A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:52:52 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Tulsa Art of BBQ  (Read 24697 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:33 am »

Mark your calendars.  It's just a couple of months away.
http://tulsaartofbbq.com/

It's up now.  Visit the site for more info.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:02:25 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »

somebody's calendar is broken...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:02 am »

The web group got a late start on the page.  They are working on it.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »

Great new website launched.
www.tulsaartofbbq.com

joiei
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »

Looks good,  I am ready to do some judging again this year.  The cool part is after you get your bbq on McNellie's usually has their  harvest beer event just on the other side of the railroad tracks.   

I just hope more teams seriously take up the sausage part of the event.  Not trying to be picky but the teams who throw some sauce on some hillshire farms kielbasa just doesn't cut it.   there has to be some serious sausage making teams out there.  Come on guys,  do it right.   And sausage does not have to necessarily be in casings.   Get creative.   Surely some of these teams have some venison or elk or bison in the freezer they can season up and share their creativity with the willing judges.   Not to mention how easy it is to whip up a Big Fatty to please the judges.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

Really dissappointed in the AHC for giving up the reins on the AOB...
Blah...

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:07 am »

Really dissappointed in the AHC for giving up the reins on the AOB...
Blah...

They have not given up the reins.  It operates as it always has, for the last 15 years.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:23:40 am »

Yay! It’s not on MS-150 weekend this year!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:35 am »

Looks good,  I am ready to do some judging again this year.  The cool part is after you get your bbq on McNellie's usually has their  harvest beer event just on the other side of the railroad tracks.   

I just hope more teams seriously take up the sausage part of the event.  Not trying to be picky but the teams who throw some sauce on some hillshire farms kielbasa just doesn't cut it.   there has to be some serious sausage making teams out there.  Come on guys,  do it right.   And sausage does not have to necessarily be in casings.   Get creative.   Surely some of these teams have some venison or elk or bison in the freezer they can season up and share their creativity with the willing judges.   Not to mention how easy it is to whip up a Big Fatty to please the judges.   

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

They have not given up the reins.  It operates as it always has, for the last 15 years.
Really? No. It is not.

JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:43:23 pm »

Bruno,

Still Arts and Humanities Council. Same basic board. Same hosts (Three Guys Smokin'). Same name. Same KCBS Sanctioned event. Many of the same participants. Pretty much everything is the same as it has always been.

The differences, which have nothing to do with The Arts and Humanities Council - New Location, New website, new logo, new sponsors, and we're helping out...and expanding the event a bit to include Saturday night: food vendors, a motorcycle ride, and live music.

I'm not stating my opinions or rumors heard through the grapevine. Neither is Gaspar. We're both directly involved. I promise. The same people are behind this and the same people are benefitting from it.

Hope that clears some things up. You should come.

Blake

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 06:53:31 am »

Really? No. It is not.

There are also other improvements that are important to mention.  There is no $2 fee to enter like there was at the Driller's location.  The festival is in Blue Dome, so it's surrounded by great restaurants and bars, in case you want to get out of the heat, or eat something other than BBQ.  There is parking on site.

. . .and best of all, the way it is structured allows the AHCT to raise more money and spend less on overhead.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:45 am »

I don’t want to sound like a complainer, as I do think this is a major score for downtown, but I did really like the atmosphere when it was at Schusterman.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:23:27 am »

I don’t want to sound like a complainer, as I do think this is a major score for downtown, but I did really like the atmosphere when it was at Schusterman.

Those were good times, but the lack on onsite infrastructure made the event more expensive to run, and that took money away from AHCT.  Many of the teams come in from out of town and while Schusterman was a nice open space it really didn't promote Tulsa.  In the old days, when we had it at Harweldon it was awesome, but it's grown beyond that.

Incorporating the festival into the Blue Dome area gives us the opportunity to showcase that eclectic urban atmosphere, and gives the businesses there a unique ability to participate in the event.  There are a lot of moving parts to a KCBS competition that require specialized facilities, and the fewer stages, tents, and tables we have to rent the better for AHCT. 

We had hoped that the Driller's location was to be the permanent home, however the Drillers charged AHCT a ton of money and because of that they made less there than in previous locations.  Blake has gone out of his way to make Blue Dome more profitable and comfortable for the teams and the event as a whole.

We're very excited about this year's event and the money it will raise for AHCT.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 10:13:20 am »

I wasn't aware of the location changes.   Maybe an email sent to the judges might help otherwise we will all be trying to get into the ballpark.   Personally, I am looking forward to the change and am thinking about that party on Friday night.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org