A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:23:42 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa is getting a Supercomputer  (Read 13420 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »

Oh great, now Oklahoma City will have to get one and call it "OKC's Super Supercomputer."

It will need a beard.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »

Gotta love Supercomputers!!

Got to play on a Cray XMP-48 (shows how old I am...) and a Denelcor HEP for a while.  Very cool for the time.

I have a watch more powerful than that now.

I had a friend with a Silicon Graphics box that we used to use for rendering and video production.  Used to think that was as fast as you could get!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:15 pm »

I have a watch more powerful than that now.

I had a friend with a Silicon Graphics box that we used to use for rendering and video production.  Used to think that was as fast as you could get!

Apparently there is still a market out there for old Cray's for sale.  Some people are even trying to get them running.  Some of the smaller EL systems only use 10kwatts of power or so, making them into just the coolest household heater you could imagine.  But when you get it into the front room, there is no longer room for anything else....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »

My dad was a research scientist at NIST in Maryland in the 70s and they had a huge old mothballed “super” computer. If I recall correctly it was a Univac from the 50s and it was housed in a single story building. Or it looked single story at ground level, when you walked in it was a huge room where the bottom of the floor was a basement a couple of stories down. The building was next to my dad’s lab and I used to be able to wander around it when I was a kid if I could get him to take me over there. The computer filled the room with banks of tape decks and punchcard readers. It looked like something out of Star Trek even though it was by then hopelessly out of date and unused. When I was six or seven it was awesome. I’m sure 100 of those computers couldn’t touch my iPhone today.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »

My dad was a research scientist at NIST in Maryland in the 70s and they had a huge old mothballed “super” computer. If I recall correctly it was a Univac from the 50s and it was housed in a single story building. Or it looked single story at ground level, when you walked in it was a huge room where the bottom of the floor was a basement a couple of stories down. The building was next to my dad’s lab and I used to be able to wander around it when I was a kid if I could get him to take me over there. The computer filled the room with banks of tape decks and punchcard readers. It looked like something out of Star Trek even though it was by then hopelessly out of date and unused. When I was six or seven it was awesome. I’m sure 100 of those computers couldn’t touch my iPhone today.

Line up 100 of those and they would reach around the earth 3 times.....

Big Iron.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 12:00:22 pm »

I hope it talks.

The body is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »

The body is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised

Snoo snoo

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 08:18:52 am »

You guys are all wrong.

Here is the real supercomputer.  Apparently it likes to play chess.

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:01 am »

Just read an article saying that since Tulsa was getting a super computer that OKC investors were looking into getting a super-duper computer.

Here is a sneak preview:
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:06 am »

The carbon footprint of a processing system like that is enormous. Someone call Al Gore!

Being a time-shared system, it should spend much less time idling and wasting power. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:40 pm »

Just read an article saying that since Tulsa was getting a super computer that OKC investors were looking into getting a super-duper computer.

Here is a sneak preview:

That Super-duper computer is rocking an Alphabetical non-QWRTY keyboard.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:22 am »

That Super-duper computer is rocking an Alphabetical non-QWRTY keyboard.

Starting your kids off with a non-qwerty keyboard? That's almost as bad as starting them off with Episode 1.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:43 am »

Starting your kids off with a non-qwerty keyboard? That's almost as bad as starting them off with Episode 1.

I disagree.  They can still learn a qwerty.  They can't unlearn the suck.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:19 am »

Non-qwerty keyboard vs Jar Jar Binks? Please.

Jar Jar wins every time. He is the center of all evil.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org