 pm »

Come on now.  At least buy them dog food. It doesn't smell nearly as bad.  Milkbones are actually not that bad.   Grin

Seriously, who didn't at least try dog biscuits when they were a kid. I did.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:17 pm »

And they clean your teeth too.

Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Simple, we feed our critters dry food only.  Too bad the rest of you let your pets sucker you into thinking they needed something difficult to recycle.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:09:10 am »

Never had a dog biscuit, but was several pieces of jerky into the package while reading the back before I actually found the word dog on it. 
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:44 am »

Will MET centers be accepting a wider range of plastics soon, or is there another place locally?

Probably. I need to make sure they are actually being recycled before I take them.

In the past, many cities collected all plastics to just later throw out everything besides the regular bottles and jugs. They figured it was just easier to sort them out than to educate people to tell the difference.

I just don't know yet. I want to be sure. I am a little skeptical because the recycling company with the new contract also owns a landfill.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 02:09:16 pm »

Probably. I need to make sure they are actually being recycled before I take them.

In the past, many cities collected all plastics to just later throw out everything besides the regular bottles and jugs. They figured it was just easier to sort them out than to educate people to tell the difference.

I just don't know yet. I want to be sure. I am a little skeptical because the recycling company with the new contract also owns a landfill.

Any updates on this subject?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org